Return of the Emblem Chapter Six: Enemies Abound

Phoenix

'It was being pulled upwards as well?' John thought, trying to ignore the monkey.

''Wait, it isn't round right?'' He asked. 'Even if so, to have stopped it from getting away, although...'

''Gah, what's with him?'' He said, unable to ignore the noise any longer.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Veronika

After leaving with Raquel, Veronika's eyes opened in surprise- not at the rocks lifting off, but at Raquel seemingly bing lifted off as well. Eventually she picked herself off of the ground and Veronika came over.

"We may want to go back to the wagon; I don't think it would be good to cause a scene here," she said quietly to Raquel. What was that all about? she thought to herself, pondering the possible possibilities.

Nadya

Nadya began to browse the stalls, but the merchants seemed interested in something else for the moment, so she turned her attention to where they were focused. She watched the rocks lift up into the sky, which sated some of her curiosity about the event.

"Wonder how whoever's takin' 'em up knows which ones to take and which ones not to, since obviously not all the rocks in the world go up during this 'Ascension time'" she said, somewhat to herself but loud enough for others around her to hear.

Connor

After writing his wish on one of the rocks, Connor noticed that the sun was no longer shining where he was. Looking up, he saw...Gabbie and Ringo perched on top of a rock? He chuckled a little bit to himself at the event, though it became less funny when she began to be pursued by security. I guess she'll just have to pay a fine or something if she gets caught...writing on top of the rock probably isn't a terribly severe offense. he thought to himself.

Shadrak only shot Atsuko an annoyed glance. "<okay, so what would I need to do as pet? The offer is tempting, but, I have other things I'd like to do around the world before I even think of settling down ata ll, let alone as 'pet' of a race of people that most of the world views as demons. There's just so much about you I don't know I'm not even sure if I can make an accurate decision.>" He said and explained, leaning out the carriage window to watch the rocks start to take off. Heh, the last time I was in town for one of these... was a year and a half ago, and I helped make the rock my wish was on, oh... back then life was just so, so simple. Now that I've found a piece of the emblem though... things are far more complicated than I originally thought.

Raquel

Raquel quickly stuffed the emblem into her bag and closed it. Next she placed her left arm over the bag and pressed down on it hard. Impossible to see underneath her cloak, but just a precaution. Chip was outside the bag and holding onto it as well with all his might once he calmed down.

"I thought the emblem was going to get taken up with those rocks for sure. It's not really shaped like those and it's way too small so that shouldn't have happened just now. Yeah, let's ... get back to the wagon, before something else happens."

Amon and Luca

"Heheh, it's divine. Probably too complicated to understand." someone who overheard Nadya said.

"... looks like earth magic to me." Amon quietly commented. "Doesn't explain much though ..."

Luca just stared at the rocks for awhile. His instincts kept telling him that they had been thrown up and would eventually come back down. They ended up so high that from his perspective they all seemed to be directly above him, and he wasn't sure where to stand to avoid being hit if when they came back down. Then again, those things were so large, if they fell, everyone would probably die anyway. All of these thoughts were marked by Luca constantly replacing his feet, unsure where to move to, and a tilted head, trying to keep an eye on the fleeting objects.

Atsuko and Siv

<"Anything I want."> Siv answered simply with a slight smile.

<"Yeah that doesn't sound like slavery. Not one bit."> Atsuko muttered looking away.

Shadrak shook his head. "<What would that entail? Give me some examples...>" He then turned to Atsuko. "I know, by this point it's pretty literally a pet, I'm trying to find a way to use this though. She likes me, I like her, and we both have something to benifit from it." he half heartilly explained to Atsuko.

''Good idea. This isn't the best place to talk about it anyway.'' John said. 'If it wasn't for the festival... speaking of, could it be that it reacted with whatever lifts the rocks? That professor did mentioned it contained some kind of energy. I wonder...'

Raquel

"I'm not really sure." she answered. She looked up and saw that the rocks weren't all out of sight yet, but they were hundreds upon hundreds of feet up and climbing. When they made it back to the wagon, they had only missed what Shadrak had said about Siv. Atsuko's reply didn't provide a lot of context either ...

Atsuko and Siv

He likes her? So he's not just manipulating her for more information? Oh no ... Atsuko thought to herself. "Please tell me you're joking, Shadrak ... How could you possibly benefit from something like that?"

<"Examples? Hmm. Well, if I kept you as a pet, you could help me with my hair and feathers. Then I don't need my sisters help with that. I can have you carry items and all sorts of things. A pet human can listen to me when I'm sad, and I would never be alone, even when my sisters aren't around. Humans kind of look like us ... so it's not like having a hellhound or a harpy keeping you company."> she explained. <"Oh, and I could even dye your hair white so you'll look more like a Finnian. Then mother won't mind you as much.">

What the heck is a Finnian ... and why ... just why are we having this conversation? I'm not sure how much more of this I can take ...

Edited by Phoenix

Shadrak stroked his chin. "<I see...> I benifit knowledge, and protection. This girl you kidnapped is, if I'm understanding it right, the fiance' of what may very well be the most powerful creature on the face of this world. If he comes to save her, we are fucked. <Lady Siv... I... I have business I need to finish with my own kind before I would join yours...>" He said to the pair, switching between languages fluidly, as if he'd done this many times before. He turned to Raquel with friendly smile. "Hello... are you all right? You look like you've seen a ghost..."

Wagon

<"Business?"> Siv asked tilting her head.

"So that's what it is. Y-you ... shameless coward .... offering to become a lapdog just to save your own skin ..." Atsuko growled out, while clinching her fists again.

"Lapdog? So Shadrak's granting Siv's wish after all? Well, anyway, I had a very close call a moment ago. Whatever pulled the rocks up like that almost took the emblem too. I nearly lost it ..." Raquel replied to Shadrak.

They were still at it? John thought. Wait, he what!? The comment of Shadrak willfully wanting to be her 'pet' surprised him, and Atsuko's comments weren't helping. That... that... ugh. He took a deep breath. Well, it's his choice, as... messed up as it looks like.

It was about that time that Gytha retuned, nearly finished with what was easily turning into part of her dinner. "Ahoy!" she cheerfully greeted before noticing the unhappy atmosphere, "What's everyone so upset about?"

''Hm, ah, hi there.'' John said. ''Well, stuff happened, and then Shadrak here is saying he'd like to be the Siv's pet.'' He didn't bothered to hide a tone of disapproval. He certainly wasn't one to support that kind of behavior. Just what is he thinking anyway? The easy way out of this mess? He thought.

Shadrak gave Raquel the 'oh shit wah?" look, before clearing his throat. "<things to learn in my own world. I have a lot of things I want to do here before I move on to yours...>" He then addressed Atsuko. "If this Lord of theirs does show up, I might be able to save ALL of our skins, not just my own, thank you. I'm not arrogant enough just to care about myself. and.... What was that about the emblem?" He asked Raquel, turning to her looking concerned and confused.

"Ahoy, Jingle," Gytha greeted John, "Well, strange people crave strange relations, I suppose." When Shadrak mentioned how it'd save all of them is some lord happened by, she mentioned to Shadrak, "Whoever that is'd prolly just think yer touched."

Wagon

<"I wonder how long that will take ..."> Siv responded.

"Saving someone's life doesn't just amount to physical survival. Being a slave is hardly being saved at all and I would rather die than end up as demon property or anything else under their control." Atsuko vehemently replied. "... I can't speak for anyone else though." she added, toning down a bit and crossing her arms.

"... you two are ... really extreme." Raquel noted about Shadrak and Atsuko before explaining the situation with the emblem. It only took a few words. "Well, the gist of it is, the emblem almost got taken up with the rocks."

"Would that be bad? If it was taken up, then that organization'd have no more reason t' keep chasin' us or keepin' yer father as bait," Gytha asked, lightly thinking over the situation as she spoke.

Raquel

"And then what am I supposed to tell them? 'Oh I'm sorry, but I lost the emblem at the Ascension Festival and it's probably in orbit now. Can I have my father back, please?' I'm pretty sure that'll just end in a battle or something." Raquel speculated. "Besides, I'm not just trying to rescue my father. I want to take those people down before they do whatever it is they're planning. If we don't have the emblem, then they wouldn't have a hard time evading us and we'd never find them. Heck, we already haven't seen them in awhile."

"Who are you talking about?" Atsuko asked.

"This evil organization that kidnapped my father and tried to kill us a few times. We're working with Weyland for the moment to get stronger so we can beat them when the time comes."

"... I see. They must be very strong then if your training involves the demons."

Raquel nodded.

"Well, th' way I see it, if they can't go after th' emblem anymore...wouldn't they just break up? That little bauble sure seems important to 'em," asked the mariner, "I figure if they found out we really didn't have it anymore, then we wouldn't have t' say anythin'."

Feeling pleased with enjoying himself, as well as the additional odd bits and pieces he had bought from the festival, especially a whole bag of sweets in hand that he intended to share with everyone. Everyone.

Entering the wagon, Ranyin and would have happily announced, "Hey all! Look what I've got for everyone! SWEETS!!!"...if he did not spot Gytha first...

Leading to this instead, "Hey Al...Gy?! G...G...gah...Gytha?!"

"Ahoy, Ranyin. Ye choakin' r' somethin'?" Gytha greeted, a little concerned for the mage. Still there wasn't much left on the skewer she'd been eating from.

''Or maybe they would assume we're lying. A story such as 'flying away alongside the Ascension Rocks' would probably not be believed by them, perhaps.'' John said. Although, maybe she does have a point. If it's gone, then what can they hope now? Although, if they could have a way to get it back... He thought.

Not soon after did Ranyin entered. ''Hi there.'' Oh right, he is afraid of her. It almost made him want to laugh again. He remembered quite well of back then in the University.

Wagon

<"That's ... eight seasons?"> Siv asked with a frown.

"I really doubt they'll just leave us alone. They didn't just try to take the emblem. Remember when that Silvia girl attacked Amon and gave him that message about joining them?" As Raquel said that, she thought about her father again. Maybe that's what was going on. If he was really going to be used as a ransom, then the next time she encountered them, she would probably see him, and the painful choices would be laid out for her. On the other hand, maybe they were up to something worse ...

"I'm not really sure how to describe it exactly. I was holding the emblem, and something was tugging at it. It was being pulled straight up just like the rocks."

"Maybe Nature liked it or somethin'. Nature's th' one who takes th' rocks, aye?" Gytha casually suggested before biting off the remainder of her snack, chewing it and swallowing it.

Ranyin quickly gathered his composure. After all he had the perfect offerings for an Oni.

Opening the new bag he had purchased to hold his sweets, Ranyin took out a fist full of coloured paper-wrapped goodies and offered them out to anyone nearby saying excitedly, forgetting his fear of Gytha for a moment, "Well...I've got sweets for everyone!"