Fire Emblem settings that you would like to see for future installments

IGdood

It seems like most of the time the Fire Emblem setting is a fantasy counterpart culture of the European medieval era.

What settings/cultural themes would you like to see in future installments?

I want a shift to a more Asian theme; the armors are more colorful and funny-looking, although a shift to the Hellenic age or over-the-top Bling of War Renaissance Europe wouldn't hurt too. Class names would probably stay the same.

26_57567_180227851bdebeb.jpg

59298984.jpg

Just something different.

I'd also want to see jungle environments....

It's a longshot, but future settings, with like phasers for bows, magical tomes seen as more of the term of a "new science" than magic, laser/ lightsaber-esque weapons, with different rays being higher grade of weaponry (e.g- Silver, Steel and Iron), jets being pegasus, not sure about horses though, cyber punk motorcycles? xD

I don't know, I know I am going to get hounded on this, but I always thought the future was awesome growing up with a Star Wars geek father n' all...

It's a longshot, but future settings, with like phasers for bows, magical tomes seen as more of the term of a "new science" than magic, laser/ lightsaber-esque weapons, with different rays being higher grade of weaponry (e.g- Silver, Steel and Iron), jets being pegasus, not sure about horses though, cyber punk motorcycles? xD

I don't know, I know I am going to get hounded on this, but I always thought the future was awesome growing up with a Star Wars geek father n' all...

Glad to see I'm not the only one. I second this.

I do recall someone posting that he/she dreamt of a World War I era of Fire Emblem. I'd second that too.

And if there be hounds, unleash teh guns!

To be honest, FE takes place in my favorite time period in history. I'd keep it that way, like Whase said. I find it the most enjoyable. However, I wouldn't mind it too much. It would be a nice change for a game or so, but for the overall series, I'd stick with medieval.

For FE, not past Medieval, IMO. Maybe have some early guns, but nothing past that. Hellenic? Good, although I don't know how you'd do phalanxes and such. Maybe they could allow for multiple units to create formations together or something. Asian? Good. But not past Medieval. As much fun as some games taking place later can be, it just wouldn't feel like Fire Emblem if it was World War 1. Thinking about it, it doesn't seem like all that much fun, either.

Edited by Rewjeo

Samurai!

High Strength

High Speed

Avg. Skill

Avg. Luck

Below Avg. HP

Low Defense

Low Resistance. Like Mathew low.

So... pretty much a Swordmaster? ;)

I'd rather keep Fire Emblem based on medievil Europe.

Edited by Swordsalmon

I sense a spin-off

The problem I have is that the more advanced you get, the more long-ranged things are, and that becomes less interesting for a Fire Emblem type game, IMO. I mean, what if all of your units were 3-10 range? That completely changes things.

You're absolutely correct...the further we go in time, the less melee weapons are used and the more ranged weapons are used. Fire Emblem and its current time-theme go together perfectly. I wouldn't mind a shift from European to Asian, however.

For FE, not past Medieval, IMO. Maybe have some early guns, but nothing past that. Hellenic? Good, although I don't know how you'd do phalanxes and such. Maybe they could allow for multiple units to create formations together or something. Asian? Good. But not past Medieval. As much fun as some games taking place later can be, it just wouldn't feel like Fire Emblem if it was World War 1. Thinking about it, it doesn't seem like all that much fun, either.

Yeah, I think the general consensus seems to fall in the Medieval to Pre-Gunpowder Age with regards to the era, but the cultural appearances of the characters can be switched around Hellenic/Feudal Japan/Imperial China....etc.

I don't believe there would be much of an uproar if guns were treated the same as bows or even crossbows. Just give a high attack, low accuracy....probably doesn't need a bonus against armor otherwise it would be OP.

If it was the Hellenic age I think formations can be disregarded....I'm just looking for different appearances to the same job classes. So no need to rename the job classes...perhaps.

But if indeed classes do get renamed to a name more appropriate to the setting, I'm cool with it.

Regular/Hellenic/Japanese

Lord/Imperator/Daimyo

Mercenary/Hypaspist/Ji-Samurai

Hero/Somatophylax/Ronin

Myrmidon/Myrmidon/Swordfighter The term "Myrmidon" itself is Hellenic in origin anyways.

Swordsmaster/can't think of a Hellenic equivalent/Kensai

Thief/Thief/Shinobi

Assassin/Assassin/Ninja

Armor Knight/Triarii/Hatamoto Guard

General/Centurion/Taisho

Soldier/Hoplite/Ashigaru

Fighter/Barbarian/Sohei

Warrior/Gladiator/Ikko-Ikki

Mages and Healers would probably share the same name.

Pirate/Raider/Wako Raider

Berzerker/Keels/Wako Pirate

Archer/Toxotes/Yumi

Sniper/Gastrophetes/Daikyu

Nomad/Sarissophoroi/Bow Cavalry

Nomad Trooper/Prodromos/Yabusame

Cavalier/Hippikon/Samurai

Paladin/Hetairoi/Goshinban

Not sure what to say about Pegasus Knights or Wyvern Knights.

The problem I have is that the more advanced you get, the more long-ranged things are, and that becomes less interesting for a Fire Emblem type game, IMO. I mean, what if all of your units were 3-10 range? That completely changes things.

Perhaps things can be scaled like in Advance Wars. Short-ranged attacks (pistols, machine guns) generally become 1-square, long-ranged (sniper rifles, missiles) can be 2-3 squares. Things may get rather long-ranged as you progress to more modern periods

I'm gonna comment on some of the names you listed from what I personally know. The idea of an FE surrounding a different culture certainly interests me.

Lord/Imperator/Daimyo

I feel it would be weird to have the main character be in the "Imperator" class, myself. I think lord would work just fine.

Armor Knight/Triarii/Hatamoto Guard

Wouldn't it be a Triarius? Interesting to mix different Mediterranean cultures from that time, though. Then what about Immortal for Hellenic Swordmaster? They've at least been represented in games as swordsmen before. I can't say I know much about what Immortals were really like.

Fighter/Barbarian/Sohei

Isn't Sohei "warrior monk?" I could certainly see it as a class, but I don't know that I'd say it's the same as fighter or brigand.

Warrior/Gladiator/Ikko-Ikki

Wait, I'm confused as to how Gladiator and religion can be similar.

Archer/Toxotes/Yumi

Yumi just means bow, doesn't it? Or does it also mean someone who wields a bow?

Sniper/Gastrophetes/Daikyu

I'm fairly sure Gastraphetes used crossbows.

Nomad/Sarissophoroi/Bow Cavalry

I have never heard of Sarissophoroi myself, but there were plenty of horse archers around that time that you could draw names from. So many from that time.

Cavalier/Hippikon/Samurai

Wasn't the bow the Samurai's main weapon? I think samurai would actually be a better name for bow cavalry. Actually, a Samurai would probably be closer to a Master Knight than anything else.

Not sure what to say about Pegasus Knights or Wyvern Knights.

Well, Pegasus is from Greek mythology. Not sure about Dragon Knights, though. Perhaps we could get some Asian mythological creatures in a Japanese-based FE?

I'm gonna comment on some of the names you listed from what I personally know. The idea of an FE surrounding a different culture certainly interests me.

Heheheh okay =)

I feel it would be weird to have the main character be in the "Imperator" class, myself. I think lord would work just fine.

Yeah, I guess Lord would work just fine....I tend to associate Lord with the medieval period though, but that's just me.

Wouldn't it be a Triarius? Interesting to mix different Mediterranean cultures from that time, though. Then what about Immortal for Hellenic Swordmaster? They've at least been represented in games as swordsmen before. I can't say I know much about what Immortals were really like.

Hm, right, triarius. I keep forgetting the singular form of Latin. And yeah...Immortal would definitely work....it just didn't cross my mind. They're always shown as elite swordsmen...

Isn't Sohei "warrior monk?" I could certainly see it as a class, but I don't know that I'd say it's the same as fighter or brigand.

Not the same as a fighter or brigand, but their stats are mostly the same. Emphasis on overwhelming offense and leaving a lot to desire for speed. And they've got high health. One coming from being rough and muscular and the other having fanatical morale/willpower.

Wait, I'm confused as to how Gladiator and religion can be similar.

Yeah I wasn't sure what a warrior monk can class up into....so I randomly threw in Ikko-Ikki. I forgot if that term was used before as an Age of Empires 3 unit or if my memory is failing me.

Yumi just means bow, doesn't it? Or does it also mean someone who wields a bow?

Indeed, it just means bow, I guess Yumi Archer/Yumi Bowman would work but FE tends to keep the class names simple.

I'm fairly sure Gastraphetes used crossbows.

They did, but "Sniper" doesn't fit in the Hellenic world.

I have never heard of Sarissophoroi myself, but there were plenty of horse archers around that time that you could draw names from. So many from that time.

I grabbed it off the unit list for the Greeks in Age of Empires Online. I guess if we keep to the "foreign" feel of the nomad classes (Sacaens would be the Mongols) then they could be Sarmatian/Scythian and in the Asian world they'd be called Mangudai/Keshik

Wasn't the bow the Samurai's main weapon? I think samurai would actually be a better name for bow cavalry. Actually, a Samurai would probably be closer to a Master Knight than anything else.

Hm, yeah. I can't think of a Japanese-ish term for Cavalier...since basically any cavalry would be just plain samurai.

Well, Pegasus is from Greek mythology. Not sure about Dragon Knights, though. Perhaps we could get some Asian mythological creatures in a Japanese-based FE?

Probably, although I only know of the non-flying ones like the Kappa and the Qirin....

Yeah, I guess Lord would work just fine....I tend to associate Lord with the medieval period though, but that's just me.

But can you imagine Eliwood the Imperator?

Hm, right, triarius. I keep forgetting the singular form of Latin. And yeah...Immortal would definitely work....it just didn't cross my mind. They're always shown as elite swordsmen...

I only thought of triarius because a triarii sounded weird to me and I was like "Oh, yeah! TrirariUS."

According to Wikipedia, Immortals used spears, swords, and bows. Well, it wouldn't be the least inaccurate thing FE has done.

Not the same as a fighter or brigand, but their stats are mostly the same. Emphasis on overwhelming offense and leaving a lot to desire for speed. And they've got high health. One coming from being rough and muscular and the other having fanatical morale/willpower.

I would imagine their speed would be rather high, personally. Without high speed, their offense wouldn't be particularly overwhelming.

Yeah I wasn't sure what a warrior monk can class up into....so I randomly threw in Ikko-Ikki. I forgot if that term was used before as an Age of Empires 3 unit or if my memory is failing me.

Hm, Civ 3 used Yamabushi. "Yamabushi (山伏?) (Literally: "One who lies/hides in the mountains")[1] are Japanese mountain ascetic hermits[1] with a long tradition as mighty warriors endowed with supernatural powers." Sounds like it fits to me.

Indeed, it just means bow, I guess Yumi Archer/Yumi Bowman would work but FE tends to keep the class names simple.

They did, but "Sniper" doesn't fit in the Hellenic world.

You could just go with Japanese for archer/bowman... which I am forgetting right now.

Meh. Gastraphetes seems weird to me, but I don't know what else you'd use.

Hm, yeah. I can't think of a Japanese-ish term for Cavalier...since basically any cavalry would be just plain samurai.

Well, it would make sense with Japanese history to not have many horse units anyways, no?

Probably, although I only know of the non-flying ones like the Kappa and the Qirin....

There are Asian dragons. That's all I know of as far as flying ones, though...

But can you imagine Eliwood the Imperator?

No but there can be HECTORUS or ELIWOODUS. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Hm, Civ 3 used Yamabushi. "Yamabushi (山伏?) (Literally: "One who lies/hides in the mountains")[1] are Japanese mountain ascetic hermits[1] with a long tradition as mighty warriors endowed with supernatural powers." Sounds like it fits to me.

Oh. Right. Yeah. Those.

You could just go with Japanese for archer/bowman... which I am forgetting right now.

Yumi-tai Ashigaru or however the heck they pronounce their unit names in Shogun 2 Total War.

Well, it would make sense with Japanese history to not have many horse units anyways, no?

Yeah....

No but there can be HECTORUS or ELIWOODUS. gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

While we're at it, can we change Lyndis to LYNDUS and make her a man?

Yumi-tai Ashigaru or however the heck they pronounce their unit names in Shogun 2 Total War.

No, there's a generic name for "a person who uses bows" that I'm thinking of. I can't remember what it is, though. Yumitai Ashigaru is rather specific.

While we're at it, can we change Lyndis to LYNDUS and make her a man?

That works too.....I suppose.

No, there's a generic name for "a person who uses bows" that I'm thinking of. I can't remember what it is, though. Yumitai Ashigaru is rather specific.

Yojimbo? Oh wait.... Parivir? No no...those are from Final Fantasy....