I have no where else to turn

Lux Aeterna

CHEMISTRY HAS GOT ME BOGGED. I'M TWO QUESTIONS AWAY FROM FINISHING... but I can't figure out these. If anyone can help--and tell me how they figured it out (I need to show my work), pleeeease do. :< The first question...

In the United States, water used for irrigation is measured in acre-feet. An acre-foot of water covers an acre to a depth of exactly 1 ft. An acre is 4840 yd2. An acre-foot is enough water to supply two typical households for 1 yr. Assume desalinated water costs about $3000 per acre-foot.

(a) How much does desalinated water cost per liter?

(b)How much would it cost one household per day if it were the only source of water?

and the second:

Gold is alloyed (mixed) with other metals to increase its hardness in making jewelry.

(a) Consider a piece of gold jewelry that weighs 9.75 g and has a volume of 0.665 cm3. The jewelry contains only gold and silver, which have densities of 19.3 g/cm3 and 10.5 g/cm3, respectively. If the total volume of the jewelry is the sum of the volumes of the gold and silver that it contains, calculate the percentage of gold (by mass) in the jewelry.

(b) The relative amount of gold in an alloy is commonly expressed in units of karats. Pure gold is 24-karat, and the percentage of gold in an alloy is given as a percentage of this value. For example, an alloy that is 50 percent gold is 12-karat. State the purity of the gold jewelry in karats.

Thanks in advance.

1B seems easy enough. The question states that

An acre-foot is enough water to supply two typical households for 1 yr. Assume desalinated water costs about $3000 per acre-foot.

We are trying to find out how much it costs to supply one household for a day, right?

$3000/2=$1500 to supply one house with water for a year, $1500/365=$4.10whatever So assumimng non leap years, about $4.10 to get water to one household for one day, right?

EDIT-SInce my answer didn't pop up in Kai's, lemme know what I did wrong.

Edited by Blue Mars

1B seems easy enough. The question states that

We are trying to find out how much it costs to supply one household for a day, right?

$3000/2=$1500 to supply one house with water for a year, $1500/365=$4.10whatever So assumimng non leap years, about $4.10 to get water to one household for one day, right?

EDIT-SInce my answer didn't pop up in Kai's, lemme know what I did wrong.

I tried that before I looked at this. The webassign thing said it was wrong.

EDIT: Well that is absolutely fucking retarded. It had me just say "4 dollars a day" and somehow that was right. Whatever.

EDIT2: Actually, significant figures dictates that $3000 dollars only has one significant figure, which means that the answer should be $4, scientifically speaking. But that's not how much it actually costs...

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Hah. A class for those on the slow track to college in my district, anyway! And yes, of course you want to get into a competitive college for retarded reasons I can't fathom.

Well, 1. It's Honors. And 2. My only other option would be AP Environmental.

Gold is alloyed (mixed) with other metals to increase its hardness in making jewelry.

(a) Consider a piece of gold jewelry that weighs 9.75 g and has a volume of 0.665 cm3. The jewelry contains only gold and silver, which have densities of 19.3 g/cm3 and 10.5 g/cm3, respectively. If the total volume of the jewelry is the sum of the volumes of the gold and silver that it contains, calculate the percentage of gold (by mass) in the jewelry.

(b) The relative amount of gold in an alloy is commonly expressed in units of karats. Pure gold is 24-karat, and the percentage of gold in an alloy is given as a percentage of this value. For example, an alloy that is 50 percent gold is 12-karat. State the purity of the gold jewelry in karats.

I don't think there's enough information here to solve (a) :|

Edit: I GOT IT

Okay so to solve (a) we have to use our good old friend, simultaneous equations. I don't know how familiar you are with them so I'll just continue and hopefully you get it.

So first of all, we have two unknowns: the volumes of gold and silver. So assign a variable to each; v(gold) = x, v(silver) = y.

Now we know that the total volume has to be 0.665, so x + y = 0.665.

Also, volume x density = mass, so mass(gold) = 19.3x and mass(silver) = 10.5y. They total to 0.75, so 19.3x + 10.5y = 9.75.

Now, good old simultaneous equations comes in. We have two equations:

19.3x + 10.5y = 9.75

x + y = 0.665

Since we want to cancel out one pronumeral, multiply the bottom by 10.5 (you can do 19.3, but I like solving for x first)

This gives the following:

1. 19.3x + 10.5y = 9.75

2. 10.5x + 10.5y = 6.983

Now we go 1. - 2., cancelling out y, and giving the following:

8.8x = 2.767

Solve for x.

x = 0.3144

So we have the volume of gold.

Substitute x back into x + y = 0.665

0.3144 + y = 0.665

Solve for y:

y = 0.3506

Now that we have both our volumes and our densities, you can just use density x volume = mass

0.3144*19.3 = 6.07g. And m/m% = (6.07/9.75)*100 = 62.3% (3 s.f.)

(b) is easy. It's just 62.3% of 24, so 0.623*24 = 15.0 (3 s.f. rounded from 14.95) carats (carat?)

Edit 2: lol, beaten by first post

Edited by Agromono