Cannot delete/move a file

Florete

As stated. It's an MKV file that I've had for a while. It's in a folder on my desktop now, but originally it was in my Downloads folder (so I've moved it once in the past). I basically can't alter it in any way. Explorer freezes if I try to rename it, I get a never-ending (and I once left it up for over half an hour) "Moving" message if I try to move or delete it, I can't bring up Properties at all, and I can't do anything with the folder it's in, either, including renaming, etc. I can still open the file just fine (it's an episode of a tv show) and change the default program used to open it. I can make a Copy of it with which I can do anything as well. I basically just can't do anything that would effect the original file. I have also scanned my computer, the file, and the folder for viruses or whatever else there may be and gotten nothing. My computer has been restarted more than once since I discovered the problem and nothing changed.

I tried Googling but couldn't find anything. Oh, and I use Windows 7 Ultimate if that's important.

Help?

Have you tried running the task manager to see if there are any processes that might be accessing it that run by default? That might stop you from being able to move/delete it. I've had that problem once, but my computer actually said that I couldn't do it because a program was accessing the file, and I either ended the process via the task manager or simply reset the computer, I don't remember, and you've tried the latter already.

Ever try going in safe mode first then try to delete it?

No, but I will.

Have you tried running the task manager to see if there are any processes that might be accessing it that run by default? That might stop you from being able to move/delete it. I've had that problem once, but my computer actually said that I couldn't do it because a program was accessing the file, and I either ended the process via the task manager or simply reset the computer, I don't remember, and you've tried the latter already.

I haven't checked, but that can't be the case. I download and watch shows like this all the time and this situation has never come up. The other episodes in the series did not have this problem. Anything that might have been accessing it should have stopped when I reset the computer.

Also, I've had that problem with other files in the past, but it always told me that something else was accessing it or whatever. That's not happening here. It's more like it's trying to move it but never gets anywhere.

Try booting around Windows, and seeing if you can move it that way.

...What?

• 3 weeks later...

Ugh.

So, I'm having this problem again with a new file. Only it's gotten worse. What fixed it last time (reset) didn't work, Safe Mode didn't work, any fiddling in the Command Prompt I could find to do didn't work. What's worse is that it's on my Desktop and having the folder it's in open at all (having Explorer working in this case) causes my CPU usage to skyrocket. I've done everything I did before and more. No success.

I think I need a new computer.

EDIT: Finally got rid of that piece of shit.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire