The knight ring of FE4

omglmaowtf

Here's how it goes:

By the time my mounted characters (Sigurd, Cuan, Lex, Fin, Ethlin) get somewhat quite near Lachesis' castle, Elliot's army would already have gang-killed off a Paladin or at least got it to near-death

So how is it possible to get the knight ring? It won't respawn in Gen2

Even if you rush as far as possible, the enemy troops will mount an attack on the three brothers before you can intervene. A lot of it is pretty much luck. You can sway the odds in your favor by having your characters with certain stats, possibly luring the enemy away from the brothers and to yours... I know in some hacks, you lose the ability to do even 1 damage no matter what--so bull-rushing the strongest mounts didn't really help when the enemy just ignored something they knew they couldn't damage >.>

If you rush max MOV all the way, some of Whatshisface's cronies will get a shot off on the leftmost brother. By the time they can all start messing with your plans, you can be all there.

It's still mostly luck though.

If you recruit Lachesis as soon as possible, then the knights will start attacking the enemies, but I'm not sure if you want to do that, since sometimes they will attack too much and actually suicide on the enemies and stuff.

When Lachesis is not recruited the Paladins hold formation around the entrance to Nodion, although they will attack any enemies right next to them. After you recruit Lachesis they will group around her unless there is an enemy in their range in which case they engage in Leeroy Jenkins tactics and, as far as I know, won't stop charging and attacking until they reach the next castle. This is particularly worth noting if you want all 3 to survive as they'll stay out of the way if you keep Lachesis out of the way.

As for actually getting to them before they die, all you can do is charge Sigurd, Cuan and Lex at full speed (better to give the strongest units priority to the spaces at the end of everyone's movement ranges), bearing in mind that roads give slightly increased movement, with the rest of the army following as quickly as it can behind them, the rest is just luck. Don't recruit Lachesis until there are no enemies in the Paladins' ranges or they'll charge in and get themselves killed.

Elliot's troops are easy. Just have Sigurd recruit Lachesis after he kills someone, then have Ethlin give healing support while Lex attacks the enemies and Midayle weakens Elliot enough to get Cuan to kill him. Remember, you also have to rush in order to save the villages from Anphony.

Elliot's troops are easy, but the point stands that one of the brothers is liable to die before Ethlin is even in range to heal them. Those bitches have a randomly high target priority sometimes.

That's why I'd say don't recruit Lachesis until there are no enemies in the 3 paladins' range: if there are no enemies they'll group around Lachesis but if there are they'll charge in and do their darnedest to get themselves killed. Even if you're playing efficiently and to get the bargain ring just wait one or two turns until Sigurd, Cuan, Lex and Ethlin can get everything under control.

Let me guess: you tried to get Lachesis some kills, and the Paladins end up kamikaze diving into the mob of enemies?

Uh, no, I didn't even recruit Lachesis to keep the knights in formation. I rarely recruit her until the enemy is about to get polished off.

As said, the leftmost bro can die depending on enemy luck before you can reliably save him.

Once you get past Elliot, there's no chance for the brothers to die if you play smart.

Before that, though, it's a coin toss on Elliot's knights and their AI. If you get unlucky with all the knights going for one brother, you're pretty screwed.

As in, they can die before you get close enough, so don't come back with Ethlin bullshit.

I meant after dealing with Elliot and starting on the rest of the level.

Oh, of course you mean after the period of highest risk. That's why you mentioned it before, and all.

• 1 month later...

One of the few places where save abuse is acceptable. Save after your Turn 1 arena responsibilities and, if the dice don't roll in your favor, have Ardan burn some RNs in the arena.