The yarnhouse!

Chocolate Kitty

Basically, you guys post a map palette you want, I make the map palette(as in GBA insert able) and PM it to you, unless you specify it will be public, then I will post in the thread. Any type of map palette is fine, from small edits to large ones. Just make sure that what you're asking is possible(IE: A castle map with grass and water different colors will not work).

Note: Feaw has made a ton of map palettes, if you want to use the ones he's made, you'll need permission from him. I've made most of them already.

As if anyone else makes and posts a map palette you wish to use, ask the creator's permission.

Current list(Listed by priority):

Feaw - Castle of Love

Finished list(Note, some of these are just minor edits):

Pherae Castle(Feaw)

Arid Overworld(Feaw)

Castle Gold(Grass version and water version sperate, Done by SL, yell at me if I can't post this please, palette made by Feaw)

Snow Castle(Feaw)

Chocolate Fort(Feaw)

Any questions, feel free to ask. If these are used in any hacks, I just ask for credit, no permission from me is needed.

Edited by Kitty of Time

I vote for a tutorial on this instead. Then you can just tell people to do it themselves gee_wiz_emoticon.gif

Just to clarify, this is for changing the colors of a tileset, not adding more tiles, right?

Edited by Primefusion

This is neat but I don't understand what is in the "Finished list"--lots of them have names for places that are already in canon games, meaning... they're rips? But why post rips if they already have rips in the tileset folders? Also what is the base for the tilesets, like which palette is for what original tileset for what original game?

I apologize in advance for my stupidity in comprehending the subject matter.

It's cool, basically the finished section is all the rips of palettes I have in my possession, I haven't gotten to uploading them yet, most likely I'll be doing that later today. I'm not posting for people to obtain tilesets for mappy, I'm posting them so they know what the tileset palette itself looks like so it's not a surprise when they insert it in-game. Perhaps I'll just post custom palettes rather than normal ones used GBA FE's.

Also what is the base for the tilesets, like which palette is for what original tileset for what original game?

I'm not sure I understand this part though, can you explain what you mean?

Edited by Kitty of Time

Pretty sure he means what tileset to replace for inserting a new one.

In which case I don't think it matters, other than that the tiles themselves have to match, the palette doesn't matter (since they're just palettes).

Edited by Fawful

The process is already common knowledge--you edit the palette just like any other palette really.

@KoT thanks for the explanation, I think I get it now. Don't worry about the other part, I was just wondering what the tile set values were (e.g. 1C1D1E1F) and the game each tile set palette is for.

What's common knowledge to us isn't common knowledge to everyone. While there are numerous resources which detail how to edit colors in some of these older games, not all of these resources are going to survive over time. Someone might come into this thread at some point when it's no longer active, looking for help with this particular problem--maybe Kitty of Time is no longer active here, or maybe the entire site has been archived for one reason or another. It's important to try and help people--providing a service is only a valid aid so long as the server is available. Whereas if even a tiny link, explanation, or even copy/paste of the process, one doesn't need to depend on the server. One can make use of the service while it's still active--but they can also learn how to do it themselves.

Tbh, there isn't really any tutorial :/

You just edit the hex numbers, there is no super special secret.

Honestly.

Resources? GBA color picker, APE, Paint.

You find what color is replacing which(by checking colors with GBA color picker and APE, and replace accordingly.

There are more palette tutorials than there are colors in a battle palette, finding one really can't be that hard, especially given that the Ultimate Tutorial covers palette editing in so much detail it's obnoxious.

At least that's the way I see it, and I can't do much more to make hacking resources available than I do without going berserk and having people up my ass about over-advertising shit. I suppose I'm biased in that I have better googling skills than most people I've met online, so KoT could say in the topic title "to do this yourself look up any old palette editing tutorial" or something though it's pretty implied that when you're editing palettes you need a palette tutorial. Don't know any other solutions to make common knowledge anymore common though...

EDIT: I guess by "common knowledge" I really mean "public knowledge" which aren't synonymous terms, my bad there.

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

• 2 weeks later...

I will be honest, we don't have any tutorials in editing the specifics of the palettes of maps. But we do have plenty of tutorials regarding the palettes in general. I do agree a tutorial on this subject in specific could be easily done by just compiling info from a generic palette editing tutorial and adding a couple of paragraphs on the specifics of this technique, so the existence of one or not is seriously just a matter of 1 hour of an able hacker's time. :) Plus, honestly, there are tutorials in subjects more important than a specific editing of a specific kind of palette of a specific kind of image, IMO. But said tutorial still would be a very nice idea because it would be quick to make, and as Celice said would make it so when this service is no longer available the technique will still be, so yeah. :)

What I can gather from this is that KoT wants to provide the service, much like I provided people the service of making custom stat sheets many years ago, before there were programs specialized in doing those(Mine still looked better than the program's, modesty aside! :D) If there is or not a tutorial on the job, that doesn't make it less boring, and if KoT wants to provide said job to the community because he finds himself good at it and believes strongly in his technique, I say he should indeed do it. :)

And KoT, I don't have the images now, but later can you help me with a specific project? I will customize a tile sheet later, and will be needing a new palette for it more likely than not, so would you be willing to help me with a slightly more difficult job later on then? :)

Edited by Ryrumeli