BlackSoulou's Gallery

BlackSoulou

Hello SF and welcome to my gallery! It is currently overloaded with empty space, and I will try really hard to fill in the holes with quality content, hopefully. I'll mainly post custom maps, at different stages of completion, all for the sake of godsend feedback. And when I get over my fear of spriting, there'll be some portraits too. This is also a showcase for my hack, meaning contributions made by other people may find their place here, provided that they allowed me to in the first place.

Maps

Fire Emblem: Unsung Heroes Chapter maps

Updated! My first map, probably going to serve in the prologue chapter:

Completion: 100%

UHPrologue.jpg

Event Maps

Black Fang HQ

Completion: 95% -->I didn't have comebacks on that one yet. But it's mostly complete.

BlackFangHqscrn.jpg

Other

Lycia-Bern Border Fort

Completion: 95% --> No feedback yet. I might revise some things.

BorderFort.jpg

Edited by BlackSoulou

I kinda like the concept. It doesn't really look like a prologue map to me, though (although it could be an early chapter for sure). I mean, an extra path off to the side (where it looks like reinforcements might come in)? Red (item-offering, conventionally) houses?

It's also kind of unfortunate that the terrain placement, while it looks natural enough, will probably have little to no tactical value.

I kinda like the concept. It doesn't really look like a prologue map to me, though (although it could be an early chapter for sure). I mean, an extra path off to the side (where it looks like reinforcements might come in)? Red (item-offering, conventionally) houses?

It's also kind of unfortunate that the terrain placement, while it looks natural enough, will probably have little to no tactical value.

You could say the prologue is a defense chapter, and the ally units start just outside the inn, with the boss past the stairs. The objective is still to defeat the enemy though. I'm not really going for tactical value with this one but I'd like to hear more nonetheless. How could I add *some* tactical value to it?

EDIT: By defense I mean that enemies are more coming after you than the opposite. There's nothing to defend really. Hope that clear things up.

Edited by BlackSoulou

You could say the prologue is a defense chapter, and the ally units start just outside the inn, with the boss past the stairs. The objective is still to defeat the enemy though.

You could, but that would be really weird to have a in a prologue.

You don't need a prologue, anyway, really; typically these are supposed to have some tutorial value, and hacks are generally not played by people who need a tutorial.

I'm not really going for tactical value with this one but I'd like to hear more nonetheless. How could I add *some* tactical value to it?

By getting the forest tiles closer to the paths that an efficient player would want to actually take, and putting them in places that help vs. important non-moving enemies. The best examples I can think of are Chapters 2 (except imagine you didn't have the big U-bend to deal with) and 7 (except ignore the right half of the map) in FE6.

But you don't need to do that; forest tiles serve an important role as decoration as well.

Edited by zahlman

You don't need a prologue, anyway, really; typically these are supposed to have some tutorial value, and hacks are generally not played by people who need a tutorial.

By getting the forest tiles closer to the paths that an efficient player would want to actually take, and putting them in places that help vs. important non-moving enemies. The best examples I can think of are Chapters 2 (except imagine you didn't have the big U-bend to deal with) and 7 (except ignore the right half of the map) in FE6.

But you don't need to do that; forest tiles serve an important role as decoration as well.

There's nothing saying that a Prologue/first chapter can't have a decidedly different objective, though. Just because it hasn't appeared in any other FE title or hack (well, it's possible that it might have and I'm just not aware of it) doesn't mean that it's forbidden. Plus, as you say, this is for a hack, so players should already be accustomed to the various types of objectives found in Fire Emblem. With that in mind, a Defend chapter doesn't seem too outrageous as the first chapter in a project (despite the fact that it has been said that it will be Rout anyway).

(And, to be nitpicky, the word "prologue" does not necessarily imply a "tutorial"; it just means that it is an introduction of some sorts. Hypothetically, this chapter could be a scene set years/months/etc. before the actual main events of the project and it serves as an introduction by giving the details that precipitated those events.)

----------------

As for the actual map...

Since there's a height change with the stairs, the lower wall segment will need to be taller to compensate. Aside from that, the only thing that jumps out at me at the moment is the stairs outside of the Inn. I'm assuming that they're there as a cellar entrance or something, but they do kind of jump out a tad, being near outside tiles. Depending on its purpose, you might consider building a very small "room" or something around it (using some of the castle tiles). Also, though it's still a WIP, I would think that a village wouldn't be completely barren in places when it comes to landscaping, so maybe add a Forest tile in a couple of places in the lower-left quarter of the map?

EDIT - Since this appears as though it will mainly be sprite-related, I'll move this into the subforum. If you plan on posting art (character designs, etc.) or some type of written work (plot outlines, script drafts, and so on), please let a staff member know, and we can move it back up to Creative for you.

Edited by Lord Glenn

damn, I was hoping you were trying some new stile of mapping that was more rectangular to troll people and pass it off as "it's a style choice".

I'd end up self-trolling eventually with that "style" you're talking about. dry.gif

-Prologue: It would feel empty without a prologue, like it was rushed to chapter 1. Opening and closing scenes are also part of the prologue, and they fit perfectly for the prologue.

-Forest tiles: I'm working on that, as well as struggling with the subtleties of mountains and roads, which I plan to be a bit more refined than they currently are.

There's nothing saying that a Prologue/first chapter can't have a decidedly different objective, though. Just because it hasn't appeared in any other FE title or hack (well, it's possible that it might have and I'm just not aware of it) doesn't mean that it's forbidden. Plus, as you say, this is for a hack, so players should already be accustomed to the various types of objectives found in Fire Emblem. With that in mind, a Defend chapter doesn't seem too outrageous as the first chapter in a project (despite the fact that it has been said that it will be Rout anyway).

(And, to be nitpicky, the word "prologue" does not necessarily imply a "tutorial"; it just means that it is an introduction of some sorts. Hypothetically, this chapter could be a scene set years/months/etc. before the actual main events of the project and it serves as an introduction by giving the details that precipitated those events.)

----------------

As for the actual map...

Since there's a height change with the stairs, the lower wall segment will need to be taller to compensate. Aside from that, the only thing that jumps out at me at the moment is the stairs outside of the Inn. I'm assuming that they're there as a cellar entrance or something, but they do kind of jump out a tad, being near outside tiles. Depending on its purpose, you might consider building a very small "room" or something around it (using some of the castle tiles). Also, though it's still a WIP, I would think that a village wouldn't be completely barren in places when it comes to landscaping, so maybe add a Forest tile in a couple of places in the lower-left quarter of the map?

EDIT - Since this appears as though it will mainly be sprite-related, I'll move this into the subforum. If you plan on posting art (character designs, etc.) or some type of written work (plot outlines, script drafts, and so on), please let a staff member know, and we can move it back up to Creative for you.

Prologue: That's how I see it personally. And maybe I'll have this map for chapter one and another for the prologue. The question is what will this prologue map be about. I already have up to chapter 4 planned, but everything is subject to change I guess.

Wall: I can't seem to find the fitting wall segment to make it look natural...sad.gif

Cellar Room: Added! It does feel more complete than before, thank you.

Expect an updated version today. There will still be some adjustments to be done, mainly the wall height, the mountains and cliffs, and probably roads too.

Thank you all for your input, it's much appreciated! biggrin.gif

Here's version 2:

UHProloguemapscrn.jpg

Putting aside the weird looking mountains and wall, I'm not quite sure about the cliff arrangement and I'll probably change the grass under the left house.

EDIT: I also added 1 to the map height, to have some space to work that 2-tile wall

Edited by BlackSoulou

You are using the wrong grass tiles on the lower part of the map. They are used to line a wall. You need to use the grass tiles with out the shadow line on the top part.Also, remove the extra wall parts you have by the lake side. The mountain is riddled with errors as well.

Edited by Leif

You are using the wrong grass tiles on the lower part of the map. They are used to line a wall. You need to use the grass tiles with out the shadow line on the top part.Also, remove the extra wall parts you have by the lake side. The mountain is riddled with errors as well.

Thanks for pointing out the shading on grass tiles. As for the wall, I can't seem to find the right tiles to make a 2-tile high wall. If I can't find said tiles, I'm going to remove stairs altogether. I am also pretty aware of the current state of the mountain.

Edited by BlackSoulou

you're gonna need to account for the stairs that split the map into two levels and make the walls around those stairs two tall so the wall can still be above the ground of the village.

Hate to be blunt, but I'd make ever aspect of the map look as nice as you can by yourself before asking for help, people are gonna get tired of CnCing.

Edited by deranger

you're gonna need to account for the stairs that split the map into two levels and make the walls around those stairs two tall so the wall can still be above the ground of the village.

Hate to be blunt, but I'd make ever aspect of the map look as nice as you can by yourself before asking for help, people are gonna get tired of CnCing.

You are right. The next update will be the final one. I'll try to take everything said into account and deliver a satisfying product.

I'm not much of a mapper, but those two forest tiles near the path look odd. I can't say why, though.

Because they don't blend in sadly, I'm playing with this at the moment.

Alright, here goes the near-final version. No more 3+versions per map. The next ones will be close to this stage of completion before I post them. I do realize it could get tiresome in the long run.

UHProloguemapscrn-1.jpg

Comments: I can't seem to get the wall height right, due to a lack of blending tiles. It would be a shame to remove the stairs, they add personality to the map. Any ideas? Other than that, mountains are tricky to do...laugh.gif. I believe shading's okay for the most part. Yes, my main worry's still the wall.

Your input is much appreciated,

Black

Edited by BlackSoulou

And yet another one: Black Fang's throne room.

Comments: I think I've got the hang of Mappy now. Really like this one. I expanded from the lower right corner which was originally used in the meeting of the Four Fangs in canon FE7.

Note that this isn't an actual battle map. It's used in the opening scene (prologue)

EDIT: Third map coming your way! This is my attempt at a castle/indoor map. It's a fort on the Lycia-Bern border, with an unknown purpose so far.

[spoiler=Map]

BorderFort.jpg

Edited by BlackSoulou