SSS-rank playthrough, normal mode.

Chiki

Hi everyone. I'm new here and I decided to start off with a thread on a pretty difficult playthrough.

Rules:

- No RNG abuse / save states (hopefully I can obey this rule). This includes movement stars.

- Restarting a chapter for better level-ups is allowed if they really sucked.

I'll be editing this thread regularly with my current progress.

Turncounts:

Chapter 1 - 4 turns

Chapter 2 - 4 turns

No videos, unfortunately. I'm not really good at that kind of thing.

Chapter 1 -

Pretty easy chapter. I had Othin go east to kill the soldier for experience and get the Pugi. I charged with Eyvel (her Fire Sword has 30 uses left) and Fin + Leaf. I managed to get the Brave Axe with Halvan and the Life Ring with Fin. I wanted to capture a Javelin soldier but the RNG didn't want me to.. oh well. Fire Sword has 35 uses left, which is a huge improvement over 30 uses last time I beat the chapter.

Chapter 2 -

Another easy chapter. Marty, Fin carrying Leaf and Eyvel went north, while the rest went northeast to visit the villages and capture enemies for money. Eyvel + Fin beat the boss, and Fin got a level up. Oh, so did Othin.

Edited by Jushiro

You want the Life Ring; it'll help with managing fatigue for the healers since they have such low HP and A or * staffs add 5 fatigue per use. I managed to get 170 turns without bothering with the first Life Ring, but that was Elite Mode; this early in, I'd suggest getting it and holding on to it.

Leaf also can take the Life Ring for himself in order to tank Manster. Machua/Brighton/Felgus don't really tank well, mostly getting 3HKO'd by just about everything. But Leaf at level 5 usually has 25 HP and 4 Def. 32 HP for Manster is usually a blessing.

It depends on how hard you find Manster.

By the way, I am assuming that you (Jushiro) have beaten FE5 in the past and are pretty confident in your ability to get the SSS rank (enjoy chapters 18 and 24x).

I decided to take Othin's advice and redid chapters 1 and 2.

I don't know if I can get Leaf all the way to level 5 by chapter 4.. Right now he's only at level 1 with 43 exp. Seems really hard to level him up with Fin carrying him all the time.

By the way, I am assuming that you (Jushiro) have beaten FE5 in the past and are pretty confident in your ability to get the SSS rank (enjoy chapters 18 and 24x).

I beat FE5 twice, yes.

I'm not very confident actually. I don't usually go for low turn playthroughs (my only noteworthy one was FE9 HM in 124 turns). I'm just going to try my best and see if I can get an SSS rank. I doubt it though because I'm kind of impatient when it comes to the RNG.

Edited by Jushiro

Yeah, there's a lot of luck-based stuff to do, even on Elite Mode... If you're not going to be abusing for things like that and Move growths on Leaf, you'll run into some serious issues, especially on Normal Mode. If you don't want to do that and especially if you haven't thoroughly studied past SSS runs, it may be a better idea to go for Elite Mode first.

Edited by Othin

If you don't want to do that and especially if you haven't thoroughly studied past SSS runs, it may be a better idea to go for Elite Mode first.

Nah, Elite Mode is for pussies.

And I don't want to study past SSS runs. I want to find strategies by myself.

As long as you get Saphy to A staves by chapter 9 and get Asvel promoted by chapter 8x, the rest of the game is a cinch even without movement stars and movement growths.

But actually getting there requires a great deal of luck.

Is it okay if I promote Asvel at level 10?

It seems like Saphy starts at 190 wexp? 250 required for A, so that's 60 wexp I need to get.. doesn't actually seem very hard.

Edited by Jushiro

Is it okay if I promote Asvel at level 10?

It seems like Saphy starts at 190 wexp? 250 required for A, so that's 60 wexp I need to get.. doesn't actually seem very hard.

I very much encourage you to find your own strategies, but Normal Mode and limits on RNG abuse on top of that seem like they could lead to problems. But if you think you can take it, go for it.

Definitely promote at LV10 whenever you can. It'll be hard getting the Exp to get even that far on Normal Mode, so just do what you can. As for Saphy, she indeed starts at 190 WExp, but getting the extra 60 is a pain with the turn limits. I promoted her for the +50 WExp, but again, getting her to LV10 in a reasonable time will be difficult on Normal Mode, so hopefully you'll find something that works.

I'm going to say once more that for the purposes of an SSS run, there are only 2 differences between Elite Mode and Normal Mode:

1. You don't have to rig Repair staff misses for Saphy for her to reach A staves by chapter 10

2. You don't have to run the gauntlet in chapter 6 for Asvel to be promoted by chapter 8x

Any extra stats that you gain from extra level ups in Elite Mode are superfluous. Seriously. You'll do equally fine with or without them.

Suit yourself, but you're going to be using Warp in all the same places.

That's either 6 Repair staff misses, or 700 straight EXP gained through staff use.

Assuming you want to rig the Repair misses, you'll need one each in chapters 3, 7, 8, 8x, 10 (keeping in mind that Saphy needs to miss one of 8 or 8x due to fatigue) and then rig a double Repair miss in one of the maps (preferably in chapters 3 or 7 where units are not affected by fatigue). The remaining 10 WEXP can be obtained through using Heal and Physic in 8 and 8x. Alternatively, instead of the double Repair miss, 3 more uses of Physic would get you about the same amount of WEXP, so you need 4 Repair misses and then like 5 uses of Physic and 5 uses of Heal.

If you don't want to rig the Repair misses, then your only alternative is to get Saphy to level 10. If you were to match my turncounts exactly, Saphy has around 24 opportunities for non-Repair uses, only about 12 of which she'll have Physic available to use. She'll need to use Heal on basically every turn, use the Elite M at the earliest opportunity, and then use Physic on basically every turn after that in order to even have a chance at reaching level 10 by chapter 10.

Okay, managed 8 turns.

I only have 13 uses left with the Fire Sword though. Should I restart the chapter and try to get more crits and save uses?

And Leaf is STILL level 1. He has 92 exp though.

Edited by Jushiro

I thought of a cheap way to get Safy exp this chapter. Have her stand inside a bush and dodge enemy attacks repeatedly. Her avoid and def are so high in a bush that she doesn't really need RNG abuse to survive, but a Vulnerary might help.

Of course, I won't be able to use her staff much though, if at all, but it's not like I have Physic this chapter, so w/e.

Opinions? How much wexp does promoting give?

By the way, due to having exams, I won't be able to play much for a couple weeks.

Edited by Jushiro

I thought of a cheap way to get Safy exp this chapter. Have her stand inside a bush and dodge enemy attacks repeatedly. Her avoid and def are so high in a bush that she doesn't really need RNG abuse to survive, but a Vulnerary might help.

Of course, I won't be able to use her staff much though, if at all, but it's not like I have Physic this chapter, so w/e.

I'm guessing you'll only have archers attack her? Other enemies will just capture her outright instead.