• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ZemZem

• Breezy Kanzaki

• Ein

• Caster

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Shezzy, I just realized I haven't totally nerded to you about The Lost Road yet.

This was definitely a very interesting read. I feel like it was one of the more experimental writings on Middle-earth Tolkien has done.

In case you're not in the know, it's a "time-travel story" where a guy named Alboin and his son Audoin (names meaning "elf-friend" and "bliss-friend") go back in time in Alboin's dream to meet up with their predecessor "elf-friend bliss-friend" father sons, eventually going all the way back to Elendil and Amandil at the downfall of Númenor.

I like the idea; the story was supposed to feature two Lombardic kings, as well as the mysterious Ælfwine figure from Tolkien's other Middle-earth stories, but sadly all that he wrote was the Alboin-Audoin story up to the dream, part of the Elendil-Amandil story and some outlines on who the other "elf-friend bliss-friend" father sons would be.

Also, I just read another one of those "Tolkien was racist because the Haradrim are the only black people in his story and the Haradrim sided with Sauron, so they're evil."

How come every time that discussion goes on I see no one saying that the reason the Haradrim sided with Sauron was that their rulers were Sauron-allied white colonists from Númenor?