Creating Original Plots/Worlds

The_Purple_Knight

Again, things such as originality aren't exclusive of certain "Illuminated" beings. There isn't someone which is naturally original, and someone who simply isn't. It isn't something defined by birth or the like. The claim that someone either is original or not is like saying someone is either born able to perform surgeries or not; Or to paint or not. We all indeed are born with a disposition towards a certain field, some people are born with a talent for arts. Some people are born with technical tallent, which I do believe most among us FE hackers fit as. We all have different tallents, but that doesn't mean we are thus stuck with a single field for the rest of our lives. Originality is such a skill, it surely can be exercised, like any other human skill. It is more a matter of stance, and a capacity of using what you know to achieve what was never done.

Honestly, the guide is there to simply help to open up one's mind. There is no template for originality nor creativity, but it can be developed by the sum of effort and overall deep thinking. It comes from being able to think bases and limits, and rethink them. Understanding what is important and what really isn't. The guide claims to be a group of exercises and questions sorted out to help someone to think in a deeper fashion when it isn't a part of the current nature of someone. And based on what I read I think that those are a great starting point for the ones in look of aid for this. Also there are tools like mental maps and techniques like brainstormings can be applied to help creativity as well, so it isn't just a skill of "Elevated", "Unique", "Born to lead" human beings. Of an Elite.

The more one do it, the more one work for it, the more it will grow to said person. As Einstein said about work, “Work is 1% inspiration plus 99% transpiration”. Creativity also comes from that. Claiming originality isn't something which can be developed trough a set of exercises and diligence is honestly in my eyes a fallacy against human potential. And this guide is a starting point, the more one understands that questions allow the creation of better things, the more likely one can think like that.

And if the wording of the title is what really bothers you, don't mind it then. The wording of the title is but a classic "Dreamseller" tittle, which I agree, is what marketing created to sell self-help books. Books like "Be rich if you think rich" use titles to sell the dream for those looking for easy money, which is unfortunate. But that is one thing, this title's goal is not ripping off, but to generate impact in those that do want to do create a world of their own, are willing to read and work, and , and thus it is a valid effort. "A tutorial to help to open up one's mind and to structure ideas for Original Plots/Worlds" it would be less impactful(And a bit scary as well). And you will have to agree with me that this is a tool for the creation of Original Plots/Worlds.

I honestly feel this is just a conflict of personal opinions, but I have seen people in my childhood which I never believed were able to have that "Spark" of inspiration have it in an unexpected moment. And said inspiration being amazing, even life changing. There aren't people born creative and others limited, some people organize their heads in a way, the others in another. But anyone can learn how to organize ideas and become creative, anyone can develop their minds to become more creative if so they desire. And this guide is easily a starting point for it, based on what I have read so far. Only a starting point yes, but still one.

So quoting your original post...

Good luck

...to all people which want to develop their creativities, be it with the use of this guide or not. Read, research, live your lives and enjoy everything to the fullest, and you will see more and more "sparks" of inspiration appearing for you in your daily lives. :)

There is no template for originality. The people who come up with unique ideas will come up with them, and the ones who aren't original won't be able to, no matter how many templates and pre-written questions you throw at them. Originality is not something that can be taught or outlined. Checklists, templates, and questions can be helpful when hammering things out after you already have the ideas, but there's no such thing as a tutorial that can teach people how to create original plots and settings (which the title says is this tutorial's point).

Originality doesn't exist. You can't say someone's born with the talent of making original stories, chars or anything of the like, because it's just a matter of creativity and how he can interact with the things around him to make something new. Some people are born with an extraordinary creativity (Tolkien anyone?), while others lack it completely: These walls of text are written to help those people with less creativity, guiding them to understand and see the same thing that the more creative ones do.

I think this is part of the reason that so many hacks use a pre-existing setting (Elibe is really common.) It's a lot easier to develop on an existing world than create a compelling story oneself.

Some hacks using a pre-existing setting turn out to be good, while others just seem like an amateur fanboyish sequel/prequel made for other fanboys, and that's really annoying. :/