FE4 Gen 1

Espinosa

I started my second playthrough in the game and remembering just how much I screwed up the first time I played (due to giving people items they have no use for and then being unable to easily pass them over to units who would appreciate those items more). I even missed getting Holsety because the guide I was checking for item locations neglected to mention it.

I wanted to ask for a little support with choosing who should get which items. Sigurd got the Speed Ring so far (because he's always my boss killer of choice, when it's not Levn) but I'm not sure about the rest. The inheritance system is still confusing to me because I didn't make it very far when I first tried the game. I want to plan ahead and get 50+ kills with Sigurd's Silver Sword and Hero Axe, but I'm not sure if anybody will be inheriting those. If I want the kids to inherit the items, what are some of the best choices I could make in the first chapter of the game? Many thanks.

Sigurd Silver can stay on Sigurd. It'll go to Celice and make him awesome.

Hero Axe can't be inherited, but it is dropped in C6. You can take your pick of Johan or Johalva and then sell it to whomever you picked if he doesn't get that kill, or you can wait for Leaf to promote then sell it to him, though Leaf has swords anyway and doesn't care for axes.

I'd honestly go with Ayra's Hero Sword for the other 50 kill candidate over Hero Axe. There's like, a bajillion people with B swords or higher, and there 2 axe users in Gen2. And one has to be promoted. And Johan/Johalva aren't the greatest characters anyway. If you don't wanna use Ayra because she doesn't have a horse or something (Idk who you gave leg ring to), sell it off to somebody who has a horse, like Sigurd. Hero Sword with crit does even better than Silver Sword with crit and the more crit it racks up, the easier it is to get all your B and higher sword users through the arenas in Gen2. And that's fun.

The most optimal choice is to shove everything on to Sigurd ever and then Celice will have it right at the start. He can sell it to other people later. You might also want rings on characters who might need the money, since they can sell it for 10k or on certain rings, even 20k.

first off, i'd like to say that your avy and signature are amazing.

but you should tell us your intended pairings if you want a more detailed / precise list of inheriting items. gold is pretty hard to come by, if you don't save state & rng abuse the arena + dew is of weak constitution so it's good to have certain units make the kills on items that drop, since you'll want to be passing the elite ring around like candy to get your core army promoted in time. not to mention a unit that can't use that type of item can't buy it, so if Aira x Lex was a pairing, Lex can't buy swords so you'd want him to get the kill on Shagaal to pass down the Silver Blade. or let's say Brigid x Jamka where you'd want Patty to have a magic sword, get him the kill on Jacoban for the Thunder Sword since he can't buy swords otherwise, etc. etc.

hero weapons are your weapons of choice for units with minor holy blood that won't have access to a major holy weapon, so i definitely recommend prioritizing those for 50 kills (if it's really something you want to prioritize,) and silver weapons a close second. but give us your pairings and i'll give you a suitable inheritance list that breaks down all key items that should be passed down and who to put them on for max usage.

Edited by blllllack.mmmmmamba.ops

Generally, anything that a mother can use before promotion. her daughter can use the same. The only exceptions are Brigid and Ethlin, where it's their sons. Remember, a child will only inherit weapons that they can use. Sons are another matter, but often, they don't need anything for their first chapter.

The Silver Sword would serve you much better with 50 kills, since it should also be Celice's main weapon in the second generation. He'd also like as many rings as you can get, the Elite and Leg Rings being top priority. Power and Speed don't do too badly on him either.

As for the others, Tiltyu's son might want the magic ring, and if Jamka fathers someone, the skill ring doesn't hurt. However, it's pretty flexible, you can shuffle them around later.

• 2 weeks later...

The best advice I could give you would be to not overthink things. FE4 is not a particularly difficult game to beat, especially given its save function. Just use the pairings you like and make sure to squeeze every drop of experience out of the arena.

In your case, it might be helpful to check for new dialogues between characters after every seized castle. Your Holsety problem, for example, would've been spelled out for you in Ch.4 had you engaged a conversation between Levin and Sigurd after capturing Silesia.