Are these good characters to use in FE1?

luigi bros

I'm finally forcing myself to play FE1.

I have an idea of how it works, since I've played a little bit of it before.

I want to know if these are good characters.

Also is this too many?

And will I be struggling to get promotion items?

I'm already at Chapter 7, so I have a few units leveled considerably by now, but despite how bad the arena is in this game, I am willing to use it to catch up other characters.

1. Marth

2. Kain

3. Gordon

4. Sheeda

5. Oguma

6. Barts

7. Rena

8. Julian

9. Navarre

11. Merric

12. Linda

13. Katua

14. Paola

15. Chiki

I played through the game once to test my translation patch. Here's my opinion on them:

1. Marth - You're forced to use him anyway so better level him up. He can't promote but with a few buff items he turned out actually very good to me.

2. Kain - I used Abel as Kain kept on missing hits... So I suggest Abel instead

3. Gordon - I used Kashim because Gordon is not useful until he promotes. Gordon might turn out better, though, given he can promote.

4. Sheeda - Early obtained Pegasus Knights almost always turn out godly, Sheeda is no exception

5. Oguma - Very stable and reliable unit

6. Barts - Without a doubt the best axe user. He did have some accuracy problems, though.

7. Rena - I used her as my primary healer, you can easily level her up to 20 and then make her a priest to also deal some damage. And she can use hammerne...

8. Julian - I used him as a fighting unit and he turns out pretty good, not as solid as others, but pretty good for a thief anyway.

9. Navarre - I preferred Oguma as Navarre is a bit fragile

11. Merric - Best magic user. There's little to no resistance all game, so I'd always advice to use him.

12. Linda - Strongest magic user. Joins at a low level, though. If you can get her some enemies to kill, she turns out godly.

13. Katua - I used her. She is good but she failed to impress me like Sheeda did.

14. Paola - Never used her

15. Chiki - It actually took some speed rings, but she was the most reliable unit in the end thanks to her overwhelming defense.

It seems like a pretty solid team to me. I also used Hardin on my team, which I DON'T suggest to you. I was quite disappointed with him and I used Kashim, who I was content with. For the rest it's mostly the same. Oh, and Wendel: for a prepromo he turns out exceptionally well.

Edited by Quirino

Don't use 3 Pegasus Knights, the first Dragon Whip is in the same map that you get Chiki and I think there are only 2 overall. Also axe users suck in this game, and Barts is not worth fielding.

I thought they didn't gain experience for healing, only for dodging?

That's correct. However, if you put a cleric on a fort and let a thief constantly attack them, they will get tons of experience without dying (they get the amount of experience one would get if they would kill that unit and thieves gives lots of experience when they get killed). That way I got Rena to level 20 in the chapter I obtained her. Then all there's to do is wait until you get the Bishop Ring...

Don't use 3 Pegasus Knights, the first Dragon Whip is in the same map that you get Chiki and I think there are only 2 overall. Also axe users suck in this game, and Barts is not worth fielding.

You can buy them in the secret shop in chapter 23...

Edited by Quirino

You can buy them in the secret shop in chapter 23...

OK, I didn't know that, but that's two chapters before the end of the game! That's not very useful...