The five senses.

Raven

Everything we may take for granted - from walking to typing on a keyboard - will be infinitely harder to conduct without the sense of touch. Not knowing where each of your body parts are in relation to your eyeballs unless you're directly looking at them will be near impossible to live with.

The reason touch is most important is because of the problems shown by those who don't feel pain. For example you have a kid who sucks his thumb at night, he can't feel pain, in the morning he wakes up without a thumb (according to my psych teacher this really happens). Or they haven't learned the stove is hot ... you can all see where I'm going.

I think I heard that people who lack touch have the shortest life expectancy out of others who lack other senses. I think it is probably because they wouldn't notice or know something isn't right unless they have been taught so (cuts, broken bones, burns, etc.)

Can someone explain taste > smell? No smell = no taste O_o

Edited by HongLei

Can someone explain taste > smell? No smell = no taste O_o

I doubt most people are ranking this thinking about it in biological importance.

Again, people are probably not doing this in terms of "this one is more important for life" or "It make sense this one is over tis one because without we don't have the other". People are doing this in terms of favorites.

Okay ... still doesn't make sense to me. Your sense of smell is directly connected to the brain via the olfactory bulb, and is directly processed by the brain. Therefore it can help you recall memories better, when you smell a familiar scent.

People are doing this in terms of favorites.

So, Slayer...

How would you rank them in importance to you?

Importance = favorites?

"Lololol they said to /you/ bro."

Doesn't mean favorites. It means how important they are in terms for making it.

If you don't believe me, look at how Raven formed his argument for the post below my last one.

Eh i guess, although, i suppose it can still be argued that "importance to you" doesn't necessarily mean biological importance. It is one way of looking at it, but not the only way.

Edited by SlayerX

Eh i guess, although, i suppose it can still be argued that "importance to you" doesn't necessarily mean biological importance. It is one way of looking at it, but not the only way.

Name one other way, other than favoritism, that could be applied to the question he was asking.

Importance to survival, importance to aesthetic enjoyment, importance to self-fulfillment, importance to your date.

It depends on how we attempt to classify the senses in terms of how we'd find them best used, which in itself, is a situational compromise.

I think Slayer means more that people aren't putting drastic thought into all of their choices (in general), but choosing what they take for granted as being their "best" choices. It's not so much favorite as in, omg i fucking love taste, but it's omg I've tasted shit SO MUCH I know I want to continue tasting and rank it <whatever>

Importance to survival, importance to aesthetic enjoyment, importance to self-fulfillment, importance to your date.

It depends on how we attempt to classify the senses in terms of how we'd find them best used, which in itself, is a situational compromise.

I think Slayer means more that people aren't putting drastic thought into all of their choices (in general), but choosing what they take for granted as being their "best" choices. It's not so much favorite as in, omg i fucking love taste, but it's omg I've tasted shit SO MUCH I know I want to continue tasting and rank it <whatever>

Couldn't have said it better myself... In fact i probably couldn't have said something that made any sense... :unsure: