Game Engines

Inactive Account

A game engine is the program used to make a game. Some people were expressing interest, so I thought I'd post this.

Game Maker is a good one, available free (and can get more functions for something like $20). It's pretty easy to learn and I can offer help if you want. It's a fairly limited engine but with a little ingenuity you can do some pretty cool things.

Blender is a 3D animation program, also free. It is a serious program and it contains a game engine built-in. Looks intimidating, but I seem to be picking it up fairly fast. Excellent textbook available on Wikibooks. This appears to be a very powerful engine.

There's an awesome list of game engines on wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

Also, there's a site called Active State where you can download programming languages for free.

Cool. I guess the easiest thing to start with is like a mario-like game?? (Wants to move up to making real time rpg's with AI allies)

Mario-type sidescrollers are very easy to do with GameMaker. If you want a demo of one I've made, I'll try and give it to you.

The only (REALLY) stupid thing about GM is it saves as .exe files, so it only works on windows and you can't send the files sometimes.

I got that engine RPG maker 03. It's pretty cool, I just need to find out how to implement custom sprites. The default ones don't feel right in the least. You can download that and a lot of different engines on this site here. They have a lot of cool shit there. But before you download one, make sure it's freeware, not shareware. Shareware=dish out 60 bucks for it.

Edited by Kyrra

I know RPG maker 03 can but you need to be a lot more than a script kiddy to do it. A lot of these programs are experience and exploration. Right now, I'm looking at Blender and I'm like @_@...wut

I did. It's actually like a soft taco with medium-well taco meat,diced cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and awesome sauce poured all over it (It's got everything). Bad analogy but you get the point.

Not really... FE is as much of a strategy game as it is an rpg. RPG maker is based solely around rpgs. With a lot of scripting, probably. Otherwise, no. You can't make an FE stlye game. You can obviously make a Fire Emblem THEMED game. But not a Fire Emblem style game. But try around. There are more game makers than just rpg maker.

Edited by Kyrra

Not really... FE is as much of a strategy game as it is an rpg. RPG maker is based solely around rpgs. With a lot of scripting, probably. Otherwise, no. You can't make an FE stlye game. You can obviously make a Fire Emblem THEMED game. But not a Fire Emblem style game. But try around. There are more game makers than just rpg maker.

*looks for some*

-eats the Blender taco-

I don't know of anything capable of making a FE-esque game.

You might ask Makarov over on FEplanet, though- he made FETO.

was it made from scratch or did he just hack into an FE game?