Rate the Unit, Day 17: Dorothy

9/10

Easily one of the best characters in the game.

Alright, Dorothy. Having played more of FE6 (in an attempt to keep up with this Rate the Unit series), I'm just going to say that I underestimated Wolt and overestimated her a little. I mainly say that because, while she has better growths, Wolt ends up being similar statistically to her (although ever so slightly inferior) at 20/5, mainly due to her poor bases and slightly higher joining level. At 20/5 (or the equivalent), which is usually a resonable end-game HM level, she ends up having a 2 SPD and 2 STR lead, while he has small HP and DEF leads. Her STR/SPD leads before 20/5 are even less.

However, Wolt has a considerable advantage that Dorothy (or hell, even Sue or the incredible Shin, if you want to get technical) don't have: The potential to get C bows by C8x even in the fastest runs. Now why the hell is that an advantage? Killer bow. Yes, that bow that probably can be argued to be the best non-Legendary bow in the game (at worst roughly tied with silver), the bow with the Hit of an iron bow, MT of a steel bow, WT that manages to exactly tie Wolt's/Dorothy's CON unpromoted, and 30% crit to boot. You get the first one in the middle to later part of C8, and the potential to get a second in C9 (which unlocks my preferred route to boot). Wolt becomes notably better with that bow than an iron or a steel, since he can now double slower enemies and has a good chance to crit anything he attacks. If that happens, Wolt is leveled easier than Dorothy and contributes more in the chapters you're leveling him than Dorothy can.

However, Dorothy is not without merit. Many characters are nullified by the fact you have a hard time training them, or they come at the wrong part of the game. Not Dorothy; she's free deployment in C6, which has soldiers she can double and frail mages you can set up for her to kill. In C7, she probably earns a deployment slot because of those damned wyvern riders. She's not bad in C8/C8x, either, although nothing spectacular.

So, all in all, I'll give her a 4.5/10, and I'd give Wolt a 5/10 if I had another shot at it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Her base stats suck. Gets weighed down with nearly every bow in the game. Joining at the point where you near the hardest chapter in the game. Only things good about her is that she doesn't take you to the road of Sacae, easy to off dracoknights at Chapter 7, and being better than Wolt statwise.

So

2/10

She only should be used if your going to the Ilia route.

Edited by リンダ

Gets weighed down with nearly every bow in the game.

Just want to point out that this particular statement is false.

Weighed down by: Steel (-2 AS/-1 AS), Long (-3 AS/-2 AS), Brave (-5 AS/-4 AS), and Murgleis (-1 AS).

Not weighed down by: Iron, Silver, Killer, Short, and technically Poison.

She's weighed down by half the bows in the game (or slightly less if poison is included), but steel/long only cost her a couple AS, brave guarantees a double and should be used for enemies she wouldn't double anyways or for casters she doesn't want to eat a counter from, and Murgleis costs 1 AS in weight but gives 5 SPD for a net gain of 4 AS.

Also, while I'm in picky asshole mode, Dorothy has the SAME CON as Wolt.

Dorothy is weighed down by her horrible base stats.

A much more accurate statement. :B):

Is this the proper context for a "I see what you did there?" I'm not hip to the lingo of you FE youngsters, what with your horses and chicken-horses and non-bow thingies. I'm tired. I'm going to go play bridge with FE6!Marcus. My back aches.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

Guys guys

She's pretty shitty if you're only considering efficiency and will never be used outside of C6 and /maybe/ C7

She's salvagable if you play casual or ranked since casual is casual and ranked has 600 turns buffer anyway so you can p. much go at the speed of casual

It's pretty easy to see why people gave some scores, no need to argue about it

And also the only good bow unit in the game for the Ilia route that costs 10000G to promote.

Edited by リンダ

Guys guys...

...It's pretty easy to see why people gave some scores, no need to argue about it

I'm just being flippant. XD

I know why some gave her 2s and others 5s.

Why does intelligent systems do this? Give an archer decent growhts but terrible bases. It just doesnt work. Specially if all they do is chip...they should have innate paragon or something. Rant over. Dorothy is pretty smelly due to poor bases and PP lock. 2/10

I'm just being flippant. XD

I know why some gave her 2s and others 5s.

LOLU

And really, all the ratings are <=5 (before bias factor) so not that big of an issue anyway

I think her problems are addressed adequately by most, just some chose to put weight on it than others.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

LOLU

And really, all the ratings are <=5 (before bias factor) so not that big of an issue anyway

I think her problems are addressed adequately by most, just some chose to put weight on it than others.

On a serious note, actually playing LTC FE6 HM, I'm surprised how much better I find Wolt than Dorothy (since I thought it'd be the other way around), simply because I can get him to level 6-8 by C7; I'd imagine the difference would be more stark if I didn't kill half the early-game enemies with Marcus. Killer bow and getting a blessed Wolt (the gods smile on my Wil fandom, I suppose) just makes things lolworthy, and Wolt lays full claim to that for a decent portion of the game (since even Shin starts with D bows) -- and the left village path gives me a second one just two chapters after I get the first.

Just curious, does the Bartre route even offer anything over the Echidna route (besides Bartre, ofc)? It seems it offers a worse Gonzales, Klein, Tate...

Just curious, does the Bartre route even offer anything over the Echidna route (besides Bartre, ofc)? It seems it offers a worse Gonzales, Klein, Tate...

Off the top of my head, the answer to that is.... No.

On a serious note, actually playing LTC FE6 HM, I'm surprised how much better I find Wolt than Dorothy (since I thought it'd be the other way around), simply because I can get him to level 6-8 by C7; I'd imagine the difference would be more stark if I didn't kill half the early-game enemies with Marcus. Killer bow and getting a blessed Wolt (the gods smile on my Wil fandom, I suppose) just makes things lolworthy, and Wolt lays full claim to that for a decent portion of the game (since even Shin starts with D bows) -- and the left village path gives me a second one just two chapters after I get the first.

I actually prefer Tate in Bartre Route since she has more time to level. The loss of a level of pegasus knight doesn't bother me much, since in her extra chapter she can gain a level with her own growths (which are better) and work towards promotion and better lance rank in the meantime. I actually got her three levels in Ch. 11.

Also, Sue can probably reach C Bows pretty quickly. Probably better to ask Narga about her, he's always going on about how amazing she is.

Edited by Anouleth

Also, Sue can probably reach C Bows pretty quickly. Probably better to ask Narga about her, he's always going on about how amazing she is.

Not sure. It took me from C1 to close to the end of C8 to go from D bows to C rank on Wolt, and I was making sure to use him for chip often to make sure his shitty bases didn't get the worst of him. I'd imagine on efficiency or LTC, it'd reasonably take until C10 or C11 at least for Sue to reach C bows. Don't get me wrong, Sue's a nice bow user, she simply comes later than Wolt does -- at the earliest, turn 3 of C6 (with no bow equipped and no enemies nearby for a turn or two if Marcus rushed middle) as opposed to turn 1 of C1.

Archer with the normal bad bases. She has good growths but takes a long time to grow out her slump considering player phase only. She is good for killing fliers but there are not that many fliers your supposed to kill until after isles, and by that time you have a two mounted archers, a sniper, and another sniper on the way. Over all her bases make her meh.

3/10 she's not really contributing much but you could do worse.

Dorothy is better than Wolt, but not by a whole lot. Like him, she is proof that archers need better fucking bases. Like seriously? 5 str? 6 spd? And this is FE6, wich is a lot less forgivable to shitty archers than FE7. I don't know why IS designed archers the way they did, since I would design them with good offensive bases like I did with Neimi in my patch. In any case, as it is right now, Dorothy makes Wil and Rebecca look like Raven in comparison. Oh yeah, she's ugly as sin. And that does not help you get any good scores from me. Like ever.

Oh yes, she's good at killing fliers, but I'd rather have Sue do that sort of thing, as she can actually reach stuff. Or better yet, Shin.

3(-1 for bias, which makes it sit at 2)

Edited by Mercenary James