FE6 Desert Challenge (One-Chapter Draft Experiment)

TheToad

I figured this is worth a try. Basically, the OP would provide a savestate for a challenge he/she devised, and people would compete to get the lowest turncount possible within the restrictions of that 1 chapter challenge.

So my challenge is as follows: Lowturn C14 (the notorious desert chapter) of FE6 using only mages, archers and thieves. This isn't meant to be hard or anything per se, but I still think it's interesting to beat this chapter without fliers or units whose movement have been impeded by desert conditions, and could make for a decent trial run of this concept.

I have all the units at lv 20/0 averages, except for Lugh and Dorothy, who are 20/1. Everyone is also equipped with items they could legitimately have by this point in the game.

Restrictions:

-No vulneraries/elixirs/other healing items

-Only use the items I've provided the characters, which should be more than enough

-Acquire all desert items (there's now a way to do this with 100% reliability)

-No character deaths

-No stat boosters

-RNG abuse to your heart's content

Here is everything you'll need, except the FE6 rom of course.

Visual Boy Advance Emulator

Savestate

Battery (if savestate doesn't work)

I'm going to go ahead and try this

EDIT: I got 10 turns, and I did a lot of weird rescue-dropping with Lalum and Roy. Lalum overall didn't really do anything for me, and it was all Lugh and Ray's show with Dorothy getting a boss kill (but that boss kill was on Turn 9 anyway; I seized on Turn 10). Lugh was my MVP, and Dorothy wasn't that useful as a whole. Ray is a really good Nosferatu tank.

I took it at a slower pace because Ray got the Warp staff on Turn 9..

Edited by Mercenary Raven

After a quick test run, I think the challenge needs some tweaking. Particularly, the units need to be nerfed a little, maybe lv 15 or lower, and perhaps allow a base level Thany to ferry people. Give me your suggestions and I can hack them in to make this more interesting.

Edit: Also, having thieves and archers seems a bit pointless considering 2-3 move is still very restrictive.

Edited by TheToad

well the thing about them is that you can have them go off and get items in the western side in time for roy to seize... and dorothy can off a wyvern or two. just from my experience..

EDIT: i also managed to have dorothy and astohl ferry roy a decent amount (though like i told you on irc, it was more of an assembly line)

QCoO0.pngtTJ6p.png

Lilina went north and got the Silver Card, picking up the talisman along the way, Astohl went to grab the speedwings, Lugh and Ray went south and grabbed the silence staff, silver blade, and most importantly, Lugh grabbed the warp staff on turn 3, and sent it back to merlinus, allowing Dorothy carrying Roy to be warped over, and run towards the boss on the same turn. Roy had to survive some mild combat, and could be physic'd by Ellen if nescessary. He revealed Randy, and Dorothy killed him with the killer bow. Sophia was warped across on turn 5 to grab her ring, and Roy seized. The boots were grabbed on turn 1 by Cecilia.

I'll do a video if there's enough interest.

Edited by General Horace

I'm pretty sure that Horace's strat can shave off a turn if he uses the rescue re-action exploit. My hunch is that you can warp Cecilia (rescuing Roy) over the cliff after she's used a Torch (or Torch staff) and have her suicide on the Steel Sword hero, which will drop Roy, who can then walk up next to Randy. Do an EP kill and seize on the next turn.

The problem is that Cecilia isn't quite flimsy enough to cleanly suicide on the Steel Sword hero (she survives with 2 HP) and getting her that extra 2 HP damage is quite hard. If you can somehow get her to attack that Thunder mage just to the north of the starting position on turn 2 PP and have her attacked again on EP, that should be enough - he does 1 HP damage per attack, and does not double Cecilia even when she's rescuing someone. The hero doesn't have a crit rate on her either because her luk is too high.

EDIT: Ah, wait, I'm too used to having super Roy. In that case, Roy needs to have used a Torch as well and get PP + EP Killing Edge crits on Randy to KO him.

Edited by dondon151

My hunch is that you can warp Cecilia (rescuing Roy) over the cliff after she's used a Torch (or Torch staff) and have her suicide on the Steel Sword hero
-No character deaths

lol

EDIT: debroglie eyeballs, right

that's a lame restriction

also i obviously haven't downloaded the savestate so i don't know what items each character has but i don't see why this couldn't be a legitimate approach to the challenge

Edited by dondon151

Is there any deviation in the Hero's str?

Also, Roy gets doubled by the boss- his 20/0 average is 15 or 16 (i forget which). He gets cleanly 2RKO'd at that, and can't reliably kill the boss himself.

I can't tell about the hero's str because I always load from a chapter save. The other hero on the map (also L3) also has 13 str.

Randy only has 16 spd, so he can't double Roy. And who cares if Roy's KO is unreliable; manipulating 2 Killing Edge crits is easy street.