Portrait Problem

Lungs

So hello everyone!

After several painstaking hours wondering why this thing just wouldn't upload, and finally downloading gimp and forcing it down to 16 colors (god almighty D: ), I finally got it to...

ExtCW.png

I honestly have no clue how this happened. Is there a way I can fix it? O.O

By the way, Ned Stark here was sprited by the 100%-more-awesome-than-me Florina!

Basically, you can only drag things around at multiples of 8 pixels, because the game engine will only place the replacement eye/mouth sprites at those positions. You drag them to tell FEditor to write a little bit of data into the ROM that tells the game engine which multiple of 8 to use.

It's a pretty dumb limitation honestly because the GBA doesn't cause it (the sprite size has to be a multiple of 8, but the position can be whatever - this is a sprite, not tiles) and it doesn't actually save any space in the ROM. But that's how it is. When you cut out eye sprites from the alternate images, you need to cut out a piece that's aligned to an 8-pixel border, as shown in the video.

I've been thinking of doing it so that you provide a sheet of the alternate images, and it automatically detects where to cut out eye and mouth sprites and puts together the whole spritesheet from that.

Basically, you can only drag things around at multiples of 8 pixels, because the game engine will only place the replacement eye/mouth sprites at those positions. You drag them to tell FEditor to write a little bit of data into the ROM that tells the game engine which multiple of 8 to use.

It's a pretty dumb limitation honestly because the GBA doesn't cause it (the sprite size has to be a multiple of 8, but the position can be whatever - this is a sprite, not tiles) and it doesn't actually save any space in the ROM. But that's how it is. When you cut out eye sprites from the alternate images, you need to cut out a piece that's aligned to an 8-pixel border, as shown in the video.

I've been thinking of doing it so that you provide a sheet of the alternate images, and it automatically detects where to cut out eye and mouth sprites and puts together the whole spritesheet from that.

So let's say I'm doing the eyes. I need to cut out a 32x16 piece that is a horizontal distance of a multiple of 8 from one of the sides, correct? It also needs to have a vertical distance of a multiple of 8 too, correct? Even though I've read all of the tutorials and watched that video, no one has talked about that. It's just assumed that you would know that, or it was just carelessly left out. Needless to say, it has always been a problem unless I was able to have the 32x16 piece flush along the edge. In the case of they eyes, its impossible to have it along the edge, which is why I gave up on the blinking frames.

Even though I've read all of the tutorials and watched that video, no one has talked about that.

That's what the 8x8 grid overlay in Photoshop Usenti is for during the video. FFS. Otherwise you could just as easily do the same cutting and pasting in Paint.

Edited by zahlman