Inserting Tilesets

Dr.Sholes

This tutorial shows how to insert a tileset from one FE game to another, specifically for this I'll be putting the FE6 Western Isles tileset over the Sacaen Plains tileset in FE7. Now, this probably would have been better before but I pressed something and all of it got wiped so I'm just going to start over. *Cries*

You'll need;

GBAGE

Nightmare

HxD

You'll want to open both Roms in GBAGE and go to the proper offsets and palettes. For this I'll be using 20F0F0 for the offset and 23C340 for the palette in Fe6 and 34C74C and 362E78 in Fe7. It should look something like this;

1.png

Why yes that text is part of what got deleted...

Now open HxD and go to the end of the FE7 Rom, you'll want to open both Roms BTW. Since mine is clean it's 1000000, make a note of the offset. Then you'll want to save the Western Isles tileset as a bitmap and load it into FE7. Put the free space in for where it should go and be sure to tell it to repoint it, as for the palette that'll need to go into the free space after it, you should un-check all of that stuff first to see where the tileset's data ends and the re-insert it all pointing the palette at the free space. For this I know that mine ends at 10054CC so I'll put that in.

It should look something like this;

2.png

Once it's all inserted if you check your ROM it'll look like this;

wtf.png

"But Doctor, why it no worky thingy?" Hahaha! That's because you didn't insert the config, you fool!! :P:

The config can be found by looking in the Event Reference Table module and then looking at the next few to see where it ends, sometimes it can be tedious to find the end but if you copy a little too much it shouldn't make any difference, you just don't want to not get all of it, then it would get all messed up. So this particular one starts at 2341EC and ends at 2352BC, you want to go into HxD and copy that.

Like this;

3.png

Then go into the Event Reference Table in Nightmare for FE7, you'll notice that the Sacaen PLains and it's palette begin with nines and the rest have eights, that's because you repoointed them so if it doesn't look like that you did something wrong. :/: The free space I put the config at was 10056D0 so you add 0x8 to the beginning of that, it then becomes 0x90056D0 and you put that into Nightmare over the Sacaen Plains' config offset. Then you're done it'll still look messed up but once you put in a custom map it'll work.

Like this;

Finished.png

"Doctor! Doctor! It don't work!"

You might have;

-Put in an offset wrong

-Had GBAGE and Nightmare open at the same time

-Left the water animations on XP This took me forever to realize that's why it got messed up. Haha!

-Done something wrong?

So, I think that's it, if there's anything wrong or missing just point it out and I'll update. :):

Enjoy.

just make a new entry in event references with the pointer to the shit

then hack chapter data editor

and pick those entries' values for your object sets and shit

Edit: And TU is easy to understand, everything's fucking OVERexplained.

Blazer and his text walls

Edit2: there's actually a western isles tileset that is a lava tileset edit, so if you wanted you could just copy the palette to FE7, etc, so not necessarily the entire object set, graphics, etc need to be imported. I'm pretty sure FE8's sets use the same tile arrangments as FE7, too, if you wanted palettes from either game imported, you wouldn't need to C/P everything, just palette.

Edited by Jubby

What about inserting a tileset on it's own, not overriding an older one? Same steps but at a new offset?

I'm not sure how GBAGE would handle that but probably, I'll try it once I get a chance.

just make a new entry in event references with the pointer to the shit

then hack chapter data editor

and pick those entries' values for your object sets and shit

Edit: And TU is easy to understand, everything's fucking OVERexplained.

Blazer and his text walls

Well, if it didn't make sense to me then it obviously isn't going to make sense to someone else, so this would be a help to that person. I'm not saying the UT is bad, I'm just saying this was an area it was lacking in.

You do realize there are three Western Isles tilesets, right?

Edited by Dr.Sholes

@sholes

I'm saying there IS ONE YOU CAN IMPORT by that method

It's an example

Dude you're not gonna beat me in an argument about hacking

Also trust me, you can import it. Just don't click repoint graphics pointer and import it to somewhere else.

cause you're giving misleading information and it'll start to confuse people

+the method is way more efficient than yours, since you'd be wasting like, 3 extra entries in event references.

Edited by Jubby

Ah, well, if you have any specific criticism about the UT, it'd be nice to hear it so I can improve it one day, but in general I haven't heard any complaints about it. XP

at the very least there's no problem in another tutorial, even if the method's a little shaky. *shrug* Jubby I'd just give it a break, nothing good is going to come out of arguing, I don't think. Your choice though. :P

EDIT: by "it" I meant the tileset chapter

Edited by Strawhat Luffy

you know whats way easier?

if you just need a palette - copy the hex string

if you just need graphics - use GBAGE and check "repoint graphics pointers"

if you need a whole new tileset - THEN you follow this clusterfuck

except that you're still limited to using the few tile configurations that exist in fe6/7/8

i can think of maybe three scenarios when i'd actually need a full import

Edited by Camtech

except that you're still limited to using the few tile configurations that exist in fe6/7/8

i can think of maybe three scenarios when i'd actually need a full import

The only way I can think of with that happening is if the text for the tile doesn't exist, which could easily happen. There's probably a way to fix that however I don't know of it.

I needed this for FE6.5 once I figured it out I figured I'd share how.

Umm... Ok, I never implied that, that wasn't what he meant...

This tutorial would be for the importing of said three tilesets, I'm not sure why I would even have to explain that...

a) i'm saying i can think of (in terms of a story scenario) maybe three times when you'd need to use a tileset from fe6 that doesn't have an equivalent or better in fe7

b) the western isles tileset is honestly like the only tileset i find worth importing

c) in about three days i'm going to figure out how the game loads tilesets and we'll be able to code them from scratch

a) i'm saying i can think of (in terms of a story scenario) maybe three times when you'd need to use a tileset from fe6 that doesn't have an equivalent or better in fe7

b) the western isles tileset is honestly like the only tileset i find worth importing

c) in about three days i'm going to figure out how the game loads tilesets and we'll be able to code them from scratch

A) This is true, it works with FE8 tilesets too >___<

B) The Illia one isn't bad IMO also the FE8 equivalent of FE7's Bern tileset has more tiles than it so I think that's worth importing just for the sake of having more to work with.

C) That's pretty cool, good luck.