Best Game Company

MagusOfMirrors

Objectively? Sony is the easy answer, assuming we are accounting for all of a company's owned studios (Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, Polyphony, etc. Sony has by far the most A-list first party franchises). It's nearly impossible to compete with their first party titles if we are including all of the Sony studios, even Nintendo would need a very strong argument to compete.

How objectively? There isn't even an objective measure of what a A-list title is.

I mean, I personally would agree that Sony's PSX and later PS2 consoles had a very strong lineup of first-party titles, but in the world of today that advantage has gone largely the way of the dinosaur in favor of multiplatform games. The earlier tag for Sony's very console this generation was "Playstation 3 has no games." And while what you're saying is true, that the largest companies that have the most first-party titles might be difficult to fairly include, I think the TC was looking for an average amount of quality, rather than an aggregate amount.

Everyone that is hating on FF X-2 in this thread is raging against a semilame storyline and hating on the greatest gameplay a Final Fantasy game has ever had. Stop hating on X-2, that stopped being cool like 5 years ago.

I disagree. I mean I thought the gameplay was really tight, but I don't think it was the best system that Square's ever put together. For that matter, complaints about the storyline are pretty valid; the primary draw for most are the beautiful lush worlds that Square was known for drawing people into. While I had fun playing Final Fantasy VIII and customizing cool GFs, I also had a huge amount of fun becoming invested in the characters, visiting the locales, and just listening to the orgasmic music.

Besides, the gameplay within XII and Versus take the cake when it comes to gameplay.

Versus XIII isn't even out yet, all we've seen have been (what I hope are) old videos of its gameplay. I'm liking the direction they're going with the Kingdom Hearts-style action gameplay, but I fear it will fall into its spiritual predecessor's problems, of just mashing on X repeatedly. I'm also hoping they mess with the graphics a bit, as the environments look very dull outside of CG from the bits shown so far. I like the concept of a modern Final Fantasy, much like FFVIII, but I'm hoping they don't skimp on this one since it's been, what, six years? Seven years?

Square-

FF6 was fun, but Summon Night was even more so.

Then I'm pretty sure you should be listing Banpresto...I don't think Square has anything to do with the Summon Night Series???

While I had fun playing Final Fantasy VIII and customizing cool GFs, I also had a huge amount of fun becoming invested in the characters, visiting the locales, and just listening to the orgasmic music.

I love FFVIII a lot, but I wouldn't number its main cast as really interesting. They can be very hilarious and charming though. And the cities and environments in VIII are probably my favorite in the series, especially Balamb Garden and FH.

Edited by Jet Black Gunner

In being hilarious and charming they aren't interesting?

Though, either way, to each his own I suppose.

Edit: I will say that even as a little kid of ten, the twist that drew the characters together was groan-inducing, though.

Edited by Esau of Isaac

In being hilarious and charming they aren't interesting?

Well, I guess I take it back...especially when I start thinking back to certain parts of the game. Like when Selphie is stuck inside the base when it's about to blow up, and she starts wondering if Squall sacrificed her and the other two party members. I particularly liked the scene right after Seifer's execution is announced (I DON'T WANT TO BE REFERRED TO IN THE PAST TENSE is totally absurd but I actually thought the scene was pretty good all the same). And I also did love finding out what happened with Laguna, Kiros and Ward, charm aside (if it's even possible to imagine a charmless Laguna).

Edit: I will say that even as a little kid of ten, the twist that drew the characters together was groan-inducing, though.

Ya...this was pretty much my biggest issue with the game. I particularly didn't like that Irvine knew the whole time, but didn't make anything of it.

Well, I guess I take it back...especially when I start thinking back to certain parts of the game. Like when Selphie is stuck inside the base when it's about to blow up, and she starts wondering if Squall sacrificed her and the other two party members. I particularly liked the scene right after Seifer's execution is announced (I DON'T WANT TO BE REFERRED TO IN THE PAST TENSE is totally absurd but I actually thought the scene was pretty good all the same). And I also did love finding out what happened with Laguna, Kiros and Ward, charm aside (if it's even possible to imagine a charmless Laguna).

You know, I also actually thought a lot of Laguna's characterization, while in many areas played out, was pretty incredible. I found his constant tragedy in romance to be extremely touching, first with Julia and then with Raine.

I will say though that I oftentimes found myself hating another Laguna segment for a couple reasons. First, it almost always meant re-arranging all my GFs and magic because I didn't use those characters (I think Zell and Selphie right?). Second, and more importantly, I seem to remember the segments coming around right when stuff would usually be getting good. Then when it starts getting good in the flashbacks, you'd be forced back into the present for the same effect again. :P:

Ya...this was pretty much my biggest issue with the game. I particularly didn't like that Irvine knew the whole time, but didn't make anything of it.

I honestly have no idea why they included it in the game. It certainly feels like it could have functioned well without its inclusion, and I constantly forget it. Then when I later remember it all I can think of is "what were they thinking?"

VII, VIII, and IX will always have a special place in my heart. It's hard to say which of the three is my favorite.

I will say though that I oftentimes found myself hating another Laguna segment for a couple reasons. First, it almost always meant re-arranging all my GFs and magic because I didn't use those characters (I think Zell and Selphie right?).

There actually is a command in the menu that allows a full gf/magic/ability/etc transfer between two characters that is really handy for the Laguna sections, and when you have to switch parties. However, I don't think any of the games tutorials actually cover it, and you probably end up skipping the tutorials anyway so hey.

The characters who are used for the laguna sections actually switch around sometimes, though I think Squall is always Laguna.