Pete's Pixel Love Shack

Alastemeister

petercrossarms.gifHello!

I used to have a Topic for these, but I have misplaced it. It was also years old, full of garbage, and was unattended.

Thus, I've decided to make a new one! Now with 56% less neglect! And free cookies!

Oh, and beware of a heavy image load!

Anyways, sprites:

[spoiler=FE-Related]

markyjoe.png

Here is a sprite I did for Markyjoe1990, just as a small present. I noticed his outdated sprite used in various Ragefests, and decided to make him a new one. Whether he uses it or not is up to him, and was good for practice. It is my first full-custom.

josef-3.png

This is the mug I'm submitting for Klokinator's little Forums-wide FEXP game. A personal mug, I'm also planning to make'm into an actual character eventually. My second full-custom, with some silly collared jacket I whipped up. Look at dem buttons!

(thanks to AstraLunaSol and Seph1212 for some help with this one!)

More to come!

I will probably toss in some other stuff I've done too.

[spoiler=Pogeymins]

pkmntrainerpeter.png

Personal trainer sprites. I stole the hand on the eyecatch (big sprite) from the male protagonist in HG/SS, because jesus h christ hands

pkmntrainerkatie.png

Sprites I did for my sister.

pkmntrainertom.png

Sprites I did for my buddy. grah hands and button shirts

championbrandon.png

My friend FaytSaratome's personal sprites. He likes that Premier Ball.

e4brian.png

My most recent trainer battle sprite of another friend. I started to get tired of the style here, so I suppose it's still WIP. The man pictured assisted me with the overworld sprite.

More to come!

Edited by Sir Peter

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your pokemon stuff is okay, but your FE hair is so CHUNKS.

Show some detail in that shit man.

You're Leonalaste, right? I swear you've come to my streams before.

okay checked your profile, yes you are. You should listen to Astra down there; he knows his shit more than even I do.

Edited by seph1212

Some tips with FE hair:

It uses a lot of the 2nd shade to add depth, right now all you're doing it outlining the general shape of the hair.

You're gonna need to just practice to get the hold of using the 2nd shade properly.

Also you seem to have a problem with shoulder angles, in both Marc's portrait and your own. The thing with FE mugs is that they almost never look directly at the player. (Unless it's like Lyn where they actually are looking at you.) You have the far shoulder on both mugs show too much. Resulting in the chests of both the mugs look really tiny. If you move the line that indicates the chest/arm separation further to the left, it would probably balance it out and look much better.

Pokemon sprites look cool, now you just need to work on getting FE style proper~

Keep it up.

josef-1.png

I've messed around with details brought up by you guys, thanks for the input!

-I made the silly buttons less... silly. And less square.

-As you suggested ALS, I moved the left armpit a bit. Bluh, that whole side is a mess, I might have to redo the armpit and such.

-I also tried using the second shade more heavily, along with shading the left bang.

-As... ~afk~ or whomever suggested, I lightened up the closed eyes. I think they still look a little funky. I'll mes around and see.

-THESE CHUNKS, MAN. I'll try making things look... well, hairier. This would involve using the second shade, I presume?

ohai trent

Yeah, your streams are funtimes.

Alright, so, adding 2nd shade at the bottom of your bangs may help make it seem like it has more depth, but the problem is that it looks like a block now.

http://gyazo.com/6fc...a267e1b541230cd

kinda like so. You want to add more 2nd shade where you think the hair will cast shadows on other hair, and 3rd shade for the darkest parts. (As a strategy, I usually block the entire hair the 2nd shade, then outline where the darkest areas will be with the 3rd, then highlight where the light will hit with the 1st shade, just remember that most of the time with non complicated hair, the 1st shade should still be the most dominant) This is probably the most difficult part about totally customing hair, knowing where the shadows and light parts are.

He also needs the first shade shown on the far side of his face so he looks like his cheek is showing up, the only time you don't have that is if the nose is out a lot. (Which would make the head at a side view)

Also you need to learn to anti-alias where hair touches/goes over parts of your face. Also please try to not use so much outline colour with your eyes. You really only need them to connect to the top of your eye and the pupil. Then you can color around it so you can get a good color for your iris. it looks kinda like he's wearing eyeliner Getting a good eye shape/knowing when you have a good eye takes practice, so don't feel too bad if you can't get the hang of it quite yet.

Now, onto clothes, try not to put outline right next to skin, it looks really jarring unless you have a really dark fabric. (And even then it looks kinda bad, you have to use the darker skin tones to blend it so it doesn't look terrible)

The fix you did is better, but you need to move it even more, you shouldn't be seeing much of the far arm in a 3/4 view, and the way the creases are going disrupts the flow and looks bad.

http://gyazo.com/5e8...05b16ad8b005e76

You have to make the far armpit kinda look like that, so it looks like you actually have a chest instead of looking like you're scrunching your shoulders over.

Try looking at fe mugs to see how their faces and shading works (go for fe7 hair, fe8 hair is kinda terrible, same with faces)

/terrible at organizing cnc

sorry for pointing out so many flaws

Edited by AstraLunaSol

josef-3.png

I changed up the outfit a bit. It felt kinda stupid to have a big shadeless blobcollar.

...and I just noticed a mistake with the button-thing. feh. too lazy to repost to photobucket again. (did it anyway)

Would it be alright to post photos of drawings here too? Or would I need to make a topic over in the Creative thread? They're mostly just conceptual things, like plans for sprites or characters.

Edited by Sir Peter

Hokay! Time to post some drawings, and hopefully not get chastised for it. (i swear i'll do sprites more often)

Oh, and Photobucket was being a fucking arsebiscuit pain, and rotating some of my images. What the hell, PB? Apologies in advance.

[spoiler=Concept Doodlesketch]

Concept for Leon Alaste, my avatar character thing guy man. I realise the head is a bit... long. He's also supposed to look maturer, so I guess I dun goof'd.

fe_leon.jpg

(seriously now what the fuck i rotated it in paint and everything)

And have a few more Pokemon things:

[spoiler=original characters do not steal]

hey look ken sugimori-like characters

What I'd think two protagonists with beanies would look like. I really like how the badge-things on the hats came out.

protag_m.jpgprotag_f.jpg

I'll throw in some bonuses, too.

[spoiler=cookies for all]

AN EYE OH MAN

eye.jpg

A NOSE AND TINY LIPS OH MAN (man that nose bridge is straight)

nose_mouth.jpg

EYES: NOW WITH MORE ANIME also a gengar mouth and some other stuff

eyes.jpg

And lastly, some face, I guess? I'm not sure. (goddamnit PB)

face_concept.jpg

Next time on Dragon Ball Z: I actually post sprites, hopefully!

Close eye should be moved up one pixel, eyes are rarely on the same level.

Also you should try experimenting with different noses, because your personal mug and this one have flat noses.

Edited by AstraLunaSol

Hey Leon, try not to use the FE8 outline when using FE7 skintones and colors. It's a bit too dark on them.

His head's also at a pretty awkward angle to his body.

Edited by seph1212

I thought it looked a little off. Thanks! I messed with FE8 tones and it looks more fitting, as you suggested, Seph.

leon-2.png

Sorry if I seem a bit slow tonight-- I'm also working on a project.

Not sure what t'do about the head angle, though.

Edited by Sir Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man, school and other assorted shenanigans happened, and still are happening. May as well squeeze in some stuff while I'm at it!

josef_w_armour.png

I gave him a quiver filled with some (admittedly) horrible-looking disproportionate arrows. Feh, any advice for them?

leon2.png

Meanwhile, I remade a lot of things on Mr. Leon here. Are the angles alright? Is the hair too messy-looking? Does he look General-like at all?

Hit me with the criticism, ladies and gentlemen! I can take it!

@deranger: Yeah, I noticed there weren't too many people interested in map sprites. I could give them a try, I suppose. Maybe I should go ahead and make a proper female Merc for public use...?

(apologies in advance for any stupidity or nonsense, it's 2 am here and I'm falling asleep as i type this.)