Pete's Pixel Love Shack

Alastemeister

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DO THE FEMALE MERC YES :D

Alright now I tend to just point out things that look off to me, I rarely actually pop it open in paint and see if you're using the colors wrong, etc, so my critique is solely based on an initial look :P But let's see here...

The second guy's right OPV cheek looks pretty bare, Idk if maybe the face should be moved over a bit or what, but it looks kinda odd..

The arrows are, yeah, really awkward looking; in a quiver, usually the arrows are all pretty straight, rather than hanging all over the place :P They also look weird because you don't appear to have used any outline color; I assume it's cause they're small and stuff, but it still looks really weird.

I can still see a lot of Pokemon influence in them, i.e. they're not QUITE up to FE style, but that's okay, really. The strands of hair are usually just thinner than you're making them currently, but it'll either get better over time if you pay special attention to it, or you can leave it, cause, really, it's your art style :3 (Unless of course you want to make a hack or something, in which case you'd probably have to either conform to FE style or make every single portrait :O)

Uhh, the second guy's cape thing is still throwing me off a bit, too.

The thing that bothers me the most is the heads' shape and size. They seem to be very inconsistent: the first one is to tall, I think, and the second one just has a huge head in general. Their jawlines are also much too round for males of FE--FE males tend to have very sharp, angular jaws unless their name is Lucius. Oddly enough, there aren't any glaring shading issues (apart from the hair, which needs to be more strippy and less fluffy); it's mostly shaping issues. Everything seems very round.

Actually yes, now that I'm looking at it, it seems like you tend to draw your portraits so that they fit into the box and fill every space, like someone's poured paint into a box and the paint is flowing to fill every corner. Try to keep FE mugs nearby for reference on size and height, I guess?

Edited by Agro

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice, all! But... I think I'll try to focus on map sprites for now, I suppose. I should just remake those two portraits or something.

Oh, and sorry for the... downtime, I guess? School's getting close to completion and I've been swamped with culminative reviews and essays and such.

HEY LOOK A LADY WITH A SWORD!

fmerc1.giffmerc2.gif

Everything done from scratch, even the bits that look copypasted from the male one. I wanted it to look similar is all.

As usual, critique and such absolutely welcome. I'll get to the movement animations soon.

Edited by Alastemeister

Absolutely! What do you think?

EDIT: oh hey the ponytail is upside down on one sprite whoops

EDIT2: hi im photobucket and i cache image files so you can't easily update them hurr hurr

Just imagine the little ponytail sprite is flipped vertically, so it doesn't look like a tiny stubby one sticking up. I fixed it on my worksheet.

Edited by Alastemeister

I like :) I'd be interested in using it in my own hack once you've got moving frames too! I just want to say though, I think maybe it could use a little more movement in the "selected" frames. :D (but i'm not sure if the actual one has that so just ignore me if it is also largely stationary)

I like :) I'd be interested in using it in my own hack once you've got moving frames too! I just want to say though, I think maybe it could use a little more movement in the "selected" frames. :D (but i'm not sure if the actual one has that so just ignore me if it is also largely stationary)

Use in a hack? Go ahead! The only movement the male does is move his arms. Since her other hand is on her hip, I'm not really sure what else to add.

I'd like to make a single battle sprite to go along with it, but there's a snowball's chance in the Australian Outback that I could animate it.

Ah, she's so cute @_@

now be my slave and make map sprites for me. pls?

Nothing wrong that I can spot. And you gave her pants!

Edited by Agro

fmerc1-1.giffmerc2-1.giffmerc3n.giffmerc3s.giffmerc3we.gif

A lady with a massive sword ahoy!

She was originally supposed to use a skirt, but how effective would that be on the battlefield? probably very effective considering fire emblem is japanese

Throw me any ideas for overworlds if anyone has any, and I'll give'm a try.

YUS FEM MERC

There already is an axe cavalier, Agro :P

Krad made one a while back.

Actually, Pete, mind if I throw a map sprite request your way?

Edited by eJubs

YUS FEM MERC

There already is an axe cavalier, Agro :P

Krad made one a while back.

Actually, Pete, mind if I throw a map sprite request your way?

Go ahead! I might not get it done for a bit though, I have assignments to do.

Go right ahead, Agro! I'll handle it after Jubs' is done.

Aaand I tried a portrait again, at a different angle. http://gyazo.com/c2b2b4dbc2c169093592b5c8364f0cfc

I'm trying to get a good design down for this guy, while also using him as a guinea pig for developing fluency in this style. Expect to see him a lot. :I

I have some time off before exams, so I'll try to get some stuff out and improve. Sorry for the absence.

Edit: Realized his neck and head connected very... oddly. Tried to fix it.

Edited by Alastemeister

• 2 weeks later...