Let's take a bet on how many unique classes DLC characters will have

Right now we've seen only Alm gain his own class; the Demon Fighter

If other Lords show up, do you think IS will put in the extra effort to give them unique (or re-purposed) Classes?

We've seen a slight shift in it, with Elincia being a regular Falcon Knight though (no Amitti for you!)

I'll be honest, I can only see the other DLC characters getting a unique class if they come up with another new (or returning) class to sell to us. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if a really popular character like Ike or so got a unique "variant" of a preexisting class the same way Marth is a Star Lord. Before we knew what the classes for the other DLC character were, I thought they were all going to get that actually.

I guess any further DLC character with his own class will be like Alm, where it's actually a new generic class that you can give to other team members. In any case, at this point, I think the most likely candidate would be Celica - who probably will have a female counterpart to magic fighter with swords/staves/tomes.

Aside from that, let's see... A new class has to introduce something new, but has to be generic enough to be given to other characters. So, I don't think we'll be seeing Laguz popping up, especially considering how the only Spotpass character who can be classed into a manakete is Tiki, who actually was one. Heh, really, I think, besides a female counterpart to Magic Fighter, anything will be a pure guess.

On the other hand, considering the whole "special item" aspect and how even these extra classes aren't tied back by the characters own past skills (Alm went from Sword+ Bows to Sword+Axes+Magic - and the class itself couldn't use magic or axes originally), they could even bring Laguz alongside a special item that allows beorc to take beast forms too, to explain the re-classing. At this point, they basically can do anything they feel like doing, especially if these DLC continue this once per week schedule for a few months.

Edited by NeonZ

I think there will be an equivalent to soldier (based on the soldier class) for Ephraim and that it will become available as a learnable class too. That is unless they are lazy and just make him a paladin.

I don't know what female class they'll add to keep the gender balance if soldier is available, but female soldier is unlikely, since the only notable one is Nephenee and she's not plot-relevant outside of RD part 2.

I think there will be an equivalent to soldier (based on the soldier class) for Ephraim and that it will become available as a learnable class too. That is unless they are lazy and just make him a paladin.

I don't know what female class they'll add to keep the gender balance if soldier is available, but female soldier is unlikely, since the only notable one is Nephenee and she's not plot-relevant outside of RD part 2.

Aran and Devdan are even less plot-relevant. I don't think they would restrict the class for no reason like that.

And as you said, based on the soldier class. Ephraim is no low-level infantry: he's not going to take that class as a playable unit. Whatever he takes will be something different, so the history of the Soldier class would have no bearing even if it contained some reason to make the class male-only.

Aran and Devdan are even less plot-relevant. I don't think they would restrict the class for no reason like that.

And as you said, based on the soldier class. Ephraim is no low-level infantry: he's not going to take that class as a playable unit. Whatever he takes will be something different, so the history of the Soldier class would have no bearing even if it contained some reason to make the class male-only.

If they make Ephraim, a lord class it'll be exclusive to him.

If they make a Halberdier/Sentinel, it'll probably be available to all units of both genders.

If they make Ephraim, a lord class it'll be exclusive to him.

If they make a Halberdier/Sentinel, it'll probably be available to all units of both genders.

Well, no one expected Alm's Demon Fighter class.

I'm sure that whatever class he gets will be available to all units of both genders, though, unless he has a male class and Eirika has a female class. Doesn't seem likely, although it would be fun.

I think the most likely candidate would be Celica - who probably will have a female counterpart to magic fighter with swords/staves/tomes.

I agree with this, especially since IS seems to want to keep the gender-ratio of things pretty balanced this time (I mean fuck the player character ratio is pretty close to 50-50 which never happens). If anything they'll want to give a female class to those people who pick female MUs and want to give their new shiny class to their MU.

But I'm not really seeing anything else.

Well, no one expected Alm's Demon Fighter class.

I'm sure that whatever class he gets will be available to all units of both genders, though, unless he has a male class and Eirika has a female class. Doesn't seem likely, although it would be fun.

I'd think that Ephraim would be a Great Lord and Eirika a Star Lord...

I'd think that Ephraim would be a Great Lord and Eirika a Star Lord...

Star Lord seems to be designed specifically for Marth.

This incarnation of Great Lord meanwhile seems designed specifically for Krom and Lucina; they each have their own version with different stats.

So I don't think we'll be seeing either of those. If they were willing to grab those classes, we might have seen it with Leaf, Roy, or Alm, but we didn't: they're going for something different.

What I meant is that the game already has a male soldier class for generic enemies and 'DLC cameo' Ephraim. It wouldn't have to take much to alter it and name it the Restoration King class. I think that if Ephraim comes in a soldier-based class, they might add a scroll too, but it might be male only. Actually, Jarod and Levail are more plot-relevant soldiers (halberdiers/sentinels though, but still lance-only), but you're right in the part that they don't have to make classes one-gender only like Demon Fighter, so a new female sprite wouldn't be just for Nephenee, and more for the other female characters. I really doubt the new classes are in the DLC and it's just pointing at something already in the game or else they would have added features like headbands already. I have low expectations of whatever comes next.

I agree with this, especially since IS seems to want to keep the gender-ratio of things pretty balanced this time (I mean fuck the player character ratio is pretty close to 50-50 which never happens). If anything they'll want to give a female class to those people who pick female MUs and want to give their new shiny class to their MU.

Taking aside the spotpass characters, this is the first FE game with the female to male ratio being higher by one girl. It also has 1 playable-without-spotpass female-exclusive class over the male exclusive options. I find this quite rare among RPGs whose main focus isn't fanservice. Although with every step forward, there's half a step backwards (female dark mages, Nono's outfit).

Maybe somewhere in the DLC/spotpass line, we get manakete!Ninian wearing something similar to Nono.

There's no excuse for any aspect of Nono, especially her outfit, but regarding your other comment, it's not the "female" Dark Mage outfit: if you look at any of the (male) Dark Mage enemies, they're all dressed in the same transparent shrinkwrap and weird gold rings. Henry has a slightly different outfit, but it still shows off his chest quite well, especially when he leans back to laugh after defeating an enemy.

Edited by Othin

Nono's just wtf but yeah

if you see Libera reclassed to dark mage, for example, he doesn't even get to have a bikini

So I'm not too bothered. The entire class is revealing, not just the women. I suspect the spandex gives them magic powers, super defense, or both.

Edited by Luminescent Blade

I really doubt the new classes are in the DLC and it's just pointing at something already in the game or else they would have added features like headbands already. I have low expectations of whatever comes next.

I don't follow your logic. Roy was one of the first DLCs. If they had already finished everything and just lied to us about including the DLC after being done with the game in the Iwata Asks interview, they easily could have made a headband face for the My Unit just to be used in DLC chars like Roy. Also, people with the game have reported that the DLC doesn't seem to be just unlock keys due to file size.

Dark mage class design I've gotten used to. I've gotten used to all of the new class designs now that I think on it though.

Of the likely characters to get DLC, Ephraim is the highest candidate for a custom class. Even though he already appeared as an enemy soldier, I'm thinking they'll give him a custom lance-only level 30 class that you can pass on to your other units.

I think they are on their way to actually getting rid of the gender ratio thing. . .

FE14: Debut of Femzerks?

That would like

make my life

Unless they make femzerks anorexic

Edited by Luminescent Blade

Star Lord seems to be designed specifically for Marth.

This incarnation of Great Lord meanwhile seems designed specifically for Krom and Lucina; they each have their own version with different stats.

So I don't think we'll be seeing either of those. If they were willing to grab those classes, we might have seen it with Leaf, Roy, or Alm, but we didn't: they're going for something different.

Perhaps Myrmidon for Eirika, then?

Taking aside the spotpass characters, this is the first FE game with the female to male ratio being higher by one girl. It also has 1 playable-without-spotpass female-exclusive class over the male exclusive options. I find this quite rare among RPGs whose main focus isn't fanservice. Although with every step forward, there's half a step backwards (female dark mages, Nono's outfit).

I haven't heard any complaints about the virtually shirtless Fighter outfits. And the male dark mages wear pretty much the same thing as the female dark mages.

Edited by Anouleth

If we get Ephraim (which I'm sure we will) I imagine he'll just be a modified version of Great Lord, in the same way Marth's Star Lord is pretty much the same as a normal lord.

edit: Also females wearing the same thing as males does not really negate the problem. Let's say we had a class in which both male and female wore bikinis. Even if they're wearing the same thing, they give two different emotions and should accommodate for such a thing. You wouldn't think a guy wearing a bikini is "sexy" now would you?

Edited by Momo

There's no excuse for any aspect of Nono, especially her outfit, but regarding your other comment, it's not the "female" Dark Mage outfit: if you look at any of the (male) Dark Mage enemies, they're all dressed in the same transparent shrinkwrap and weird gold rings. Henry has a slightly different outfit, but it still shows off his chest quite well, especially when he leans back to laugh after defeating an enemy.

Didn't notice that about the male dark mage too, since I haven't seen them in battle. Occurring on both classes doesn't even out things, it's just fanservice on a class that should be a bit more modest (everyone got loonier though, but doesn't explain why they have to show off their undergarments). I've seen barbarian!Henry laugh and show some of his chest in the trailer, but I pass it off for that type of class since they don't have enough money to cost out a shirt. Fighter Vake's another story, and you're right, Anouleth. Nobody makes a deal of it because it's 'acceptable'.

Of the likely characters to get DLC, Ephraim is the highest candidate for a custom class. Even though he already appeared as an enemy soldier, I'm thinking they'll give him a custom lance-only level 30 class that you can pass on to your other units.

That's what I want them to do, but they've been overall lazy.

Also, how long do you think it will take before all the DLC are sent out? Will they keep it up every start of the month until the end of the year or the next FE anniversary?

If we get Ephraim (which I'm sure we will) I imagine he'll just be a modified version of Great Lord, in the same way Marth's Star Lord is pretty much the same as a normal lord.

edit: Also females wearing the same thing as males does not really negate the problem. Let's say we had a class in which both male and female wore bikinis. Even if they're wearing the same thing, they give two different emotions and should accommodate for such a thing. You wouldn't think a guy wearing a bikini is "sexy" now would you?

Depends on the guy :3