SAT discussion

Flying Shogi

Overall, I think I did well on the Math and Writing sections. I didn't get to finish my essay so I will be expecting a low score on it. What sucks is that essay is 30% of the Writing section. For the CR section, I realized that I suck at comparing passages. Question like "how would author of passage 2 say about this line about in passage 1"? are the ones I usually skip and one section was based primarily on those.

Oh yeah, quick question about grammer, would you say the taxes "would rise" or "will rise" in the future? And just for confirmation, you would say " a stack of CDs is....." right?

Btw, that tax scenario wasn't on today's test so I'm not violating the rules.

It seems I wasn't the only one who took the SATs today. Ugh, it was really boring. Most of it was easy, and a couple of them had me stumped. I just didn't answer those, for fear of losing 1/4 a point and all.

With the essay, I thought I had so little time, so I wrote up to about 2 pages and put down my pencil and then my proctor was like "10 more minutes, everyone." So my conclusion ended up being awkwardly large compared to the other paragraphs.

Edited by Lux Aeterna

Oh yeah, quick question about grammer, would you say the taxes "would rise" or "will rise" in the future? And just for confirmation, you would say " a stack of CDs is....." right?

Btw, that tax scenario wasn't on today's test so I'm not violating the rules.

The taxes thing depends on circumstance. I think that will rise is the only proper answer if you are simply saying, for instance "Taxes will rise no matter what." Would implies the possibility that taxes won't rise: if the increase in taxes is based on something contingent, then would rise also becomes correct - "taxes would rise if this bill is passed." But will remains a correct answer in this instance: "taxes will rise if this bill is passed."

There are multiple cds, but only one stack, and you are referring to the stack so, is should be correct.

Edited by Jet Black Gunner

Would rise - hypothetically speaking

Will rise - definitely speaking

Examples:

"Taxes would rise if we elect this dude into office" - the guy hasn't been elected, so we can't say what will happen to taxes if he gets into office.

"Taxes will rise because a bill enacting a tax on video games was passed" - the bill states that it will increase taxes, and it was passed, so taxes will rise.

Again, depends on context. I'm not quite as good as that one, but if you can remember the question, I'll try to help.

Past tense of lie is lay (Lie down; He lay down). Past tense of lay is laid (Lay down the fork; He laid down the fork). Past participles are 'lain' and 'laid' respectively.

To add to what he said, remember that "to lie" is intransitive while "to lay" is transitive.

It seems I wasn't the only one who took the SATs today. Ugh, it was really boring. Most of it was easy, and a couple of them had me stumped. I just didn't answer those, for fear of losing 1/4 a point and all.

If you can eliminate one option, your chances of getting it right becomes 25% and getting it wrong would be 75%. So, on average, the net score would be +0.25. You could have taken that risk, since the odds were in your favor.

Psshaaaa, I wish there was a condition where you could get less time on standardized tests. At least in college you can often leave early.

No you don't. One of my friends has that and they require you take that extra time. So instead of sitting in a room for 6 hours, he had to sit in a room for 12 hours, by himself, no matter how early he finished a section.

Anyway, if you're still up, which you shouldn't be, don't stress it too much. Most colleges look a lot more at grades in high school that the SAT.

For the critical reading, don't over-think stuff. For the essay, just write it how you would any essay. Intro where you address the question, but don't restate it exactly, and bring up the topic you'll be talking about and explain why a little. End with your thesis sentence(s). Then body where you expand on your thesis. Use examples and quotes if you can. Closing where you quickly address what you've said throughout the body and formally state your conclusion (gee I wonder why they call it a concluding paragraph) and how you got it. Also, reread it to check your grammar and all that jazz. They're stupidly anal about that stuff.

And like people have said, take a snack. Something substantial, like a sandwich. You're going to be there for a while.

As long as what you want to go into doesn't really concern those sections, it shouldn't really matter. And like I said, if you've done well in school, that's going to have a bigger impact that a test you took one time. Plus you can always retake it. Schools generally take the highest score for each section.