mentally disabled children

whase

For the current project at my school we need to make a game for mentally disabled children. the children would be between the ages of 3 and 18 with the mental capabilities of between 6 months and 4 years.

the problem is, we have no idea what these children would like. what kind of theme could we best use for the game my project group will be making?

does anyone here have any experience with mentally disabled children? could you please help us come up with a theme?

(oh, and the themes "animals" and "food" are already overused by other groups)

For the current project at my school we need to make a game for mentally disabled children. the children would be between the ages of 3 and 18 with the mental capabilities of between 6 months and 4 years.

the problem is, we have no idea what these children would like. what kind of theme could we best use for the game my project group will be making?

does anyone here have any experience with mentally disabled children? could you please help us come up with a theme?

(oh, and the themes "animals" and "food" are already overused by other groups)

Generally dinosaurs, cars and Thomas the tank engine if they're boys, Disney Princess if they're girls.

What sort of game anyway, because something that appeals to the senses normally goes down well like those objects in boxes which you're meant to identify by touch.

Generally dinosaurs, cars and Thomas the tank engine if they're boys, Disney Princess if they're girls.

What sort of game anyway, because something that appeals to the senses normally goes down well like those objects in boxes which you're meant to identify by touch.

it's a computer game, we have to make it in flash.

also, we can't use copyrighted stuff, we have to make everything ourselves.

I've worked with autistic children for a number of years now, hopefully I can be of some help.

Cause and effect is something that normally goes down well. They perform an action, they get a response. Whether it be something moving or a sound. Something that makes sense, that progresses logically or fits into a category. Vehicles are another popular favourite, whether it's cars, buses or trains.

Well since they are supposed to have the metal capabilities of a six months to four years old, I would design something aiming for children that age. That means that the game would be very colorful and fairly simple with a fun and cute theme, animals, cars, or anything cute with a smiling face on it.

Fromy my experience, simple things with little to no text, and bright colors works best. Every special needs child is radically different, and they may give completely opposite responses to the same stimuli. For themes, I'd suggest something to do with animals, as that will generally (but consider the above) go over well wih both boys and girls. Make the object of the game relatively simple, perhaps guiding a dog or cat through a (small) maze, and be sure to have a "reward" at the end in the form of music or a cute animation that will motivate them to play it again. If you need some inspiration, also try looking at some of the online games made for toddlers.

Hmm, this might be too obvious to be helpful, but you might want to stick to the mouse for controls. I dunno what their computer literacy would be like...

Then again maybe they have teachers or aides who would be able to read basic instructions and teach the controls, even if the students aren't able to

Edited by Jet Black Gunner

Bright and Flashy bro.

Make it so painfully simplistic that just pressing one button can lead to an action. Simplicity is what drives a lot of family games and it's not too different here, well, except for the shameless profit.

• 2 weeks later...

When done, we must play it.

I demand my ten seconds of entertainment. :awesome:

But good luck bro.

thanks! ^^

no promises, but if the rest of my team agrees I might try to upload it on my kongregate account, if possible...

(who knows, it could even be 11 seconds of fun!)

Maybe some kind of matching game? Like matching pictures to sounds, or related stuff like different pictures of the same object. That ought to have a small amount of actual game nature while still being really easy. I know my little brother likes that kind of thing, and he fits your criteria pretty well.

^Yeah, I remember as a kid I loved games that made me feel smart like that.

not that I'm mentally disabled or anythi-SHUT UP