I don't know why a part of me wants to use Amelia.

Part of me feels like using Amelia once I recruit her in my current chapter. She's not even on screen yet, and I only got a few lines from Chapter 5, when I visited her house and got a torch. There are a few good reasons why it's a bad idea.

-First, she's a Trainee, so she'll start at level 1(?) and will have bad starting stats. Yes, I can have her visit some monsters at the tower, but she'll have to be babied either way, and I'll have to focus on protecting her.

-Second, she can be a knight (making her lancelocked and slow) or a Calvier (I already have three).

-Third, I didn't even touch Ross, so why should I use her?

I think it's the whole heel face turn thing that's attracting me to her, despite the reasons saying it's a bad idea. I was able to make a hard decision to drop Vanessa in favor of Tana (some better stats and better growths, despite being 3 levels lower), so why should this be any different?

Edited by jdb1984

-Second, she can be a knight (making her lancelocked and slow) or a Calvier (I already have three).

There is nothing wrong with having too many cavaliers. Knights are kind of useless on the other hand.

Grind her in her Tower till 10/10 and she should be on par with Franz/Forde/Kyle.

And as it seems like you have a soft spot for her, I order you to support her with Franz or Duessel.

Tana is very usable the moment she joins; Amelia, on the other hand, needs special attention for a lengthy period of time (it really doesn't matter if you do it in story chapters or in the tower/skirmishes since realistic time is being wasted anyway) without really adding anything to the party. You already have Franz, the speedy cav, Kyle, the tanky hard-hitter cav, and Forde, the mediocre cav, so why have a fourth one?

Then again, nobody has ever been punished for spending unnecessary extra time playing an RPG. Try it so that you know what the process of bringing up a Trainee is like, so that you know if you ever want to repeat it again on your next runs.

-First, she's a prepromote, so she'll start at level 1(?) and will have bad starting stats.

From FE Wikia:

Pre-Promoted is a term used when for a character who is already in a second tier or third tier class when recruited

Given that Amelia starts of as a Trainee (aka Tier 0) unit, how is she a prepromote exactly?

Edited by NinjaMonkey

The term "prepromote" sounds so ambiguous unless you're "in". The prefix seems to suggest that a unit hasn't promoted yet more than it would give one the idea that somebody is already promoted without you having to do it yourself.

The term "prepromote" sounds so ambiguous unless you're "in". The prefix seems to suggest that a unit hasn't promoted yet more than it would give one the idea that somebody is already promoted without you having to do it yourself.

That's what confused me the first time i saw the term used, because the proper term for already promoted units would be post-promote. But it's been used too much to try and change it now.

I used the wrong term. Sue me. Sacred Stones is my first FE game in a few years, so I haven't really kept on track with the right terms

yeah being passive aggressive is really going to help buddy

Anyway, it's really your call; I personally wouldn't use Amelia but if you really want to, I'd recommend going Cavalier.

prepromote is perfectly fine. Pre- means before which sends the vibe that the game promoted them for you. Postpromote would also sound extremely weird and would give the vibe that the player him/herself promoted that unit and not the game.

yeah being passive aggressive is really going to help buddy

Cut him some slack? It's not a crime to use ambiguous terminology wrong.

And Amelia should be a knight; if you're going to do anything as inefficient as using Amelia, you might as well do it properly.

That's what confused me the first time i saw the term used, because the proper term for already promoted units would be post-promote. But it's been used too much to try and change it now.

Then what does "pre-prepared" mean? What about "pre-arranged"? Or "pre-determined"?

Then what does "pre-prepared" mean? What about "pre-arranged"? Or "pre-determined"?

There are also words and phrases like "pre-school", "prehistoric", "pre-lunch drink" that suggest that something is in the stage before another stage (as opposed to having entered a later stage without your participation - e.g. pre-school is not school for those who skipped kindergarten).

@ Anouleth

"Then what does "pre-prepared" mean? What about "pre-arranged"? Or "pre-determined"?"

Yeah, all of your words end in "ed" and are verbs. pre-promote is an adjective. Pre-promote implys pre-promotion, or "before" promotion. So the correct term is post-promote but it is way too late to try to change that...

^ They all modify nouns so they are most certainly adjectives. Though you can say "we pre-arranged a meeting", most of the time you will hear about pre-arrenged schedules, plans, etc. and in those instances they are most certainly adjectives.

^^ And prepromote is a noun (As in, don't use prepromotes like Seth because they steal your EXP).

Prepromote is a problem, because like inflammable, it can be interpreted in two opposing ways. The simplest solution is for everyone to use "Tier 0-3" instead.

"Pre-" has three main uses.

1. Before. As in, preschool and prehistoric.

2. In preparation for. As in premed and preview.

3. Already. As in predetermined or prepay.

As far as context for the definition of "prepromote," it has been my understanding that the term is definition 3. As in Seth is a prepromote, or "already promoted."

• 3 weeks later...

Amelia is great, even though she needs 2 be babied, but then again, I make sure all of my units are so strong, so I baby them all by taking them to the tower (except prepromotes and Myrrh, who I let level up in chapters.)