Rate the Unit, Day 30: Mordecai

Not really. Cats can still use Olivi Grass, unlike in FE9. If anything, they were buffed in this game.

I disagree. The problem cats have is that their transform gauge drops faster than a sack of bricks - losing 4 points of gauge when going into combat and 5 points every turn is damning. For Pete's sake, for cat laguz, two attacks and a turn passing deplete most of what an olivi grass restores!

Edited by Golden Cucco

Base Mordecai has 27 Spd when in Resolve range. This lets him double everything in Part 3 except Swordmasters. Resolve Mordecai can also double most foes in 4-P. If Mordecai procs Spd, he'll have 30 Spd which lets him double almost everything in 4-1, 4-2, and 4-3 (and 4-E-1, but don't bring Mordecai to Endgame). Mordecai can easily get to level 22 or 23 by the end of Part 3, so he has a decent chance of having 10->30 AS going into Part 4. Still, I prefer to send him to the desert anyway, so he also has 4-P to proc Spd.

K, so I was right on the calcs. Thanks for the confirmation.

Disagree. Lethe is much worse in FE10. Ranulf is better, but only because he has better availability.

Sure, but FE9 Lethe had decent base stats for her join situation and had a starting gauge of 16. In this game, Lethe has little on base stats. Ranulf also kind of sucked in PoR, so...

You're looking a little too much at Lethe, not the classes really. You also couldn't keep your gauge up with Lethe in PoR without sacrificing stats.

Also, with regard to laguz in this game, are they treated as being double their level when transformed or not? I think yes, but...

Cats did get nerfed. Sure, they may have grass but their Enemy phase sucks way too much. They cant be exposed to too many enemies or GG. Which makes them kill less enemies, which means taking more time in a map, which is bad.

Cats did get nerfed. Sure, they may have grass but their Enemy phase sucks way too much. They cant be exposed to too many enemies or GG. Which makes them kill less enemies, which means taking more time in a map, which is bad.

And just how much consolation can olivi grass be when you have to burn through it every other player phase because your gauge sucks? If you ask me, it can't be much consolation... In fact, their gauge woes are why I think cats are the worst class in the game.

Edited by Golden Cucco

Also, with regard to laguz in this game, are they treated as being double their level when transformed or not? I think yes, but...

For Cexp gain calculations? Yes. And there's actually an additional penalty applied for laguz gaining Cexp from kills while transformed (-5 from kills in most scenarios). IIRC, around level 23 laguz on HM will be unable to gain more than 1 Cexp from killing any Part 3 (non-boss) beorc. Part 4 is slightly kinder to the laguz, they'll need to reach level 32 before they stop receiving more than 1 Cexp from (non-boss) beorc kills. Laguz need to be supplemented with Bexp (which is relatively cheap for them) to gain levels at any reasonable pace on HM.

For Cexp gain calculations? Yes. And there's actually an additional penalty applied for laguz gaining Cexp from kills while transformed (-5 from kills in most scenarios). IIRC, around level 23 laguz on HM will be unable to gain more than 1 Cexp from killing any Part 3 (non-boss) beorc. Part 4 is slightly kinder to the laguz, they'll need to reach level 32 before they stop receiving more than 1 Cexp from (non-boss) beorc kills. Laguz need to be supplemented with Bexp (which is relatively cheap for them) to gain levels at any reasonable pace on HM.

Ouch. I'll admit, I never really liked using non-royal laguz in this game, and that's why.

I love Mordecai. He was so useful in my laguz only run. He has incredible defense, Fantastic offense, and an actually decent transform gauge . Sadly he has crap growths, and a terrible speed cap. He is not endgame material but he sure is fantastic wall up until then. 9/10 with plus one bias