English name changes?

I can't shake the feeling that Sol is going to end up called "Solomon". To a lesser extent, it wouldn't surprise me if they attempt to "simplify" things by calling the Dark Knight "Mage Knight" and the Bow Knight "Horseman" or "Ranger".

Actually, I wouldn't mind the Dark Knight -> Mage Knight thing myself. Actually suprised they called it that in the first place instead of Mage Knight, though.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But the you get issues of "Stefan looks weird," or Kieran, or Limstella, or pretty much any name from a subjective lens. Brom looks weird. Sanaki looks weird. Zelgius looks weird. Good and bad become irrelevant under such interpretations.

I always saw it as Jist, with the J as a silent sound (like in Sonja or Lofa).

Stefan and Kieran are both real names though. In fact, I went to high school with a guy named Stefan.

Stefan and Kieran are both real names though. In fact, I went to high school with a guy named Stefan.

And what's not a real name? Xyst is fine. Gerik is fine. Medeus and Kilroy are fine. Asrey, Doga, Altenna are fine. Lofa is fine.

Whether weird or acceptable, both dribble back into subjective sputters.

Although everyone Vergil is good too

I don't think there's any FE character who can pull off Vergil Son of Sparda swag. Hell. Even Dante can so much as mimic it. :Knoll:

Also, renaming female Mark to Mara will do more harm than good.

Anyone who is familiar with SMTs Mara should know what I'm talking about even if it IS an actual name for a person. :KnollRoll:

What about female Mark? Do you think they will change her name to something else? I was thinking something like Mara or Marisa, maybe Myra or Mira? Might not even be an M name at all.

It'll probably be a unisex name. Jordan, Chris, etc...

Actually, I wouldn't mind the Dark Knight -> Mage Knight thing myself. Actually suprised they called it that in the first place instead of Mage Knight, though.

The horse and armor are black. The class is highly defensive. They could call it Mage Knight, but it would only make it even stranger.

It'll probably be a unisex name. Jordan, Chris, etc...

FE12's MU was named Chris, and he's referenced in this game through an item, which means we also may very well see him as the final DLC bonus character.

Hilarious as that would be Marcie or Marta would make more sense.

I was actually thinking the male Mark could keep his name, but female Mark would be localized as "Markie" or something. I know "Markie" isn't a commonly used name, but it would make more sense since it stays true to the "Mark" reference, but adding feminine flair to it.

I don't think anything should change and it doesnt need to

Names like krom, olivia, sol, soiree, callum and greg are all already in our minds because most of us have been paying attention to details about the game

So why would they need to change them

I imagine NoE or NoA will be on the pipe and be like

ok krom is going to be named kormindaniuers and unnecessarily mess up names

Edited by Xmas

Which names do you think the English version is going to keep/change?

It seems fairly likely that awkward names like Sol and Soiree will be changed, but familiar names like Callum and Greg will be kept.

If they change sol and soirée then that would be ritarded....

• 1 month later...

Some name changes I could understand... Nn and Wyck being two prime examples. Although, I snooped around the internet, and the Norwegian name "Unn" sounds like Nn, so that could be her name. o.o

As for Wyck... I would guess they would change it to Vick, Victor, Vake (how we originally translated it), or something similar. I would have chortles if they name him Vic, with Vic Mignogna as his VA. xD He seems more of the Troy Baker type though... But that may be due to some similarities w/ Snow Villiers (FF13). ANYWAY.

I agree that they're probably going to rename Sol a bit to avoid confusion with the skill. Though as Miscellany said earlier, Saul is a likely candidate since FE6 didn't get exported. Alternatively, they might use something like Sor. emo13.gif

Krom/Chrome/Chrom - I would say that depending on the tentativeness of the translation team, I'd like for it to stay as Chrom, but it'll probably end up as Chrome... >_>

Greg/Grego might end up as Gregor, just for more archaic terms. Greg's decently modern still - regardless, I'm fine either way.

I would actually say that they might put Loran's name as Lorrain or possibly Rolan - alternatively, I found Laurent possible as well.

Sumia/Smia - I really hope they do Sumia instead - mainly that Smia does sound like Smear... >_> <_<

Tiamo is hopefully going to stay Tiamo. Then again, Tiamat/Titania, so they might to a change for a similar name.

My guess for Mark will be that they'll change it to Marc, just to make it more unisex. Or keep it the same.

The ones I'm wondering about more are Renha and Sairi... I'm just wondering if they'll change them, which I hope they don't.

The bigger problem would be the names for FE2, 3, 4, 5, and 6, since we never got an export of them... (at least, US didn't get FE12 aka FE3 remake... colon-e.gif)

Edited by Blumpen

I dunno about Tiamo changing, since ti amo is "I love you" in Italian iirc and Tiamo's unrequited crush on Krom is a big part of her character. If they do change it, maybe they could use Tamia since it goes along pretty well with Sumia.

So what if we're familiar with a bunch of names already? That's not going to influence any changes the translation team plans to make.

They *sunglasses* didn't use Jeigan.

Krom/Chrome/Chrom - I would say that depending on the tentativeness of the translation team, I'd like for it to stay as Chrom, but it'll probably end up as Chrome... >_>

Or Crom, a deity from Conan.

Edited by deuxhero

I've said it a few times, but I honestly hope they go with the mistranslation for n_n that occasionally pops up: "Soso". Nono? *Waves hand* Soso.

Krom, I hope will be "Krom".

Mark isn't a unisex name. (And don't say anything about FE7: You picked the name and gender of the Tactician at the same time. "Mark" isn't the default name for the female tactician. There ISN'T a Default name for the female tactician. There's the Default Tactician: Mark, Male, Born in January.) I get the feeling they'll either give Female Mark a different name, or change Mark's name to something unisex.

Tiamo is hopefully going to stay Tiamo. Then again, Tiamat/Titania, so they might to a change for a similar name.

Titania is a definite no-go. Tiamat is an awesome name. It will convince me to use her.

I'm more interested in the Spotpass translations. Serlis or Celice? (Hopefully the former.) Sigurd or Zigludo? Diadora or Dierdre?

I've said it a few times, but I honestly hope they go with the mistranslation for n_n that occasionally pops up: "Soso". Nono? *Waves hand* Soso.

Krom, I hope will be "Krom".

Mark isn't a unisex name. (And don't say anything about FE7: You picked the name and gender of the Tactician at the same time. "Mark" isn't the default name for the female tactician. There ISN'T a Default name for the female tactician. There's the Default Tactician: Mark, Male, Born in January.) I get the feeling they'll either give Female Mark a different name, or change Mark's name to something unisex.

Even if it isn't a unisex name, why would they make the female name different if the Japanese version didn't? What reason do they have? The whole point of the name is to be a big fat reference to Fire Emblem 7, and it'll be pretty unprofessional of them to not understand and keep it.

Edited by Murdok Dracul

I'm more interested in the Spotpass translations. Serlis or Celice? (Hopefully the latter.) Sigurd or Zigludo? Diadora or Dierdre?

Fix'd, "Serlis" is awful and should've never been used in any capacity.

Titania is a definite no-go. Tiamat is an awesome name. It will convince me to use her.

The point was that Titania's Japanese name was Tiamat.

Mark isn't a unisex name.

Perhaps you're letting too much culture in your statement, as Mark certainly is a unisex name, as much as Leslie and Ashley are. As much as Chris is a unisex name.

Edited by Celice