Rate the Unit, Epilogue!

The FE11 RTU got taken over by the LTC crowd, so growths units like Cord, Merric, Sedgar, and Wolf all scored poorly. Not to mention this is the only time I've seen people not only propose but agree on Wolf > Sedgar and Palla > Catria, with the reasoning being marginally better bases > better growths.

Do different people vote in different threads or something? Because Franz actually ranked second in the FE8 rating series, and he does little in LTC besides acceptable combat in the early chapters and ferrying in the rest.

ITT: Whining

This is the game with warpskip. Growth units got shafted because of that. Ballista didn't, because they can bomb stuff that the rest of your units can't reach (14 range, which is the best natural range before Gotoh shows up).

Not to mention that there were a lot of bias points that dragged certain people's scores down or boosted them up. For example, when Orange and I recalculated a few scores in FE9 RTU, all but one of the characters whose scores we recalculated moved in some way. Notably, Soren > Rhys and Makalov > Tormod and Mist goes down by about a whole point when you subtract biases from the score.

The FE11 RTU got taken over by the LTC crowd, so growths units like Cord, Merric, Sedgar, and Wolf all scored poorly. Not to mention this is the only time I've seen people not only propose but agree on Wolf > Sedgar and Palla > Catria, with the reasoning being marginally better bases > better growths.

I had thought that a majority of the crowd had agreed on Wolf>Sedgar a long time ago, Sedgar doesn't beat him in anything substantial ever and wolf gets going quicker, and Sedgar's luck is kind of annoying too.

I don't keep track of FE11 too much, but the last I heard of Wolf and Sedgar was:

Honorable Mention - Sedgar and Wolf, from FE11

That's right, I'm allowing myself to cram multiple units into one spot if they are similar enough, just so I can write about more different things. I will mostly talk about Sedgar because he's the better of the two (as well as the less furry and the more liked of the two), but Wolf is so close to him that he deserves to be in here, mentioned in a Honorable Mention.

wolf is still better in H5 imo

but i'll leave that be

I agree and (slightly) disagree with you, but that depends on how many levels they can get by Chapter 8 and how many they obtain during that chapter.

So? What does that have to do with Cord getting two thirds of what should be his score? Or Roshea getting a score that's better than Matthis's? For instance, the only notable differences I'm seeing with Cord and Barst is the 3 point Strength difference, a 4 point Health difference, and one Axe rank difference. Considering that Barst got a 9.4 with those advantages, I would have figured that Cord would have gotten a at least a 7 or a 6.5.

I agree about Cord kinda... but I can see why some would rate him like that, his lack of personal weapon ranks is kinda... bad

But I can see why Roshea > Matthis

Roshea has actual bases. Matthis has nothing but big fat goose eggs for bases and a disastrous 0 luck

@ Little Al-

Cord: hes bad because of his axe rank. I mean, E rank? REALLY? As well as being a growth unit, an unreliable one at that. Barst is a lot closer to HAMMERTIME and has infinitely better bases as well as existent durability.

Merric: why use him when you have DA POPE?

On Wolf vs Sedgar- Wolf>>>Sedgar because of his better bases, not getting critted all the time and having an extreemly awesome str growth with sufficient def growth. Sedgar's def growth is stupidly overkill.

As for Palla vs Catria- Palla has B lances and better bases (despite being 1 higher or so). Having silver allows her to OHKO thing catria will take a counter from and ORKO stuff easier than catria. Catria has better growths, but chapter 14 is not a good jointime for a purely growth-based unit. Also, Palla is way hotter than catria :3.

Cord: hes bad because of his axe rank. I mean, E rank? REALLY? As well as being a growth unit, an unreliable one at that. Barst is a lot closer to HAMMERTIME
So needing 15 more rounds of combat than Barst does justifies a 4.87, how?
and has infinitely better bases as well as existent durability.
The only durability lead Barst has over Cord is 4 points of health and one point of defense. The health giving him a durability lead, I agree with. Defense? Not so much. I feel it's too marginal to make a big difference. Sure Barst has a 3 point strength lead, but as soon as a few levels set in, that strength lead is bound to shrink. I do admit Cord's accuracy is worse than Barst's overall. But I'm not saying Cord is better than Barst. What I'm saying is that I don't feel one axe rank, 4 points of health, 1 point of defense, and eventually worse accuracy is enough to warrant anything more than a 2 or 3 point rating gap between them. Edited by Little Al

1. Better Axe rank means that Barst can keep himself out of combat while building axe rank.

2. That's a 10% Strength growth difference; Cord isn't "closing the gap" on average until he and Barst gain 10 levels; it'll take 30 levels for Cord to catch up to Barst's base Strength.

3. Barst being able to pick up a Steel Axe immediately means he's doing six more damage than a base Cord.

I'd say the gap isn't big enough.

ITT: Whining

That's what the epilogue threads of RTU's are for!

^^That's 15 more rounds of combat to make it to D. Barst could be working his way to C with those 15 rounds. The whole Barst VS Cord thing sound like a "Not X" argument, though.

1. Better Axe rank means that Barst can keep himself out of combat while building axe rank.

2. That's a 10% Strength growth difference; Cord isn't "closing the gap" on average until he and Barst gain 10 levels; it'll take 30 levels for Cord to catch up to Barst's base Strength.

3. Barst being able to pick up a Steel Axe immediately means he's doing six more damage than a base Cord.

I'd say the gap isn't big enough.

Just because Cord isn't as good as Lord Barst, you know the guy that's one of the 3 best units in the game, doesn't mean he's shit. It's sort of like with Franz vs. Seth; just because Seth is better doesn't mean Franz is terrible. Granted Cord isn't as good as Franz either, but to suggest Cord's current rating is too high is ridiculous.

Cord's biggest issue early on is his defensive parameters are quite bad (and without a knight reclass always will be) and he can't chuck something from range early on to get some easy exp

I agree he could be a little higher though, if he hits level 10-15 or so, his combat is pretty solid. He's a good hunter too with that high speed of his.

edit - lolwut bord's rating is awful too

Edited by General Horace

Last I checked, 4-5 wasn't "shit". I don't see the point in giving him that much experience to "get there".

Also, Horace, read the Bord thread; you're kinda responsible for that. :P:

And I'm tied for highest! Not that I'm complaining; it's not like other people are gonna tell me how to play in H2, of all modes.

(besides drafts)

Barst can, 1-2 range, Do 6 more per hit, be way closer to Hammertime, use devil axe, Be 3RKO'd at base. Cord is another 1 range chipper with next to no EP and needs to be babied for being ever able to harm anything. Clipsey is right, we need more gab. Cord is just like Barst w/o every single thing that makes him worth using.