Fiona is terrible

I asked because I was thinking that Jon Snow was referring to Tauroneo as more of a long term character.

lol no. I meant in part 1. When hes around there, he tanks and really helps with the murder. Plus he can rescue Micaiah without taking too big of a hit in his stats. Hes a load of help in 1-6-2 like others already said. Im not much of a hard mode player (at all) but yeah. Common sense.

Why is Sothe not murdering in hard mode? Easy and Normal, doing the unequipped Sothe meatshield tactic is fine and workable, but Hard Mode? :unsure: He and Volug should be murdering a lot to help your guys from getting murdered.

Zihark is actually pretty bad because he requires to build up his support to get a still iffy dodge. Also his base stats aren't great. You are better ff trtainign Nolan and Aran (or even Edward if you are a bit of a Masochist)

Hes ok in the short term. Aran can tank after a while but his speed...his speed! D:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Between using Jill, Nolan, Micky, Aran over there it's not that bad. The trick is getting a feel of when to get more aggressive and what you can get away with. The cavalry units are pretty weak and couldn't even hit the ground if they fell off their horses. You can kill the first group before the second arrives.

I use volug a lot and he is particularly perfect for weakening enemies without killing them from 1-7 on. But even if he does kill enemies, I don't really care. It's good to build his strike and often he is a long term character. Even if I don't start out the game planning to use him for the end, I still groom him as a possible backup for units that may have turned out badly.

I don't normally level Fiona. I only did it the one time out of curiosity.

Zihark is ok. You might have to keep him from biting off more than he can chew in his awkward early second tier, but after that he is fine. He certainly can handle 1-6-2 foes easily enough though. I'm not sure how that would slow you down.

You could make most of the DB chapters go super fast if you use all the OP units they give you. I guess the thinking is that they will make the game hard but almost always give you an out if you get stuck. But then they make you pay the piper for your sins on chapter 3 if you abused it too much. It's a pretty cruel maneuver.

Edited by Talsian

Zihark is a good fill-in unit in in Part 1 on Hard mode but by Part 3 his shoddy defences ruin him and he can't do all that much to the laguz hordes because they have buffed up stats and good hit rates. Recruiting him into Ike's team is also pointless because if you do he'll be underlevelled and if you've been using Mia, she'll be at a much higher level and will mostly likely have better stats than him.

Well the key to Zihark is having him kill things on the Player turn while having him do damage, but not kill things on the Enemy turn (so he doesn't take two attacks from tigers in a round). He needs constant monitoring of his enemy's health and switching from harder hitting (but non lethal damage, no silver or brave swords) to softer hitting chip damage. I'd bring a bronze, iron, and steel sword on him so you can switch gears. Bronzes don't do crits, which is very nice when a tiger is at half health and you are worried about getting an unlucky crit on the enemy turn. I'd also be leery of using that steel sword too much. Also his luck stat is abysmal so you'll want to stick a Fortune on him in the middle battle or he could take a fatal crit from the Myrmidon based enemies. It's true, he's a pain, but it can be done pretty reliability. When he's in the 3rd tier it's smooth sailing.

Pretty reliably, but not efficiently. He's just another character from the "too much effort required" pile to be anything more than a fill-in in Hard.

As far as Trueblades go in Hard mode, Zihark doesn't exactly top the list. Mia is much easier to train, simply because she's in Ike's team (plus, her high Skill and Speed make her excellent and killing more fragile enemies with Vantage + Adept. Soren isn't great in Hard mode so removing his Adept and giving it to Mia is fine). Stefan joins with acceptable stats to be used in the Tower. Just use one of those two.

Yes, but he does have a pretty cool trench coat.

Soren faces the additional problem of being a magic user and that magic users suck by definition in this game. They give mages the advantage of special damage on certain foes, but then those foes rarely ever exist (except for Micaiah). I sort of wish Soren could at least kill Lyre and Lethe to save me the trouble.

Magic users are only generally poor in Hard mode, where their rubbish stat caps (primarily in Speed) get the better of them. Ilyana might have been useful if Thunder magic hadn't been ruined and her Speed growth didn't blow goats. Soren is a good unit in Easy/Normal, and I tried using Calill once and she turned out ok.

Soren can destroy things on the easier modes. His speed and defense will probably gimp him in hard mode. (which sucks cuz hes my honey badger of the game.) Calill actually can hit her speed cap sooner than Soren. But in my opinion shes harder to use.

Well with Soren he hits so many caps so easily in the second tier he can max his weak growths EZPZ with a boatload of BEXP on normal.

Actually, I'm betting that Zihark's issues against the laguz should be fixed with a Resolve.

If he's being trained, and not used as "filler", then yes.

Otherwise, no.

Filler Zihark with Resolve is a waste, IMO-it's better used on something else.

Well filler units on that level shouldn't even have a weapon equipped. The laguz will transform back to human and just sit there. No worries or experience drain there and less work for the healer. Much better than a resolve IMHO.

Why even use fillers for the DB p3, when they get 1-2RKO'd. Unless they're called Mr.T.

IMO, raising 2 DB units+Miccy and SOthe is about the limit in HM, due to resources and all.

Oh well, maybe it would be more obvious and seem less like a theoretical subject if Sothe were a little bit more of a capable fighter. As it is I almost feel like I'd need to go to easy mode and research to find a character Sothe could test this out on.

I used her once just for fun. I do not recommend (As you already know), some other "trash" units are actually decent if you are bored enough to train them, such as Laura.

Well if I attempt to find something good about Fiona, the only thing I can come up with is earth affinity.

Edited by Camus The Dark Knight

I used her once just for fun. I do not recommend (As you already know), some other "trash" units are actually decent if you are bored enough to train them, such as Laura.

Well if I attempt to find something good about Fiona, the only thing I can come up with is earth affinity.

Laura is far from trash

• 1 month later...

I actually like to use Fiona(even though she's sooooo hard to train). She turns out pretty good with some bexp abuse in second tier as long as her level ups are good(which they should be). She gets better as the game progresses and she has the magic 34 speed cap for doubling spirits and Ashera.

I actually like to use Fiona(even though she's sooooo hard to train). She turns out pretty good with some bexp abuse in second tier as long as her level ups are good(which they should be). She gets better as the game progresses and she has the magic 34 speed cap for doubling spirits and Ashera.

Isn't it 36 to double Ashera? I'm assuming this is normal mode as well.

Sometimes I don't even bother with Sothe at all. If he actually had a nice Mastery skill, though...

Even if he had something other than Bane, i still wouldnt use him much after part 1. Hahaa. I dunno, im just not a fan and while he isnt terribad in part 3, he certainly lags in part 4. (hes forced so its not like hes benched until Endgame. But in the desert chapter, hes pretty great for digging up the hidden stuffs.)

Despite her growths, Fiona nearly always has strength issues. Thats just another thing to slap on her ginormous list of issues. But i still use her. lawl