Impact: Chapter 1

ReformBlade

"It's thirty minutes passed the hour, Janson." A voice booms soullessly from seemingly nowhere. "It seems your boss has called twice in the past hour, the words 'fired' come up twice as well. I suggest you try and find another job, sir... I'm only here so long as you pay the bills. If the funds run out... well... so does your share of hyperion."

Yawning and stretching, the man grunts as he gets up. "As straight to the point as ever I see... And why is it that we can't just ration it out like a sensible bunch of priviliged people? I mean, isn't it toted as a friggin renewable resource? Just the other day there were people panicking about a dwindling supply of hyperion, but then the data reports came in and, get this, there is no dwindling supply. Now I'm not asking for a lot here but... with how far we've come." He pointed out the window, still struggling to get himself dressed for the clearly soon to be good day, "We have castles in the sky, we've achieved the peak of our ingenuity I'd say... Isn't it time to start cutting loose?"

"Cutting loose? You haven't heard the rumors going around, have you? There's been plenty of backstabbing going around with the higher ups these days, and, well... it's just not the fairy tale you'd think it'd be, Janson."

"You don't say? Family ignores me, my best friend is executed for treason, I've been fired from a job that I couldn't stand... Yeah I suppose this actually could be a form of fairytale, you know? Like the ones you'd have seen down there. I wouldn't mind if life wasn't such a drag..."

"Honestly, sir, it wouldn't be that hard if you just had a goal. Each day you come home, you seem to eat and then kind of sleep as you try to watch TV. Rather pathetic if you ask me."

"Good thing I didn't ask, eh? Anyway... I should go find a job, I'd rather not be evicted again." Putting on his lucky jacket, Janson walked out of his apartment and took an elevator to the ground floor. When he went outside he was greeted by the usual hubbub of civilization's mechanized ambiance. Vehicles flying by, some literally and others figuratively, people walking by and having their own conversations, a clocktower in the distance showing the current time in each part of the world as well as a plethora of screens littered here and there advertising various fashions and mediums of entertainment. "As if we need more of this junk..." He said hypocritically, "Almost everyone has access to this stuff without the need to advertise it, why bother? Oh whatever..." Secretly he wished for it all to stop working, for everything to just suddenly not matter and for everyone to just listen to common sense and join together as one to survive and live as they should have from the start... But deep down he knew that'd never happen, at the very least never in his lifetime.

Walking along with his head held down like he was listening to music, he was oblivious to his surroundings and the general change in behavior flooding the populace. When the noise changed so drastically from frenzied nonsense to genuine panic, he looked up. He noticed that a lot of lights were flickering. Not just a lot of them. All of them. "Flickering?" He mouthed to himself, unsure of what to make of this development. His body decided to make him tremble, but he didn't actually feel scared so much as unsure of anything going on. The hairs on his neck stood up and now he knew nothing good was going to happen. Lights flickering, hair standing up, this isn't good or normal... Is this some sort of... terrorist attack?! Oh god I'm paranoid... This isn't normal, why won't this feeling go away, why won't this damn flickering STOP!?

The thin veil that surrounded the entire world he lived in disappeared, his fears only heightening. Janson felt sick to his stomach, ready to vomit from the stress of it all. "What is... going on?" He asked when out of nowhere he felt like he was jolted, a ringing in his ears as he writhed for little more than a second. He patted himself down, wondering what the hell was going on, why he felt the way he did and why the flickering... stopped? Indeed, the flickering stopped, replaced by an ever intensifying glow from the screens and lights. A glow that got brighter and brighter until it broke each object that emitted it, a blinding flash and force knocking him over again, however, he felt lighter suddenly... In fact, he seemed to be getting increasingly lighter, and the his sense of balance seemed to shift rather noticeably too... The wind in his face soothed him. "Wait... the wind shouldn't be this fast..." He grumbled to himself, his heart racing wildly at this point like he just couldn't shake off the energy. In fact, the people around him were starting to look... different. Hair seemed to be the most noticeable difference, like someone took eahc person and dipped them headfirst into a random colored blotch of paint. But that wasn't the only thing he noticed. It was now that he realized that everyone was running in front of him, everyone... panicking again. Some people were on fire, there were others who seemed to have grown animal features out of nowhere. "Wait... what the hell?" Janson said under all the roaring. There were people with claws where hands should be, people vomiting unidentifiable liquids, there were people emitting strange and destructive forces of nature upon their surroundings, people dying all around him. It was... strange to see, like something overcame everyone, something deep inside them was sealed but now undone.

It wasn't until he looked forward, beyond the destruction around him and the ground seemingly falling out from him that he realized what was going on. "Oh my God... How?"

He scrambles as best as he can, getting burned and cut from various objects flying about, away from the view. Glass, metal, burns, shrads of ice, acid... He was being attacked by things he never thought he'd ever have to seriously worry about. Putting logic on the shelf for the moment, he found himself climbing buildings which were now at ludicrous angles.

The castle in the sky is falling, he thought to himself before he finally accepted that it is indeed a reality, not a dream. No... this isn't a dream, this CAN'T be a dream... I'm not this crazy, am I? Maybe I am...

"How are we falling...?" He asked calmly, the events happening so fast he cannot understand what was going on. The shock of the situation was too much for Janson to handle, a sensory overload causes him to black out and fall lifelessly to the surface.

The terror and the anger, the fear and the panic the citizens of the fortress was reaching new heights as the fortress plummeted to the ground with a colosal crashing that shook the very land, destroying and ruining the surface as far as they could see...

Some time later...

Janson wakes up in a frenzied sweat, heart still racing and panic overtaking him. He let out a few yelps of pain as he scrambled around broken glass rubble with sharp edges... Looking about, there was destruction everywhere. The land seemed warped and distorted, buildings and broken vehicles littered the area as far as he could see. Speaking of seeing... "Is that... Oh my God, how did- what the fu- There is... This is a dream. This is a dream, and I'm going to wake up to that piece of shit voice any time now, I will just accept my lott in life, NO this isn't real, this CAN'T be real, WHY AM I NOT WAKING UP?!" he starts shouting to no one, crying and pounding his fist into the ground as hard as he could. The pain kept him from going absolutely insane, or at least that's what he hoped was the case... He heard some shuffling behind him and he turned to the sound, freezing. "Oh Jesus... Are you alright?!" there seemed to be human being other than him in the immediate area, but she looked pretty banged up and bloodied. "Oh shit, let me get help, just... Just stay still, I swear I'll help, don't die on me, PLEASE!" He didn't know why he wanted to help her out so badly, but he had no time to question this. He flipped over everythign he could in the area, desperately hoping against hope there would be something to help this woman with. Something to stop her bleeding, something to fix her up... A gasp and a groan later, he looked over to the now unmoving body, fear overtaking him yet again. "No... no no NO! NOOOO!" He rushed over, as if he could magically fix her now that he was even angrier. "Please... Please don't die, I need help too! P-Please... I don't know what's going on, I don't who you are but please... Oh God, if you exist, just... HELP HER?! How can you do this?!"

Silence...

After just about the longest moments he had ever been concious for, Janson's tear soaked face turned to the sky, a heave and a sob every so often. His gaze turned to the west, where there seemed to be a massive jutting jumble of rubble, like a poorly put together tower. "That's... That's New America, isn't it? Of course it is, of courseit is..." Shaking his head, Janson sat still as he let the situation dawn on him.

"I'm on the surface. Of Earth. The planet we left to die practically... Why am I being punished for the sins of my fathers?! I didn't do anything to deserve this... this exile on a fucking barren... planet... Wait, wasn't it supposed to be barren?!" He looked to the east, noting the plethora of plant life and growth everywhere. Trees and branches protruding from buildings, flowers in bloom seemingly in random spots, entire buildings covered in green moss... "What the hell..."

Standing up, heart racing yet again, he looked out over the sprawling landscape.

"We screwed up... Didn't we?" He said, feeling a sudden surge of adrenaline kick in. Not knowing what to do with it, he set off towards the jungle at a frenzied pace, not even realizing the changes he was undergoing.

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screaming... glass shattering... falling...? Yeah, there was falling. Dustin stirred, breathing in a mouthful of dust, causing him to cough and sputter. He felt like death, rolling onto his back and staring up at the sky. "What just happened, really?" He didn't want to think, he wanted to find out where he was. But he still couldn't believe what had just occurred. "The fortress fell, didn't it? How... well I doubt I'll find a reason. I'm still alive, right? Then I guess that's what matters..." Attempting to sit up, he found that his right leg hurt. Finally giving his body a look, he found that a shard of glass had jammed itself in there. "Oh... that's bad. That's really bad." First Aid was part of his college course, but he'd never had to give it any practical use. His shirt, or rather the shirt he had found whilst the fortress came crashing down, was tattered, and the arm was coming off. "Perfect." He tore that off, and prepared himself for the incoming pain that was sure to follow removing this.

Though he didn't prepare himself as much as he thought he had, crying out in pain as he tore the glass out. "Okay... Okay... just, j-just wrap the cloth around the wound." Wiping away his tears, he finally managed to get that wound wrapped up, though it was still bleeding. Better than nothing, right? "Now... let's find out where I am, before I worry about what just happened." He stood, albeit painfully, and glanced around. "A small hill, that way. I should check there..."

Limping his way along, he had time to think about what had occurred. People suddenly started freaking out, and some of them started changing like crazy. And then gravity kicked in. There was a shockwave. Everyone started floating, or rather, falling. He had just been getting out of the shower, ready to head off to college for the day, when it happened. What a way for the world to end, eh? He almost laughed, and would have, if not for the pain in his leg. But despite that pain, he got himself on top of the hill, spotting two things that made the day way better. First, a notepad, sitting there in almost pristine condition, on top of the hill. His face lit up as he grabbed it, flipping through the pages to make sure it was all in good condition. "Yes! Oh, this is amazing... now I just need to find a pen, or a pencil, or something. But..." he spotted the second thing, a giant mass of foliage and greenery. "I think I want to check that place out first. This land was supposed to be barren, but... everything's been covered in green, as far as I've seen. And I'd rather be there than out here. Maybe there'll be other survivors. Maybe I can find something to write with... Maybe..." He started walking. "I just need to stop thinking about everything." He started on the 'jungle', smiling just a bit.

Cyrus had just finished his morning coffee when he heard the alarms sounding. 'What the hell is that? Is there some kind of attack going on? Whatever, someone is probably hurt, so time to get to work.' Cyrus thought as he grabbed a medical kit off of the wall in the infirmary and shoved it in his coat before running outside. Just in time to see all hell breaking loose, half beasts, incredible hair colors, and fire, fire everywhere. Seeing a girl nearby on the ground Cyrus knelled next to her and was about to go to work on her, just before he felt his head slammed against the ground and entered the blissful embrace of unconsciousness.

'Damn...... what in the hell hit me?' Thought the young doctor to be as he woke up, only to see an incredible sight before him. 'Is that the fortress? There's no way we could have crashed is there?' Cyrus would have continued to ponder his situation if not for all the bodies surrounding him. Feeling around in his lab coat Cyrus breathed a sigh of relief to find the med kit still there, intact no less. Getting to the closest person near him Cyrus looked over the unconscious woman, before opening his kit and taking out some gauze to patch up her bleeding. Hearing footsteps behind him Cyrus continued to work but said "Listen if you're hurt just wait a second and I'll help you, I need to stop this bleeding first though."

Marcus stretched, rolled off his bed, whatever. Another day to hear people explain things about machines he already knew how to build, another day to have people laugh at him for his complete lack of physical coordination. He grabbed his bag, throwing it over one shoulder as he pushed his way through the crowd.

Just as he reached the engineering wing, however, something happened. He wasn't sure what. The lights were flickering, he felt as if his head was being pushed through a blender. He scrambled backwards as someone ran past him with bright blue hair and what appeared to be a pair of hawk wings. Oh god, what's happening!?

No explanation was forthcoming, though, so Marcus dove into the insanity to see if he couldn't get to some mechanism, see if he couldn't help. The more experienced engineers usually brushed him off as an inexperienced kid, but chances were they'd appreciate all the help they could get.

Before he could get far, though, there was what sounded like a loud explosion, the loudest sound he'd ever heard. He doubled over clutching his ears, feeling like they were going to burst. He thought he felt a trickle of blood.

---

No mom, I don't want to get up...

Silence. Marcus groaned and opened his eyes to see...

Sky. Actual, blue sky, not just the view from his window.

Am... am I dreaming?

It seemed not, as the ground around him was littered with dead bodies; it was too surreal to be a dream. Marcus could've sworn he could hear someone shouting, a doctor? He was unable to locate the source of the voice, but he found something else- a small pistol.

The machines are gone... What can I do here?

Marcus grabbed it, holding it near his head. I'll be of no use alive... He clicked the hammer, then...

THUNK

"Gah-!"

His head split open again with a loud SNICK. Marcus collapsed again, dropping the gun without firing, yelling incoherently. A stream of blood fell from his ear again.

"H-help! Is there anyone there...?"

Kaden

... The hell am I doing with my life?

It was still early in the morning, the heat barely beginning to pick up. Kaden had told Charlotte he needed to go to work, but more than anything, he felt a need to just get away from everything. He'd taken their Pegacycle towards the forest outside their city, which was still a good half-hour flight away.

What is there to do? The only reason I'm sticking with these shitty jobs is Charl. If not for her, I'd actually have gone to a proper school, learnt about... Damnit, why does it sound like I'm blaming her? Kaden, you need to do this for your sister, so she'll continue to be happy. You know that, you idiot! 'Sides, it's not as though working these jobs didn't teach me nothing anyway...

The forest was extremely large, thousands of trees flooding the land, the ground underneath them impossible to see. Kaden parked the flying motorcycle outside the woods before walking in, leaning against a tree, closing his eyes and taking a deep breath.

Suddenly, the entire world began to turn.

Oh fuck, oh fuck, what the hell's happening?! Panicking, Kaden tightly gripped the tree he was leaning against, wrapping his limbs around it. He shut his eyes, screaming as the fortress began to tip over, plunging towards the ground.

---

A-Ahh... My... back... g-goddamn...

Kaden barely managed to turn himself so he was leaning on his side. The force of the drop had thrown him off the tree, and he'd landed rather painfully on his back, on top of some other trees. His arms and legs were covered in cuts and bruises, but he was somewhat amazed he was alive. The only major injury he had sustained was a rather long cut across his back, but at the moment, that didn't matter to him.

Oh god, oh god, Charlotte, Charlotte, Charlotte! He limped over to where his motorcycle had been. Miraculously, the bike was still (mostly) in one piece, but the display screens were flickering, and it was generally bent beyond repair.

I need to get h-home now... But alone, I won't even get anywhere c-close... Dammit, I don't want to waste any time!

S-Sis... You'll be fine, I hope...

Edited by Shatter

As the generator buzzed to life, the engineer took a step back from it, wiping the sweat from her brow. This thing had been giving them a fair bit of trouble for the last day, every fix they had tried thus far had failed spectacularly.

"Well would you look at that? Selena, the magical machine fixes up another, no sweat." Another engineer chided, with a chuckle. The woman, Selena, stood with a slight grimace and turned towards her colleague.

"Would you can it already, Dave? I'm no miracle worker." Selena retorted, a slight of anger in her voice, and a light flush crossing her cheeks.

"Geez, you know I'm only kidding, Selena. But seriously, you were the top of the class in University too, even the senior engineers have asked you for advice sometimes... it's eerie, those guys are way too cocky for something like that... sometimes I think you're a damn machine..." The man taunted with a smirk, receiving a prompt glare and a light tap to the back of the head.

"You know, that's no way to talk to a lady, Dave. Besides... it's nothing special, I just... I've always had a knack for machinery. When other kids were flying around on their bikes, I was trying to figure out why those things could fly... I was a weird kid." Selena replied, with a somber expression, before her head perked up and she gave Dave a hard stare.

"And who are you calling a machine!? Do you really think I'm that frigid?" Selena continued, anger fuming before receding into a pout.

"Hey, c'mon now Selena, you know I didn-"

The man's words were cut off by a thunderous explosion, and the sounds of screaming.

"What the he-"

Then the shockwave hit. With a blast of force and energy, the monitors within the engineer's workplace began to shatter, generators and other such machines began to malfunction and were thrown about every which way be the force of the blast. Both Selena and Dave were tossed aside through the hall like rag dolls, eventually stopping cold at the end of the ruined passageway.

'Oww... oww oww oww... what the hell was that... where am I, what happened... why can't I feel my-' For all Selena knew, she couldn't feel anything past her wrists. Where were her hands, could they have been torn off from the impact? Wouldn't that hurt more, why couldn't she feel anything? Looking down, her hands were there, thought they appeared to be silvery in colour.

'No no that isn't right that can't be right.'

The woman blinked. Her hands were still there, and they were their normal colour. It was all a dream, her mind playing tricks, yes, none of it was real, she would wake up in her bed and the generator would still be broken and nothing would have gone wrong and everything was going to be back to normal and Dave wouldn't be screaming in agony-

"Dave?!"

The man was curled over himself, clutching his midsection as he belted out a horrid shriek, along with it a steady stream of a thick, crimson red liquid.

'It's blood, you idiot. Stop deluding yourself.'

"Dave! What the hell happened to you, Dave?!" Selena called out to him frantically as she approached him, her eyes fighting against her own will so that they may shut out the scene before them. Dave, impaled on a broken support, spewing out a grotesque amount of blood. His skin charred to dramatically that it looked as though rather than skin, it was scales.

Selena reached out to him.

'It... is scales? No no Dave is human he can't have scales he has skin what is going on what is happening to Dave whatishappeningtoeverything?!'

*Thump Thump*

"Se- ren... Sele... na?" Dave's voice, or what remained of it. It was warped nearly beyond recognition, and as he turned his face towards Selena, she couldn't help but feel somewhat repulsed by those sharp, yellow eyes, or the elongated snout...

"D-dave?"

*Thump Thump*

'He's... become a... lizard? But they, how did...' *Thump Thump* '... this... this is... insane.'

"Se- se- se- sel- rrrgghrrrr...." The repeated attempts to choke out her name were futile. The man soon lost himself to his baser instincts... what a delicious morsel this human looked to be... how easily his teeth could rend her soft flesh, take her down his throat and devour her where she stood...

"KRAHHHH!"

A derisive screech, as the Lizard man tore himself from the support holding him, ripping out a chunk of his intestines in the process. It didn't matter, nothing mattered, this woman, this girl, would be his to devour, his to savour, no one else would have his mark, no one else would taste her flesh and blood as it slithered down their throat in the triumph of a predator... she was his, and no mere mortal wound would stand in his way, he still had enough time, his body was strong enough, he could get her, get his euphoria, it wouldn't take long, his body would hold out until then.

'Dave?!'

The man become lizard had torn free of his constraints, and was now leering at Selena hungrily, his bright yellow eyes focused on her, only on her. He lunged, his mouth agape, aiming to tear her head from her shoulders in a single strike. Selena could do naught but follow instinct. Protect your head, use your hand to block the hit, you can lose that and you'll live, the head, not so much. Her hand was surely doomed, as well as a chunk of her arm, they weren't shields, they would lose to those razor teeth.

*Thump Thump*

'If only they were shields...'

The clang of a hard impact on metal. Selena felt a slight sting from her hand, the first she had felt of it since the shockwave. Why was there not the pain of it being ripped clean off? Perhaps the nerves were simply that badly broken, Selena reasoned, afraid to open her eyes which had shut tight out of fear.

*Thump Thump*

Her eyes fluttered open, as if it were fate that they do so. She saw her hand... still intact?! Dave- no, this grotesque abomination wasn't worth slandering his memory, had bit down on the slender hand, but his teeth had stopped cold... as before, the appendage bore a silvery sheen.

*Thump Thump*

No, it wasn't her hand... it was attached to her wrist but it wasn't her hand... it was...

'A shield?'

*Thump Thump*

The beast pulled away, taking a mighty leap backward, before clutching it's wound.

'Why is this happening what is happening what happened to Dave what happened to me what happened to everybody what in the hell is going on?!'

*Thump Thump*

Perhaps it was instinct. Her body called out for a weapon, something with which to slay this foul beast, so that of the two, she would walk away, not unharmed, but alive. A slight tingling at her wrist forced her eyes down to it... in place of the shield... was a dagger? Her other wrist gave that same, strange sensation... another dagger?

*Thump Thump*

A heinous shriek and another lunge, the beast was growing desperate. It had not much time, no time no time It's time to kill it's time to eat it's time to-

Selena struck at the beast as it flew towards her, the knife jamming itself into the skull of it's victim. As she pulled her weapon... her body, out from him, the lizard man fell, dead. When Selena looked down, her hands... they were hands again... thought she still could not feel them.

And then, impact. The fortress crashed to the ground, and Selena was ejected forcibly by it, landing a ways outside. She saw several others as she soared through the skies, however brief it was, some still looking human, some incredibly deformed... her mind could not even process it any more, far too much had already been taken in. As she landed into the foliage with a thud, Selena saw the world go dark as she lost consciousness.

Chanji tumbled into consciousness. The first thing to register was the excruciating headache, the second was the blood pooling at her fingertips. Relief washed over her as she realized the blood wasn't her own, but panic set in immediately after. There was a dead person right there and... and they had claws. She scuffled backwards before bumping into another body, this one charred. It fell apart as she touched it. Chanji screamed.

It didn't matter where she ran, just that she was getting farther away from the ruins of a street littered with bodies. The fact that she stumbled upon the crumbling remains of her house was pure coincidence. She entered, finding the place mostly intact, managed to stuff some necessities into one of her old backpacks, and turned to leave. She didn't get far before noticing something crushed under a piece of wall.

No, it couldn’t be.. There was a bit of tail sticking out under the debris. Chanji frantically pushed pieces of rubble and sheetrock away, trying to free the dog crushed underneath. She was crying now. Besides her father, Pebbles had been the only family she had left. There was so much blood and the animal wasn't moving, and then Chanji made the biggest mistake of her life. She tried to pick it up.

The pain was immediate and intense. She could feel her skin ripping off and reforming, and it was all she could do not to claw it off herself. She was reduced to a screaming ball within moments. Then, suddenly, the pain stopped. Her senses were still hazy. Everything looked monochrome, in shades or grey or blue... She stumbled outside and down the street. Her head was so foggy, she couldn't remember anything. Who knew how long she'd been walking? This didn't look like the city anymore... There was a person ahead of her, one who wasn't dead. Why did that seem odd? He said something, what she didn't know, as she had already passed out on the ground.

Edited by roymbrog

Cyrus finished bandaging the women unconscious before him, Taking a closer look at the woman, Cyrus felt an uncanny familiarity with her, though he could not place why. Anyways, Cyrus also noted there was a large amount of blood on her hands, but it didn't seem to be her's as there was no wounds around her hands that could have caused that much blood to spill out.

Hearing the person behind him collapse Cyrus looked to see some type of canine creature lying there, the shape of a girl yet the features of a dog.

'Maybe she's like those things I saw before I got knocked out? Man I don't even know what the hell is going on today, the only one's alive around here aside from me are that woman I just helped and this....... thing? Maybe whatever caused the crash did this to her. Because those clothes are new, maybe a mutation of some kind?'

Deciding he'd at the very least check the creature out while it was unconscious Cyrus noted that it wasn't exactly as terrifying as he'd thought it might be. Like a much less frightening version of a werewolf from those old books he'd read. Finding that there was no injuries on the ......person before him Cyrus, giving a sigh he simply decided to take a seat and wait for either of the two people next to him he started to search his lab coat for a pack cigarettes. Managing to find his pack Cyrus gave a curse as he couldn't find his lighter, wishing he had a flame.

"GOD DAMMIT WHAT THE FUCK!?!' He yelled as he felt a very hot flame coming from his thumb and lighting his cigarette on fire, his skin wasn't actually burning but it sure as hell felt like it. The pain of this was actually going away pretty quickly though thankfully, though as soon as Cyrus stopped concentrating on the flame it went away. Only to come back as he thought of the fire again. "DAMMIT!" the pain came back but went away again.

'I'm just gonna leave that alone for a while till I can piece all this together, once those two wake up I'll see if I can figure out what happened here.' He thought as he took a drag of the now light death stick in his mouth

"Urgh..." Selena groaned as she regained consciousness, the entirety of her body being racked by a series of painful thuds, keeping somewhat of a beat with her heart. Her head felt as though it were about to burst, and everything else was a simple, dull pain, the persistent kind. The only thing that didn't hurt was her hands...

'Oh... right.'

She was awake. And the fortress was there, laying on the ground smouldering... none of it was a dream afterall.

"Is this... really real?" Selena muttered to herself, before taking the time to look around aside from the fortress. Her body was bandaged in several places, her hands... her weapons, still stained with blood. There was a man nearby smoking...

'A man?!'

Selena bolted upward at her realization, but a sudden jolt of severe pain brought her back down to the ground, curling herself up into a pained ball.

"Are- are you really here? A human being... a normal person?" She inquired towards the man, her head still pounding.

'Shit! She's shouldn't be up so soon!' Cyrus thought as he got up and ran towards the woman.

"I'm about as normal as you're going to find right now, I'm Cyrus, doctor in training. Listen, you took a pretty bad fall out of the fortress and landed hard. I tried to bandage you up as best I could but I don't have much to work with. Aside from you and me the only other living thing around here is that........ girl I dare say over there" He said as he pointed to the dog hybrid "Do you feel like anything is broken in you? I need to try to fix it if anything is wrong."

'I can't let her die on me, she's the only other normal one around and I don't want to be alone with all that's happened'

Dustin began his way down the hill, only to hear someone shouting in the distance, "GOD DAMMIT WHAT THE FUCK!?!' He almost stumbled and fell the rest of the way, catching himself on some debris and looking in the direction the noise came from. "That was a voice. That means people!" He could barely see the outline of some people, but it was better than rushing off into that jungle alone. They aren't too far away. I'm not alone anymore, this is great! Maybe one of them has a pen... His leg was slowing him down, but he kept going.

And it didn't take him long to get over to where he heard the shout. Looking around the corner of some debris, he spotted to people who seemed awake. A woman, a man, and upon further inspection, he noticed an... animal? "What even is..." without thinking, he spoke aloud, jumping back behind the debris. You moron! You don't even know if these people are friendly! But they must've been from the fortress as well, right? But... with all that's happened... He didn't want to move yet. If he had to, he could break for the jungle. Hopefully they're not crazy. Maybe they're just as confused as me?

"If anything is broken, it's everything." Selena groaned, with a dejected sigh.

"But I don't think anything is broken so much as really sore." Selena continued, managing to sit up and rest her back against a tree. That was when she heard what sounded like a voice, saying something strange.

"Did you say something?"

Shit, they did hear me. Good job, man, good job. Dustin crept out from behind the debris, a bit of an awkward smile on his face. "H-Hey there, how's... it going?" This is a great situation. He stumbled a bit because of his leg though, catching himself on the debris and slowly falling until he was sitting. "As for being okay, my leg got stabbed by some glass in the fall... you are all from the collapse of the fortress, right? I was going to college there..." Better make some small talk, if anything. "The name's Dustin... you all are?"

"Name is Cyrus, I was a doctor in training on the fortress." He said keeping himself low and near his latest patient. "You haven't noticed anything different about yourself have you? Any changing of body parts or fire coming out of places?"

The man seemed to have not said anything, but it seems there was another behind him. The man gave his own name, and asked for theirs.

'He seems normal as well...' Selena noted to herself, her eyes drifting to her hands with a grimace. What was wrong with her? Why had her hands become shields, knives? What sort of insanity was this?

'Oh. Of course that would happen...'

Her right hand was an extended dagger. As she looked at it, it seemed rather simplistic in design. A straight, double-edged blade. She held it up in front of her with fascination.

'Is this... me? I still can't feel anything in my hand... can I even call this my hand anymore?'

It was a hand again. Was that how it worked? Her hand would morph into whatever shape she thought of? What had happened to her in that blast? What was that blast, even?

'Right... names.'

"I'm Selena... I was an engineer..." She finally answered, somewhat timidly. It was at this point that she caught what the first man, Cyrus, had asked?

'Body parts... changing? How does he... how could he...'

"How did you... know?" Selena managed, pushing herself up off the ground with some effort. She began to stumble as she walked, her body drained from her injuries.

'So... it should work like... this?'

Her hand was gone, replaced by a thin metal rod, which shot from her wrist into the ground, steadying her.

"Do you... know why this is happening?" Selena asked, holding out her other hand, which shifted from the colour of pale flesh to that same silverish sheen.

"Right, Cyrus, hi... A doctor, huh? And... what do you mean by changes?" Fire coming out of places? What? Just what happened when the fortress fell? The woman spoke, and he turned his vision to her. Whoa... WHAT THE HELL?! "Whoa, whoa, what happened to your hand where'd it go why is it made of metal ohmygod!" He pressed himself up against the debris he was resting on, eyes wide in some form of terror. "Selena, right? What... what the hell did you just do to your hand?! Why, why is it made of metal?!" You should've ran, this was a bad idea, this was a really, really bad idea!

Edited by seph1212

Running his hand through his hair Cyrus let out a sigh. " Try to calm down, Dustin and listen. I haven't got a damn clue what's going on to be honest. I'm trying to stay calm on the outside, but on the inside I think I'm about to have a mental breakdown. People are changing in ways, Selena can morph her hands and I can make a small flame from mine."

Taking another drag he continued "That dog thing over there is another case entirely, for all we know the rest of the fortress ended up like that or dead. The best thing we can do right now is stay put and figure out our situation. And I should take a look at your leg before you lose any more blood."

The world was spinning. Voices were being mangled with the ringing in her head and she covered her ears to keep out the noise. Chanji sat up suddenly. Her ears felt weird. She looked at her hands, failing to recognize them. Having fur and claws did that. She started to cry, which only ended up sounding like a dog whining. So focused she was on her predicament, she hadn't bothered to notice those a few yards away.

"I wish I knew." Selena replied to Dustin, stumbling back slightly, before returning her hand to normal and leaning against a tree behind her.

"I was working with a friend when we were hit by the shockwave. I came out okay, but he was... transformed. He became some sort of lizard man..." Selena began, trailing off as she recalled the event.

"He lost any sort of reason, and lunged at me... the only thing I could see in his eyes was... hunger. When he attacked me, I just did what instinct told me to... I sacrificed my hand so that he wouldn't take my head off and kill me... all I could think of was begging the world for a shield..." At this point, Selena stopped talking and held her hand out towards Dustin. The same tingling sensation at her wrist, as the hand was replaced with a small shield attached to her wrist.

"I had no idea what was happening. He jerked back and attacked me again after that... by the time he had reached me, my hands had become daggers."

Selena stopped again, the shield at the end of her wrist morphing into a small blade, still stained with the blood that had not yet been washed off. She gave Dustin a weary look, before stabbing the blade into the trunk of the tree supporting her, tears falling from her eyes as she began to speak, though shaken.

"I shoved this thing through his skull and killed him... I don't even remember thinking about it, it all just happened so fast I... I didn't realize what was happening until he fell dead at my feet... that's when we hit the ground..." Selena concluded, the blade dissapearing and being replaced with the usual appendage, Selena falling to her knees, sobbing.

"What the hell is happening?! Why can't I just wake up already?!"

He listened to Selena talk, trying to calm himself down as best he could. Her hands were still scaring him, but as she went on, he couldn't help but feel sorry for her. She didn't want this. I shouldn't be making her feel worse. "I-I'm sorry... I didn't mean to freak out, it was just... a bit jarring, is all. And about your friend, I..." He thought for a moment. He sighed. "I don't have anything to say. Would I have done any different in your position? Probably not. Your life came first, is all... and if he had become such a monster, you probably did the right thing. I was just getting out of the shower when everything started going to hell. You both seem to have gone through something... much worse." He looked over at Cyrus, who had asked him to calm down. "I think I've got that covered, yeah. I just wish I knew why nothing happened to me, y'know? I... haven't had any weird things happen since I woke up. And I can't feel anything. Other than the pain in my leg." He flinched again, his thigh stinging. The cloth he'd wrapped around it was starting to drip with blood. "Cyrus, I'll take that offer for a fix up, if you don't mind."

Something stirred in the corner of his eye, as he finished talking. "Did... did that just move?" He pointed at the dog-person-thing, who seemed to be crying.

Edited by seph1212

Giving a nod to Dustin, Cyrus began to bandage the man's leg. Thankfully though it was a quick and easy job. Deciding to comfort Selena as well he walked forward and stood next to her

Putting his hand on the shoulder of the crying girl next to him Cyrus attempted to give her some words of encouragement. "Listen Selena, I know this doesn't mean much from a guy you just met but I'm sorry about your friend. I never asked for this stuff to happen but I don't plan on it being the end of me either. This is real life and we have to accept it, even though we don't want to."

'Oh boy what I'm about to do is stupid, but I have to do it.'

Changing his position from standing above Selena to being on the ground Cyrus (While minding the arms) wrapped her in a hug. "We're gonna get through this all right? We can't afford to lose it after surviving the fall"

Words. Nothing but worthless words, meaningless in of themselves, the only potential in them whatever thoughts they conveyed. Selena couldn't process any of it, her mind too cluttered with what had occurred.

'...sometimes I think you're a damn machine...'

Selena let out a dejected sigh, looking at her hands with a vague gaze.

'...what kind of joke was that, Dave? Did you... did you know what was going to happen... why didn't you say anything...?'

If she was a machine, her processors were overheating. Selena's head was pounding, her cheeks garnished with a feverish flush.

*Thump Thump*

'...it's not like my hands... can feel anything anymore? Will the rest of me become this way? I really will be a machine then, won't I?'

*Thump Thump*

More words... these ones were closer then before. Selena looked upwards, her eyes hazy, only to see the Cyrus man lower himself from above her to her level. He came closer and closer, and then... warmth?

*Thump Thump*

'He is... warm?'

*Thump Thump*

'But... machines don't feel heat...?'

*Thump Thump*

'... Then why can I...?'

*Thump Thump*

'... could I be...'

*Thump Thump*

'... human... ?'

*Thump Thump*

'... even after... all of this?'

*Thump Thump*

Yes, the only word to describe her was overheating. Selena wasn't quite sure what to do, only giving a blank stare past the man who had come close to her. Her heart began beating at a rapid pace, her head spinning, her skin growing ever hotter... her hands, her blasted hands still didn't feel anything. Those same hands which were no longer hands but small wired circuits, taking the pumping blood and the spinning and the heat and converting it to... electricity?

Yes, Selena recognized the distinctive crackle of the electric charge as it arced across the metal wires, the man was close far too close surely he was being shocked but Selena couldn't do a think about it, her brain simply refused to function, as her body released it's stress and heat into the air as an electric current.

Sharp pain, that was the only thing Cyrus could feel as he had hugged the woman infront of him. Not enough to damage anything, but still enough to hurt.

"Oh crap that hurt. Aghhh" Cyrus croaked out as he clutched his sides where he was shocked.

Selena didn't seem like she was taking in anything, which made Dustin sigh a bit more. Cyrus took it to the next level with a hug, though. Dustin almost laughed. People these days. Guess I can't blame him. He's just trying to do his job as a doctor, even if the world's gone to shit. He was glad for the patch job though, as he slid himself over to the... he dared to call it a girl, wondering what was going on with her. Before he could say anything, he heard a groan of pain from Cyrus's direction. He seemed to have been shocked, albeit lightly. "Alright, note to self, don't get near her," he whispered under his breath. Cyrus seemed alright, so he focused his attention elsewhere. On the dog person. "Hey there. My name's Dustin. I... don't supposed you can speak English, can you? I'd ask if you're alright, but your... crying makes me think otherwise."

Edited by seph1212