Books!

Maji

• 2 weeks later...

The Queen of Attolia by Megan Walen Turner, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, Invisible Man by Ralph Elison, The Odyssey by Homer and Basic Writings of Nietzsche by Friedrich Nietzsche. I don't get much time to read these days, so I have a bit of a backlog. Also Les Miserables in French for school.

i might start to read the Thomas Covenant novels. ive heard they're pretty good. has anyone else read them?

I really like them, and Bal also gave them thumbs up.

Certain aspects of the writing come across rather hokey, IMO, but I still think it's one of the best fantasy series.

People read some very interesting stuff on this site, exactly what I imagined high class SF to read in their spare times!

As for me, I JUST (like within the hour) finished Romance of the Three Kingdoms and I loved it through and through, never did I think in my past of conquering such a monstrous book of 1,000 characters, but it was surprisingly easy if the book is that good. Now to finish Destiny of an Emperor for the NES now that I my spoilerphobia is dispersed, and maybe onto the Dynasty Warrior series.

Now, I am torn between reading four books: Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene, The Arabian Nights, Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, or be a good boy and read Montesquieu's Persian Letters, which I have to read for one of my classes this coming semester. The first two are absolutely monstrous, the second one can probably be read swiftly, and the final one I have to read at some point in the following months. Suggestions?

I also want to check out the other three significant Chinese classical novels, and attempt to read Genji, another Jupiter sized book in the solar system of literature.

Now, I am torn between reading four books: Edmund Spenser's Faerie Queene, The Arabian Nights, Geoffrey Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, or be a good boy and read Montesquieu's Persian Letters, which I have to read for one of my classes this coming semester. The first two are absolutely monstrous, the second one can probably be read swiftly, and the final one I have to read at some point in the following months. Suggestions?

I've only read some of the extant books of The Faerie Queene...personally, I would recommend that or The Arabian Nights over The Canterbury Tales, but it's just me. I have read good things by Montesquieu but I don't remember what they were, but since that's required, I suppose the question is moot. Of the books I've read, (FQ) I liked book 5 the best (also read 1 and 3). As for Arabian Nights, I don't even remember what version I read nor do I know what the various versions are like, but I kinda suspect most of them will be pretty good...?

People read some very interesting stuff on this site, exactly what I imagined high class SF to read in their spare times!

As for me, I JUST (like within the hour) finished Romance of the Three Kingdoms and I loved it through and through, never did I think in my past of conquering such a monstrous book of 1,000 characters, but it was surprisingly easy if the book is that good. Now to finish Destiny of an Emperor for the NES now that I my spoilerphobia is dispersed, and maybe onto the Dynasty Warrior series.

I also want to check out the other three significant Chinese classical novels, and attempt to read Genji, another Jupiter sized book in the solar system of literature.

Tales of Genji is a good read, I'd recommend it.

I would be careful about stating that there are only three significant classical novels from China besides Three Kingdoms...I'd even be careful about assuming that the "4 Classical Novels" are the best of the best before reading some other noteworthy ones (and personally, I haven't even read Journey to the West).

Edited by L1049

I would be careful about stating that there are only three significant classical novels from China besides Three Kingdoms...I'd even be careful about assuming that the "4 Classical Novels" are the best of the best before reading some other noteworthy ones (and personally, I haven't even read Journey to the West).

I know that there are probably better books out there, but I DO wish to read them anyway, seeing as a lot of things are based off them. Perhaps if I finish, I'll read some of the Chinese poetry and see for myself, but seeing as my library likes to showcase those four books the most by having like a billion copies of them, I naturally go with the more familiar first. Of course, I don't really know eastern literature that well, if any, so those four books are really the only books I've heard about.

I know that there are probably better books out there, but I DO wish to read them anyway, seeing as a lot of things are based off them. Perhaps if I finish, I'll read some of the Chinese poetry and see for myself, but seeing as my library likes to showcase those four books the most by having like a billion copies of them, I naturally go with the more familiar first. Of course, I don't really know eastern literature that well, if any, so those four books are really the only books I've heard about.

Heh, I don't know a whole lot about it either, I'm just saying that I know there are other classical chinese works that seem to be considered pretty good.

Also, even within the "4 classic works," there's actually a 5th one (Golden Lotus) that used to be "placed" where Red Chamber is now. I haven't read it, but it is based loosely off of one of the more entertaining characters/episodes of Bandits of the Marsh (I don't think that the actual bandit who was involved w/ the episode is involved, though). "Seven Heroes and Five Gallants" also looked like it might be interesting. Don't know a lot about others.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Journey to the West is great. Well, I don't know if the English translation is any good, since so many things get lost in translation, but I haven't read that, so.

If you can read archaic-ish Chinese, definitely do it in Chinese.

Also Romance of the Three Kingdoms is my personal favourite. I read it like, 8 times. Can someone recommend a good English version (like, name of translator or something)? I always wanted to read it in translation.

Edited by Zhuge Liang

My favorite books are, in no particular order: The Count of Monte Cristo, The Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, A Tale of Two Cities, and Animal Farm.

If you couldn't tell from the list, Alexander Dumas is my favorite author. Another series of books I like is Brian Jacques' Castaways of the Flying Dutchman.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms sounds pretty interesting, I should check that out.

Some of my favorite books include A Clockwork Orange, The Great Gatsby, Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm and Tom Sawyer. I recently got into Devils, which is a Dostoevsky novel and I'm reading Dante's Inferno, which is pretty interesting overall.

Edited by Tyrant Sage

• 1 month later...

I know this is a fairly long necropost, but it seemed asinine for me to make another topic when there's one for it halfway down the page. Anyways:

I read Jon Ambercrombie's "The First Law" series, and I was thoroughly unimpressed. It left me feeling like maybe I'd started to grow out of fantasy, or perhaps that I had been spoiled by Robert Jordan and the like. But then I started reading Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles, and boy oh boy, am I having a blast. I finished the first, "The Name of the Wind," and I have to say I haven't read a better fantasy novel in several years. The magic system in it might actually be the best I've seen, even better than WoT's in-depth system. The book is written so in-depth from a first-person perspective, and gives great detail while not trailing off into unnecessary droning of unimportant information. It has a slow start before the story truly begins, but when it does it's one of the best page-turners I've ever read. I highly recommend anyone with the slightest interest in fantasy go and pick this one up, it's definitely worth it.

Lol

Also Romance of the Three Kingdoms is my personal favourite. I read it like, 8 times. Can someone recommend a good English version (like, name of translator or something)? I always wanted to read it in translation.

I...can't, in terms of a good (vs bad) translation. I only read the Moss Roberts version, I think, and an abridged which I no longer have and don't know the trans (actually, I don't have the moss roberts in full either ;( ). I also love 3 Kingdoms though, noshit. For me, nonabridged = good and abridged = bad for something good, and probably for something bad as well.

I believe Mouse Robertsfuck CH Brewitt Taylor's translation is available free and online. You - not just Thor, but anybody - may be aware of it, because this is "the site" I used as an online consultation for the english version, being as it was one of the first google results I got a long time ago. I think of it as the head honcho of google results, honor and bravery for all under amazon.com .

The former link is to the main page, which contains some thoughts about what to look for in a purchase. The latter is straight to what I know of as the beginning of the book - the iteration of the unite/collapse thing.

http://threekingdoms.com/

http://threekingdoms.com/001.htm

I really have no idea what would be good between the Moss and the Brewitt, because I mostly used the Brewitt for the footnotes (which are apparently by people involved with the site), later, post-read, when recollecting.

I'm reading Dante's Inferno, which is pretty interesting overall.

Duuuude...so good.

I developed my theory of heaven and hell from that book, (not really literally), but Broges saved me from it farther on down the line, I think.

Otherwise, thanks for your mentions and opinions folks.

Another series of books I like is Brian Jacques' Castaways of the Flying Dutchman.

That one was pretty cool. I'm not sure if I ever finished it, but I loved the Ned/Den thing. I mean, dog. Who can talk. Wowww. Jacques never did that in the Redwall series AFAIK.

Edited by Mouse

• 2 weeks later...

Oh a book thread. Never saw this before.

Right now, I'm reading a book called "The Palace Job" by Patrick Weekes.

It's basically a heist story with a fantasy twist. It's funny, has action, and interesting characters. Some people say the ebook version has horrible formatting, but I'm almost halfway through on my Kindle and have seen no problems, and it sounds like those who have problems have been trying to convert to other formats(like PDF and TXT.)