Worried about the Elite Four (Ruby)

CrashGordon94

Well, just about to go into Victory Road and I'm a bit concerned about my team, here they are (excluding HM Slaves):

Level 43 Blaziken, Double Kick/Brick Break/Blaze Kick/Cut

Level 33 Gyarados, Surf/Earthquake/Hyper Beam/Blizzard

Level 32 Swellow, Aerial Axe/Fly/Hyper Beam/Quick Attack

Level 38 Shiftry, Dig/Hidden Power/Hyper Beam/Flash

Level 45 Groudon, Slash/Bulk Up/Earthquake/Fire Blast

Any advice?

Hmm...I suggest before you go through it, battle the wild Pokemon inside to train your Gyarados and Shiftry. Blaziken and Groudon should be fine, and the Pokemon in Victory Road don't agree with Swellow. I suggest either battling the wild Pokemon on the water for it or giving it the EXP share.

Give Groudon the rest of your Rare Candies and have him solo the whole thing. Replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower. Give Shiftry Shadow Ball if you do want to use him, but the rest of your party is too underlevelled, so you must've mismanaged the exp distribution somehow. How did you beat Wallace, by EQing everything with Groudon?

Blaziken and Groudon should train a bit more if you want to them to help handle Steven, Gyarados also helps KOing Armaldo and Aggron if needed.

The only Elites I'm not sure you can beat easily would be Drake and Glacia. Sydney will bow down against Groudon and Blaziken.

Yeah, pretty much what they said. Train up your pokemon (except for maybe Swellow) until they are around, oh, high 40s. Replace Blaziken's Cut with something like Aerial Ace. Gyarados looks alright in the move area, maybe replace something for Dragon Dance if you get it to level 50. Maybe give Swellow Steel Wing. Get rid of Shiftry's Flash for something like Shadow Ball or Giga Drain, and what is Shiftry's Hidden Power type? Groudon looks good, maybe replace Slash for something like Iron Tail or Dragon Claw, though Slash could work on its own. Also, maybe just grab a Victory Road pokemon like Hariyama, Lairon (will evolve at level 42), Medicham, or Loudred (will evolve after one level) as an extra helper, because they are in their 40s/really late 30s. I'm would assume you know the who the E4 are, but just in case, they are going under spoiler tags. You have a good fighting type for the first guy,

Sydney, the dark E4 member

you can easily add a Shadow Ball/a dark type move for the next chick,

Phoebe, the ghost E4 member

you have both fire and fighting for the third chick,

Glacia, the ice E4 member

you can use Blizzard/another ice move/a dragon move for the fourth dude,

Drake, the dragon E4 member

and you have fire, ground, water, and fighting for the champion.

Steven, the Steel, Rock, and partially Ground champion of the E4

Edited by Konnor97

Level that Gyarados and Swellow before anything else. Groundon and Blaziken should be fine, and shiftry could benefit from a couple levels.

Drake is gonna be hard. Maybe train up Groundon even more, and pushing through Steven should be okay. Get all pokemon at least level 45 though.

If it's one thing I've ever done ever since my first game of Pokemon back in Red, it's keep all my Pokemon's levels fairly equal. The gap would never become larger than 3 levels.

As for this, I can't say much more than what other people have said. A Gyarados with a couple of Dragon Dances has the capacity to ravage through many Pokemon quite effortlessly, so maybe you should look into raising him up to Lv50.

• 4 weeks later...

Hmm...I suggest before you go through it, battle the wild Pokemon inside to train your Gyarados and Shiftry. Blaziken and Groudon should be fine, and the Pokemon in Victory Road don't agree with Swellow. I suggest either battling the wild Pokemon on the water for it or giving it the EXP share.

Will do, will it take long?

Give Groudon the rest of your Rare Candies and have him solo the whole thing. Replace Fire Blast with Flamethrower. Give Shiftry Shadow Ball if you do want to use him, but the rest of your party is too underlevelled, so you must've mismanaged the exp distribution somehow. How did you beat Wallace, by EQing everything with Groudon?

I have no Rare Candies! D:

And yeah, Earthquake and Hyper Beam.

Blaziken and Groudon should train a bit more if you want to them to help handle Steven, Gyarados also helps KOing Armaldo and Aggron if needed.

The only Elites I'm not sure you can beat easily would be Drake and Glacia. Sydney will bow down against Groudon and Blaziken.

Fair enough, I guess.

Yeah, pretty much what they said. Train up your pokemon (except for maybe Swellow) until they are around, oh, high 40s. Replace Blaziken's Cut with something like Aerial Ace. Gyarados looks alright in the move area, maybe replace something for Dragon Dance if you get it to level 50. Maybe give Swellow Steel Wing. Get rid of Shiftry's Flash for something like Shadow Ball or Giga Drain, and what is Shiftry's Hidden Power type? Groudon looks good, maybe replace Slash for something like Iron Tail or Dragon Claw, though Slash could work on its own. Also, maybe just grab a Victory Road pokemon like Hariyama, Lairon (will evolve at level 42), Medicham, or Loudred (will evolve after one level) as an extra helper, because they are in their 40s/really late 30s. I'm would assume you know the who the E4 are, but just in case, they are going under spoiler tags. You have a good fighting type for the first guy,

Sydney, the dark E4 member

you can easily add a Shadow Ball/a dark type move for the next chick,

Phoebe, the ghost E4 member

you have both fire and fighting for the third chick,

Glacia, the ice E4 member

you can use Blizzard/another ice move/a dragon move for the fourth dude,

Drake, the dragon E4 member

and you have fire, ground, water, and fighting for the champion.

Steven, the Steel, Rock, and partially Ground champion of the E4

All sounds fair, just one thing:

My Swellow HAD Steel Wing and I got rid of it. D:

^ Medicham with a few levels on it can solo the dark and ice people, at least that was what I did in my first playthrough.

Really? Cool, maybe I'll consider that.

Level that Gyarados and Swellow before anything else. Groundon and Blaziken should be fine, and shiftry could benefit from a couple levels.

Drake is gonna be hard. Maybe train up Groundon even more, and pushing through Steven should be okay. Get all pokemon at least level 45 though.

Fair enough, I guess.

My gosh the uneven levels hurt my eyes. Eh, different playstyles.

Get them all to level 50.

If it's one thing I've ever done ever since my first game of Pokemon back in Red, it's keep all my Pokemon's levels fairly equal. The gap would never become larger than 3 levels.

As for this, I can't say much more than what other people have said. A Gyarados with a couple of Dragon Dances has the capacity to ravage through many Pokemon quite effortlessly, so maybe you should look into raising him up to Lv50.

I'll take these together, I TRIED to distribute EXP better, my original PT was practically a Blaziken solo (I didn't even have Groudon!)! The E4 was a pain at that point, obviously.

Well, I would have recommended Zangoose if this were mid-game, but just lvl your mons to 45 and remove all non-Surf HMs

Even Fly? Fly seems pretty good.

I'd replace cut on Blaziken with something else, since it's not that strong. If you want a good normal move, I'd replace it with strength/return.

Sure thing then.

For all the Move-related ones I passed over, I didn't ignore them, I just have the same question in response to all of them: How do I get that particular Move? I guess I know how to get Flamethrower for Blaziken and Groudon, but I suck at the Game Corner (So I guess tips there would rock too) but the rest I'm left clueless on how to obtain them.

And what HMs do I need to get through Victory Road?