anyone eles dissapointed with the sages in this game?

sages are usually my favorite class, as im partial to magic units i almost always like the design and utility of them, yea even radiant dawn mages. but i was really unsatisfied with them in this game, they look and play alot more like bishops in this game. i dunno i think they should have kept bishops and not mixed it with the sage class, its not like having another class of magic user woulda been too much i mean look at games like 4 and 5. they had lots of different magic classes, priest, wind/thunder/fire mages, shamans, sisters ext. anyone eles feel this way?

as a side note im not huge on the design of the mages, but the only ones i really dont like are miriel and ritch cuz of the big stupid hats

Edited by Dark Nocturne

I'd say Grandmasters, Dark Knights and Sorcerors(even excluding Nosferatu) are the real combat based magic users of this game, since for once they have a moderately high defense stat which is key in Fire Emblem games to being a combat unit.

It makes sense that Sages have more of a support role in this game since they are one of the only classes(along with Valkyries) that both has Tomes and Staves.

Edited by arvilino

I'm not disappointed with sages because the change seal and branching promotions allow for a class change to a more power oriented magic class. Then again, sages aren't forced to either support or combat, you can choose which one to make them specialize in.

It depends. Low weapon ranks can be tricky to raise, so Sages that promote from Mage will keep a strong preference for magic and play more like regular Sages, while Sages that promote from Priest/Cleric will keep a strong preference for staffs and play more like Bishops. Their frailty is definitely an issue, but I think that's more a matter of balance: having the ability to frontline with strong 1-2 range and support with staffs would have been excessive, especially since staffs can be so potent in this game with buying powerful staffs like Rescue and Physic as much as you want.

I can definitely say I've never had a problem with a Sage lacking levels. They also have very high Mag/Skl/Spd growths, which is good for units and it makes them pretty powerful on the offensive- they have higher magic/skl/spd caps than Sorcerers (which is good for them, especially the skill, because a Sorcerer has hit issues with dark magic sometimes). I would honestly much rather use a Sage than a Grandmaster, but I do agree they could be better. Tome Expert is good for staff range, btw.

yea, i know alot of other classes are 'supposed' to be more combat oriented, but honestly my fave mage looks were the female mage from gaiden and the wind/thunder/fire mages from thracia 776. if all mages had a similer look to emilinas (probly slightly different for boys tho) id be more happy. they dont look... idk flashy like most promoted classes look

As far as the appearance go, I'm satisfied with the sages. At least they don't look like dark mages, who look rather revealing and some people I know are complaining about that part.

This game seems to base the design of some characters on stereotypical RPG characters. Mages wear hats, sorcerors wear some sort of ritualistic outfits and so on. It's rather unlike FE, I'd say.

Edited by nocturnal YL

I'm not particularly against the hats, though it seems kind of silly to have them, when hats were so rarely used by any of the mage classes in previous games.

Guess it would be annoying to have wind magic, and accidentally blow your hat off lol

as for their role, you can blame that on the cutting of light magic from the game. There are a few things that are nice touches to the game, like the plethora of hybrid classes, but they also skimped out on a few that are sorely missed. No Soldiers to fill that spear mastery niche (instead the Falcon Knights use them, despite having access to staves. I know it's not a big deal overall, but it's just a pet peeve to have the two single-weapon non-mounted units have no spear equivalent), and no Light tomes means no need for Bishops.

While a promoted Cleric to Sage is going to generally be better at healing and support, they're not specialized for it, like the Bishop was, so it's just more about how you raise them.

Edited by StrategistPockystix

are you referring to a Cleric-Sage or a Mage-Sage

because it would be rather funny to train up a mage for 10 levels or so and their staff levels are STILL higher than your tome one lol

Well, remember that you start with an E rank in any new weapon you get, so unless you somehow promote your sage from a base weapon rank mage/cleric, one will always be higher than the other.