NFL 2012-2013 Season

Anacybele

True, but everyone makes mistakes, so people aren't going to get as angry at the normal refs whenever they mess up. What happened to the normal refs anyway? Did they all retire or something?

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 795
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Browns honestly didn't look too bad tonight. Their secondary is pretty good and they covered Baltimore's receivers well all night (well apart from that Torrey Smith td). Their pass rush needs work though; they gave Flacco too much time to find an open guy. As for their offense, Weeden looked a lot better, but he needs some better receivers if Cleveland is gonna go anywhere. Six drops is unacceptable. On the brightside though, Weeden did a good job of not getting sacked every down since the Browns OLine is so atrocious he got hammered on every pass play. TRich looked good again as well, but again, that OLine is not doing them any favors.

On the flipside, Baltimore's defense again looked great. They rushed the QB well, and though they didn't sack Weeden very much, they still put a lot of pressure on him and knocked him down/hurried him out of the pocket. On offense, IMO they're not using Rice enough. He's a top 3 RB in the league, they need to use him more often! They're trying to become too pass heavy, and I get that Flacco is a good QB but they have a GREAT RB. They're managing to get some wins, but they're not blowing teams out anymore like they did week one so they're gonna have to change some things up if they want to continue their success.

Because the Arizona defense is actually pretty good (I'd say top 5), not middle of the pack. They've only allowed more than 20 points twice in their past 12 games, dating back to last year. People often make the mistake of looking at offenses/defenses in terms of yards while points is probably the more important statistic.

Wrong.

The stats that you want when looking at defense are ratio of caught balls vs. thrown balls (looking for as many broken up plays as possible), yards after catch/from scrimmage and dropbacks vs. how much pressure the defense puts on the QB (looking for hurries, knockdowns and obviously sacks).

The idea with defense is you want to see how disruptive they can be. The above three stats show that factor more than anything. But with points vs. yards, yards after catch/from scrimmage trumps points. Every time.

On the flipside, Baltimore's defense again looked great. They rushed the QB well, and though they didn't sack Weeden very much, they still put a lot of pressure on him and knocked him down/hurried him out of the pocket. On offense, IMO they're not using Rice enough. He's a top 3 RB in the league, they need to use him more often! They're trying to become too pass heavy, and I get that Flacco is a good QB but they have a GREAT RB. They're managing to get some wins, but they're not blowing teams out anymore like they did week one so they're gonna have to change some things up if they want to continue their success.

Sounds like the Ravens are trying to copy the Steelers, which are a pass-heavy team (thanks to big guns like Wallace, Miller, and Brown), especially since they don't have Mendenhall right now. Sad, because they'll never match up to great receivers like Brown and Wallace. They say no receiver is faster than Mike Wallace. He's the speediest. They should call him the Speed Demon. That guy is all about speed. And he can catch Big Ben's long passes any day.

And I say the Steelers because they're in the same division as the Ravens and the two teams are big rivals. It makes sense for the Ravens to want to copy their pass play skills. They'll just never succeed at it.

Edited by Anacybele

Wrong.

The stats that you want when looking at defense are ratio of caught balls vs. thrown balls (looking for as many broken up plays as possible), yards after catch/from scrimmage and dropbacks vs. how much pressure the defense puts on the QB (looking for hurries, knockdowns and obviously sacks).

The idea with defense is you want to see how disruptive they can be. The above three stats show that factor more than anything. But with points vs. yards, yards after catch/from scrimmage trumps points. Every time.

Gotta agree with this. You could probably add 3rd down conversion percentage to this too. Is the defense stopping the opponent's offense when it matters most? Arizona comes in allowing a measly 33% of third downs converted; top 10 in the NFL. Their offense might be shitty, but if you're only allowing 13 points a game I guess that doesn't really matter.

Sounds like the Ravens are trying to copy the Steelers, which are a pass-heavy team (thanks to big guns like Wallace, Miller, and Brown), especially since they don't have Mendenhall right now. Sad, because they'll never match up to great receivers like Brown and Wallace. They say no receiver is faster than Mike Wallace. He's the speediest. They should call him the Speed Demon. That guy is all about speed. And he can catch Big Ben's long passes any day.

And I say the Steelers because they're in the same division as the Ravens and the two teams are big rivals. It makes sense for the Ravens to want to copy their pass play skills. They'll just never succeed at it.

Well pretty much the entire NFL has switched to pass heavy offenses with the rules changing to protect receivers and QBs more than they used to, so I hate to burst your bubble lol. Wallace is fast as hell, and off the top of my head the only guy that I can think of that is faster at wideout would be the other Pennsylvania speedster, Desean Jackson. Devin Hester's seems to have slowed down but he used to be up there too. Lord Raven will probably try and argue that Torrey Smith is faster too lol.

Gotta agree with this. You could probably add 3rd down conversion percentage to this too. Is the defense stopping the opponent's offense when it matters most? Arizona comes in allowing a measly 33% of third downs converted; top 10 in the NFL. Their offense might be shitty, but if you're only allowing 13 points a game I guess that doesn't really matter.

Well pretty much the entire NFL has switched to pass heavy offenses with the rules changing to protect receivers and QBs more than they used to, so I hate to burst your bubble lol. Wallace is fast as hell, and off the top of my head the only guy that I can think of that is faster at wideout would be the other Pennsylvania speedster, Desean Jackson. Devin Hester's seems to have slowed down but he used to be up there too. Lord Raven will probably try and argue that Torrey Smith is faster too lol.

Travis Benjamin would like a word with you...

Wrong.

How so? Points are how teams win the game, not yards- the purpose of a defense is to limit the amount of points an opposing offense scores. If you stop a team where it matters most that means you did not allow points (or you allowed a field goal instead of a touchdown). You say 'disruption' trumps points but your entire argument begs the question.

Eh, I didn't really care too much anyway lol. And I said fastest RECEIVER, not fastest in the NFL period. I am aware that there are a couple NFL guys or so that do outspeed Wallace.

Eh, I didn't really care too much anyway lol. And I said fastest RECEIVER, not fastest in the NFL period. I am aware that there are a couple NFL guys or so that do outspeed Wallace.

Desean Jackson, Devin Hester, and Torrey Smith are all wide receivers Anacybele lol. Based on their 40 times though, according to wikipedia Wallace got a better time than Desean Jackson by 0.02 seconds. Regardless though, I think any team would love to have either receiver as their slot guy.

The Lions are giving me high blood pressure right now. Dropped passes in the end zone, no running game, and missed tackles everywhere (mostly on special teams). You seriously can't gain a yard on the ground? TWO SPECIAL TEAM TDS IN A GAME??? It's not like Devin Hester is running on you...c'mon man!

Edited by Helios

That second pass interference against the Eagles was bullshit, but the first one was pretty obvious IMO. It seemed like fate that this game came down to the wire; it seems like they always do when it's the Eagles and Giants. What do you guys think about "icing" the kicker?

The Lions are giving me high blood pressure right now. Dropped passes in the end zone, no running game, and missed tackles everywhere (mostly on special teams). You seriously can't gain a yard on the ground? TWO SPECIAL TEAM TDS IN A GAME??? It's not like Devin Hester is running on you...c'mon man!

Yeah, the Lions look pretty terrible right now for no explicable reason. I simply complained that the Saints had all the luck in the world in the Packers game.

The Eagles won by one point AGAIN? Jeepers, these guys love cutting it close, don't they? xP

On another note, Polamalu, Harrison, and Mendenhall should be coming back next Steeler game! Now the team can finally kick major ass with ALL their big guns again! :D

Edited by Anacybele

Yeah, the Lions look pretty terrible right now for no explicable reason. I simply complained that the Saints had all the luck in the world in the Packers game.

The worst part is their defense actually played WELL this game. Their special teams has been ass though. Seriously? 2 return TDs in back to back weeks? That's gotta be a record. Their offense can't seem to garner any momentum either. The offensive line was complete shit. The Vikings were destroying them in the running game with the standard 7 men in the box. NO BLITZING NO ANYTHING. Just the regular old front 7. And then in the passing game, they created a pass rush with FOUR GUYS. THAT'S IT. Six guys blocking, and four DLineman could rush the QB and create hurried throws. Embarrassing. Horrible line play won't allow your offense to gain any momentum, which is why such a powerful offense like the Lions could only muster 13 measly points.

@Anacybele: Well they won by two, but yeah it was pretty close. They hit the go ahead field goal with two minutes left in the game.

Heard the Jets fans were screaming for Tebow to get in the game. Will he start not this week, but the next week (since I highly doubt Sanchez will be successful against the Texans)?

Well, my point still stands. The Eagles love close games, lol.

And I will admit Tebow seems to be better than Sanchez. But I hate the Jets, so I don't give a damn what they do with their players, lol.

...Holy crap, I don't believe who the Steelers are playing next. The Eagles. o_o ...This won't be an easy win for the Steelers to get, considering the way Philly's been playing lately. But they need to win if they want to keep up with those god damn Ravens.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, my point still stands. The Eagles love close games, lol.

And I will admit Tebow seems to be better than Sanchez. But I hate the Jets, so I don't give a damn what they do with their players, lol.

...Holy crap, I don't believe who the Steelers are playing next. The Eagles. o_o ...This won't be an easy win for the Steelers to get, considering the way Philly's been playing lately. But they need to win if they want to keep up with those god damn Ravens.

What? I expect the Eagles to get run over by the Steelers next week, especially if the Steelers' defense is healthy.

What? I expect the Eagles to get run over by the Steelers next week, especially if the Steelers' defense is healthy.

The Eagles have been winning lately though. The Steelers only have one win so far. I just hope whoever's been getting the team all these penalties starts minding their Ps and Qs.

I'm hoping Rashard Mendenhall has a nice comeback game, or a teaser at the very least. I picked him up from waivers and I know he can deliver solid FF points. Dwyer and Redman have been garbage thus far so the backfield is RM's for the taking.

The Lions need to pull their heads out of their asses and start playing 100% for an entire game. They have yet to perform at an average rate.

Anacybele, if you didn't understand the Romo turnover joke, you should have seen this game. He threw FIVE INTERCEPTIONS (some weren't his fault, some hilariously were). Bears cruised to an easy victory. Dallas looks all around horrible right now. Maybe they need Tebow.