Anrimited Bureyd Waksu

The Joker

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Awww I liked the bright red paired with the cyan. :(

For the FC guy, the inside black outline on the armor could be replaced with various darker shades of brown (ease transition, the armor color itself seems fine). The use of light blue on the armor borders pillowshading; there are spots you could probably replace the light for darker blues, not sure if you want to play with it or have a reference edit. Still, great progress so far.

[Edit: Rearranged the palette reference

6sM2cPalette.png Lots of shades available.

]

Last lady looks fine~ (except for a little spot on the left eyelash)

Edited by Lenh

bad shading right here XD

also, improve the shading on the hair!

and maybe Reference other fe mugs... ò,ò

uhhh... could you explain further? cause I'm a bit clueless about what to do when I don't understand whats wrong... ^^;

q_q the hair shading is giving me a hard time actually.

The armor looks waay to light compared to the outline color. Use a darker color or more anti aliasing.

but it's supposed to be white q_q I'll see what I can do.

Awww I liked the bright red paired with the cyan. :(

For the FC guy, the inside black outline on the armor could be replaced with various darker shades of brown (ease transition, the armor color itself seems fine). The use of light blue on the armor borders pillowshading; there are spots you could probably replace the light for darker blues, not sure if you want to play with it or have a reference edit. Still, great progress so far.

[Edit: Rearranged the palette reference

Lots of shades available.

]

Last lady looks fine~ (except for a little spot on the left eyelash)

Red it is then... Would using the darkest skin color be fine with that? and I dont have luck with references because of the pose. So far, the closest portrait with the same pose would be Zephiel which is why I'm having a tough time with this. Thanks for pointing that spot out.

Edited by ninjamoeba

Yup, use skin tones for the gold trim. (Note you have 5 shades + black for skin.)

I'd try using an angle-matched Zealot/Wolt(for white armor)/OldMarcus(for the pauldron flare) to get the armor depth down, then worry about changing the light source direction later (as depth won't change). Think the only shading you can pull from Zeph is the breastplate b/c of the shiny finish on his armor.

Red it is then... Would using the darkest skin color be fine with that? and I dont have luck with references because of the pose. So far, the closest portrait with the same pose would be Zephiel which is why I'm having a tough time with this. Thanks for pointing that spot out.

Try Uther?

Yup, use skin tones for the gold trim. (Note you have 5 shades + black for skin.)

I'd try using an angle-matched Zealot/Wolt(for white armor)/OldMarcus(for the pauldron flare) to get the armor depth down, then worry about changing the light source direction later (as depth won't change). Think the only shading you can pull from Zeph is the breastplate b/c of the shiny finish on his armor.

Those tips will be great help. Thanks! ^^

Try Uther?

Le gasp!! How did I forget about him? Goddamnitbatman D:

Thanks for that. :))

• 2 weeks later...

bump for update. haven't touched my spriting things in a while cause of finals week.

well, this is where I'm at with my first full-custom. I just made a few more changes

to cater the tips I was given. I was only able to work with this for a short while cause

I had to study for finals. Shading-wise, the hair is still giving me problems. I'll fix the armor

shading in a while after I finish with all of my exams.

PA58r.png

The next one was something I played with during my short breaks in between studying.

Is it wrong just using two sprites? I'm kinda happy with how it looks like design-wise.

VGgmR.png

Verdant, Vermillion's younger brother. I might change the hair in the future though.

Is there anything wrong with the proportion?

also I used Louise's frames to finish my OC.

6yPHj.png

of course I'm still open for critics and opinions. I'm a very open-minded person. ;)

Edited by ninjamoeba

• 2 weeks later...

just some recent changes and updates. :/

still not done with the FC

lnTBz.png tried fixing the hair though and made some changes.

to have a breather from my first full custom, I started making another. :/

It's way far from being finished but heck,

Jfi5R.png I'm trying to make Julian for Arch's new hack. referenced Colm for the pose.

and some random splice work. xD

eskf5.png

a different question, does anyone know who made that DLC Ephraim mug? I'd

like to ask for permission to use it in a splice. :)

He's currently Harbinger, but also went by The Illusive Man for a while.

Your FC guy is missing a skintone. Like, there should be 5, but for some reason he has four. It's still 15 colours so I'm wondering why you chose not to use it? It's making your mug look weird in all sort of ways. His left shoulder armor has some pretty poor shading. Reference the GBAFE fighters to see how they shade singlet-style clothes. You're also mixing FE7 colours and FE8 colours, which is, for the most part a big spriting no-no. I spot Tana's blue with some FE8 skintone (which is missing the 5th shade) along with Karel's hair colour. Pick which one you want: FE7 or FE8. For reference:

lolskintone.png

His headband is completely the wrong shape. Think about the angle that his head is actually on. If you were to fit a cylinder around his head, it would look something like this:

asdfasdfgsrth.png

whereas you've drawn it being completely flat across. It also shouldn't disappear behind his hair completely; if you look at characters like Sue, Hugh and Wade you'll see that their hair doesn't cover their headband completely.

While we're on his facial features, the placing of just about everything doesn't seem to add up. Here's a picture:

headoutline.png

Erk is on a similar head angle to what you're aiming for; see how if you actually trace Erk's outline you can see that everything adds up: his nose is in line with the middle of his hair part; putting a line through his nose, eyes and ears make a nice, circular shape (on the horizontal axis, of course). Now look at yours; see how if I try to do the same thing I have to make the line go back and forth? How the line drawn across his eyes doesn't make that same roundish shape? Everything is out of whack (and it doesn't help that you've chosen a very difficult body angle to work with). Since you're fairly new to FCing, I would definitely suggest tracing the outlines of characters on similar body angles just to reference where the general positioning is.

Anyway, have fun :lol:

Edited by Agro

those are very sound advises that I really appreciate.

I did trace this off a scan of a drawing I made with paper,pencil and pens. Kinda hard for me to pull off with a mouse.

I probably missed the fact about the 5th skin shade and forgot about it completely. my bad. I'll try fixing the colors

again. As for the shading... well, not really my strong suit but I'll try to make things look better.

So with the facial features, should I just move the eyes for better alignment or...?

I really appreciate the help.

• 1 month later...

I've been gone for a long while and all I'm posting are more WIPs and more reworks. @.@

rOqAl.png for a more FE7-friendly color pallette?

GnUnZ.pngmost probably the last version of my FC.

OGjhv.png have always been a big Saber fan from fate-stay night.

YESSSSABEEEERRR

you have to shade your hair better! °w°

use more 2nd shade and less 3rd shade, I guess

hmmm... I'll see what I can do. I'll work on it with what time I can get.

• 4 weeks later...

ZHv2I.png

changed some things that were bothering me like the left eye and hair.

I tried using less 3rd shade and more 2nd like what Ponih said. still not done

with the ponytail. :P I also made the face 'rounder'.

Still probably a lot of mess-ups. It'll be a big help if they can be pointed out.

didn't expect to have problems making ribbons. o_o

Hmm. I think you need to change it, if I look at it too long it starts looking off, but if I glance at it it seems alright.

And a better term would be bug-eyed, kinda looks like her eyes are looking off in opposite directions to me. I just think you need to change the Left (OPV) eye.

She may not actually be bug-eyed, but there is still something off about it.

Edited by L95

hPjTm.png

i don't know if changing a pixel or two actually helped. More shading on it now.

[spoiler=oh, and more WIP]

KF8Zo.png

Achaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

clothes are still flat and I think I'm done with the hair. Head shading is kinda bothering me

but I can't pick out exactly where asides the ear. xD

like always, structural and constructive crits and comments are appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Eyes are seeming far apart, I think, though it seems like there are a few ways you could fix the eyes being derpy depending on what you want--changing the chin/face angle or changing the eyes themselves as RisingSolaris kind of touched on. The eyes are also sort of big by FE standards? IDK I'm generally partial to smaller eyes so that could just be bias talking.

And don't feel the need to connect every line in the strands of his hair, it can look a bit more graceful when there are some breaks in the lines. Right now it's very harsh and piece-y

Anyway though this sprite is lookin' nice, are you referencing something? I ask because my boyfriend and I were perusing my TO art book the other day and noticed that you referenced Denam :V