Which of these units have no practical use?

Im so used to units like Ross, Ewan, Amelie, and Joshua but I am also seeing them make the lowest marks on alot of peoples tiers. I guess what I am asking is who should i nnot waste my time on for the MAIN GAME.... I plan on doing CC and getting everyone to 20/20 and im on chapter 6 now. I just promoted Ross into a pirate because I have never gone the berserker route for him.

Yes I will be using the Tower/Ruins as well, this is mainly being played again as a time killer, so doing a couple of random battles isnt going to bother me, and I have never truly cleared or started Creature Campaign

Joshua is plenty useful, and Ross is redeemable. Wait for CC to do anything with Amelia or Ewan (especially Amelia). You put in a ton of effort into those 2 and don't get anything overly spectacular in comparison to what you already have. At least Ross can make a good berserker without extreme amounts of effort.

The tier lists assume that you are only completing the main game in an efficient manner, so if you're training for creature campaign or simply don't care about taking longer than normal on some chapters, it doesn't really make sense to follow the tier list.

That said, Joshua is still usable in that context.

I think what im really saying is who is best to NOT focus on at all during story mode, as i will have plenty of time to use them after the fact.

I want strict story units and the rest my Valni/Ruins leftovers.

As i will use ONLY the story units in story missions

And

I will use everyone else ONLY in the ruins/tower/map battles DURING the story

Then

I will combine forces for the first time ONLY when the story is COMPLETE

Pardon me for being/sounding prehistoric... im posting from my phone in a hospital XP

Im so used to units like Ross, Ewan, Amelie, and Joshua but I am also seeing them make the lowest marks on alot of peoples tiers. I guess what I am asking is who should i nnot waste my time on for the MAIN GAME.... I plan on doing CC and getting everyone to 20/20 and im on chapter 6 now. I just promoted Ross into a pirate because I have never gone the berserker route for him.

Yes I will be using the Tower/Ruins as well, this is mainly being played again as a time killer, so doing a couple of random battles isnt going to bother me, and I have never truly cleared or started Creature Campaign

I ALWAYS use Ross as a Berserker and a lot of people will probably disagree with me here but I think he is one of my favourite units on the SS easily getting in my Top 5. Ewan can be pretty useful or you can use knoll niether of them are bad units. Amelia seems pretty close to useless for me because she starts at such a low level and doesn't really bring anything to the team that I don't already have as I am not a big fan of generals and Paladins/Great knights come in plenty.

Joshua is useful whether you choose to make him an assassin or a Swordsmaster, I usually have him go to the Assassin route and have Marisa become a swordsmaster.

Joshua is great, Ewan and Amelia are awful. I personally really like Ross, but he's not very efficient, which is what the tiers are based on. If you're just going through the main game quickly, I recommend you use any collection of the following: Eph/Eir, Joshua, Ross, Vanessa, Moulder, Franz, Seth, Joshua, Cormag, Duessel, Artur, Lute, Myrhh, Gerik, Innes, and Saleh. That's in no particular order. If you haven't been using Vanessa, Tana is a good replacement, but not quite as good.

As far as units to avoid, Ewan, Amelia, Knoll, and Marisa are awful. Stay far far away. I know dark magic will be tempting, but it's not worth it.

Edited by Ring Wraith

If you're really playing as fast as possible, Vanessa struggles to gain a level/stat (especially stat) lead over Tana before the jointime of the latter, and Tana's growths makes her the superior combat flight unit. Vanessa is pretty useful when saving villages and getting Eirika and Seth over the river in that one chapter, though, when Tana is unavailable.

Vanessa is terrible as a falcoknight due to her tendency to get strength screwed, but I think she does well as a wyvern knight. The defence piercing is a huge boon for her and flight is always useful, since I feel like this game has even less bow users than usual.

As far as main campaign goes, Berseker!Ross is probably your best best for him, since he can use peaks to his advantage and cut across waterways, and this game has some good opportunities in that respect. Amelia is a borderline case, and she'll have to go cavalier to ever keep up with the rest of the team. Ewan's garbage without tower training because of horrible bases that get him killed by everything, but he'll be good as whatever you promote him as. He makes for a good mage knight, the most useful promotion as far as story mode is concerned, so long as you hold off his promotion until after the desert chapter, but he'll do fine as a sage/druid/summoner. Because he always gains staff utility, I'd say Ewan is the best trainee if you do dump effort into him, but Ross is the most usable because he joins early that he isn't very much of a sandbag.

Marisa just sucks. Crappy affinity and can't do anything Joshua can't already do. I promote her into an assassin these days just so she has lockpick utility so I never had to field Rennac.

Rennac is useless for anything but thief utility, but if you're playing efficiently, then he'll be better than Colm. If you do train Colm, just blast through his fast support with Neimi since they both want the benefits of fire affinity. Don't make Colm an assassin.

Neimi is sucky as an archer and continues to suck as a sniper, but the ranger promotion does a lot for her with a big +3 con gain, swords, and a horse. Despite her extremely fast fire-light support with Colm giving her a boost, she will probably fall behind in the main campaign and then be pushed to the bench, but if you do get her to promotion, then always go for ranger.

I wouldn't bother training Knoll in an efficient playthrough. Just promote him right away into a sorcerer despite the crappy bases, and use him for staves and phantoms. The phantom utility is better than any combat Knoll will ever have, and it means he can stay safe behind everyone else and just worry about raising staff rank. If you really want him to get to 20/20, wait for the Lagdou Ruins to open up and let him steal kills there.

I don't particularly like Dolza. His strength is super high but everything else about him kinda blows.

I never liked Syrene because her bases, especially her strength base, are unimpressive. But hey, free silver lances! There's just not many instances left where flight utility is actually useful when Syrene joins, since the rest of the objectives are kill enemies/boss.

Vanessa is terrible as a falcoknight due to her tendency to get strength screwed, but I think she does well as a wyvern knight. The defence piercing is a huge boon for her and flight is always useful, since I feel like this game has even less bow users than usual.

I personally disagree because falcoknight has better promotion bonuses. While WK does give her more con, that alone isn't enough to hold up against the better all-around bonuses a falcoknight promotion gives.

Edited by Golden Cucco

I personally disagree because falcoknight has better promotion bonuses. While WK does give her more con, that alone isn't enough to hold up against the better all-around bonuses a falcoknight promotion gives.

The only differences in bonuses between the two, aside from the CON bonus differences you mentioned, is basically negligible concrete durability differences and Swords vs. Pierce. Edited by Little Al

The only differences in bonuses between the two, aside from the CON bonus differences you mentioned, is basically negligible concrete durability differences and Swords vs. Pierce.

True. Although I just like Falcoknight better for the pegasi for some reason.