FE7 Text Editing

Jamesiluce

Hi so I've been trying to edit text in my hack's prologue going on idk 8 hours now and I simply can't seem to figure it out. I'm trying to edit 0800 following Arch's tutorial but everytime I try to see if it works several things happen.

First the text changes to 0001 and thats where it stays.

Second it reverts back to the original text.

Third it shows that the text is changed in FEditor but still shows the original text.

plz help

Are you using Nightmare 1 or Nightmare 2.0 with your hack?

From my experiences, I can only get text edits to show up if I use Nightmare 2.0. The same thing might be happening to you.

That explanation makes no sense ^ unless you're expanding tables in feditor, which rarely causes an issue with nightmare 1 anyway

Anyway, you should be hitting apply after every text slot edit and then save before closing the rom/leaving the text editing section.

Edited by Kitty of Time

That explanation makes no sense ^ unless you're expanding tables in feditor, which rarely causes an issue with nightmare 1 anyway

Anyway, you should be hitting apply after every text slot edit and then save before closing the rom/leaving the text editing section.

I click apply and save every time. When I save it jumps to 0001 and places the text I made there and reverts 0800 back to normal.

I click apply and save every time. When I save it jumps to 0001 and places the text I made there and reverts 0800 back to normal.

Idk why but its working now however the portraits are still glitchy.

You never noted portraits were an issue as well...

And when you hit save, it goes to entry 0x01, apply it does not, it sounds like you were hitting save before apply.

Ya sorry I thought I listed the portraits as an issue. Now I've got the text to change and it stays at 0x0800 but the game freezes when the text is supposed to appear.

Can you post to us the text that's been inserted? Could be that you've forgotten to include a [0x01] or something in it.

[OpenMidLeft][LoadFace][0x16][0x01]

[OpenMidRight][LoadFace][0x2B][0x01]

[OpenMidLeft]

Hey Silvaan! Why don't

we call it a day?[A]

[OpenMidRight]

Fine by me. It's

getting late anyway.[A]

[OpenMidLeft]

Silvaan look! Some

people are coming

toward us.[A][X]

sometimes it's the text slot, too. I remember having issues like that quite a while ago. I forget how it got fixed though :/

If it's the text slot, then manually looking at the text table and fixing the pointer would probably be the next thing I'd try.

If it's the text slot, then manually looking at the text table and fixing the pointer would probably be the next thing I'd try.

Now I feel stupid for asking but, whats the text table and text slot? How do I look at them?

The text table is a table of offsets that tells the game where to look for each text entry. It's like the character table. Text entry 0009 means it's the 9th slot in the table, so there will be a pointer somewhere in a table that tells the game to go to an offset in the ROM containing the text. Think of it like an index at the back of a textbook.

The text slot is the 0800 thing that you keep overwriting. What Jubby suggests is that you try, say, 0815 instead.

The text table is a table of offsets that tells the game where to look for each text entry. It's like the character table. Text entry 0009 means it's the 9th slot in the table, so there will be a pointer somewhere in a table that tells the game to go to an offset in the ROM containing the text. Think of it like an index at the back of a textbook.

The text slot is the 0800 thing that you keep overwriting. What Jubby suggests is that you try, say, 0815 instead.

Ok so basically just try putting it somewhere else? Is there slots that I shouldn't change?

Ok I tried this and its still freezing.

The next thing I'd look at would be your event assembler code that uses that text.

Anything on this department?

Like, test a regular text value that you haven't changed.

If it freezes, it's your event code.

Edited by shadowofchaos

For some reason, I'm getting the same problem too.

When I was editing the text for my prologue, it would start up the chapter but then freezes after the chapter title screen disappears.

I edited 0x800 and it froze but when I put in on a different one that hasn't been changed, it works perfectly fine.

I tried to find the solution to this problem but no luck.

Pretty much the text will play with messed up portraits if I just use the text that is already in the game. If I go into FEditor and edit anything at all in the text the game freezes. Minus one time that the text changed but the portraits wer still messed up.