The Village - The Dark Staff

Robertboybobo

So uh..... Hi?

I make games using GameMaker (A program by YoYo games) So I've been developing a game with my friend, whom we will call either Osna(not her real name) So I guess I'd show my progress and tell you guys what it's all about here. THIS IS NOT AN RPG.

Characters:

Robert- A pre-teen boy. Adventurous, but can easily be scared. Sometimes shows off too much.

-Combat- Your standard overpowered main hero. Uses swords, and possess no ranged weapons at the beginning. His ranged attack is very weak, though.

Gets the Legendary sword Excalibur.

Ashley- Robert's best friend. She's somewhat tomboyish. She's also kind and quiet.

-Combat-SHE GETS A MAJOR PLOT RELATED WEAPON; She only possess magic, which is somewhat weak, but easy to control.

Kekla- The mysterious (adult) theif. Has a major plot related object. He's informative and humourous. His parents were excuted under the order of the queen.

-Combat- Fast and a litle weaker than Robert. Eventually gets a ranged weapon. He gets the legendary sword Masamune.

Lila-Her parent's were killed somehow by (PLOT RELATED SPOILER THAT I WILL NEVER TELL YOU). She's really shy and is frightened alot. She can get VERY serious when she wants to, though.

-Combat- Your best Mage. Her magic is stronger than Ashley's, but harder to control.

Aesop- An invisible alien. Claims to have been thrown off his planet by a dark creature.

-Combat- Fast. Weak. Possess a ranged attack.

Alec- A pirate who mysteriously joins you. Somehow knows Lila.

-Combat- Imagine everything Hector wants to be, but can't. VERY SENSETIVE TO MAGIC.

and..

Regilin-A native from the Kulian tribe. Responds when asked. He leaves and rejoins your group often.

-Combat- Standard bow fighter, but can set traps.

I have the game in a whole bunch of parts, but it's only half of the game. I'm currently making a new one, all of them together. Is anyone intrested at ALL? Because if so, I may post a few screenshots.

I wouldn't mind seeing some screenshots, and maybe a bit more information, as well.

Excellent.

This game revolves on its story, while you collect allies to defeat an unknown villian. This villian is turning people into monsters and ruining villages. Fourtunatley, he can only use this power if somone holds the Dark Staff. Unfourtunatley, once you hold the staff, you can't get rid of it. It will follow you....back into your area of personal space. Also unfourtunatley, Robert's best friend - Ashley- has done such. Knocked out by theifs, far away from home, they meet Kekla, who will deliver thier destiny to them......

This game is NOT a FREE EXPLORING WORLD. THIS MESSES UP THE ROOMS. You play this game in a series of chapters. You might notice Robert and Ashley have Crono's and Marle's sprites from Chrono trigger. Ignore this. I need to make them a custom sprite. Anyways..... Here's some screenshots! Note all but the second one (the warp room) is an outdated version, I need to set stuff up before I can take screenshots of the new version.

post-5916-075334400 1349830517_thumb.png

post-5916-010912900 1349830520_thumb.png

post-5916-074210100 1349830521_thumb.png

post-5916-050193300 1349830525_thumb.png

post-5916-000067400 1349830530_thumb.png

post-5916-001232300 1349830532_thumb.png

post-5916-024040400 1349830533_thumb.png

post-5916-066248600 1349830535_thumb.png

post-5916-006831800 1349830563_thumb.png

post-5916-084660800 1349830565_thumb.png

post-5916-000881300 1349830568_thumb.png

post-5916-080105300 1349830570_thumb.png

post-5916-038560700 1349830572_thumb.png

post-5916-040943900 1349830573_thumb.png

Edited by Robertboybobo

I feel like this might belong in another subforum. Dunno which though.

The troub sprite's bow (pretty sure that's what it is) that's Ashley's current promo image doesn't have a very clear bottom bit. I mean, the wooden/brown part meshes a little too much with the hand. It also doesn't seem right that a bow would be held so close to the bottom. I dunno if you're planning to use a troub as the "base" or whatever for the final promoted character.

Also, if it's not an RPG, how does it play?

The backgrounds are odd, but if that's an important element, or the limitations of the program in question, or the result of being outdatesd, or just not really that important to you, then I guess they don't matter much.

I feel like this might belong in another subforum. Dunno which though.

The troub sprite's bow (pretty sure that's what it is) that's Ashley's current promo image doesn't have a very clear bottom bit. I mean, the wooden/brown part meshes a little too much with the hand. It also doesn't seem right that a bow would be held so close to the bottom. I dunno if you're planning to use a troub as the "base" or whatever for the final promoted character.

Also, if it's not an RPG, how does it play?

The backgrounds are odd, but if that's an important element, or the limitations of the program in question, or the result of being outdatesd, or just not really that important to you, then I guess they don't matter much.

- I made the troubadour sprite at the last minute. If somone could draw me a Troubadour with a bow and a sheath (for a sword), many thanks.

-It's a "use the keyboard to move left and right and click a button to attack" game.

-Backrounds are wierd in gamemaker. They end up being in tiles, appearing over and over.

Hm. This should maybe go in Creative? Also embedding the images might be better than attaching, I dunno.

Sprites are really stylistically mismatched.

Also, re backgrounds/room size: iirc you can make a room smaller than the actual window size in Gamemaker and everything outside the room will just be black, perhaps that could help? Or am I thinking of a much older version of Gamemaker, I haven't used it in ages.

Hm. This should maybe go in Creative? Also embedding the images might be better than attaching, I dunno.

Sprites are really stylistically mismatched.

Also, re backgrounds/room size: iirc you can make a room smaller than the actual window size in Gamemaker and everything outside the room will just be black, perhaps that could help? Or am I thinking of a much older version of Gamemaker, I haven't used it in ages.

Don't know how to embed.

Err, I know. I'm not much of a sprite maker, but I'm looking for sprites final fantasy vi style but with a childish look. Unless somone makes me some sprites, though, what you see is what you get.

I could, I'll try, but... It looks wierd in the transition, but i'll still give it a go! Thanks for the feedback!

Guys, all your feedback is nessacary, so post some!

^^^^^See my troubadour request above.

Finished the outside of Robert's and Ashley's house.

Also, I have a lot of space in the warp rooms, but I dont wan't to add more warps. Could somone give me a few ideas?

Consolidate the warp room with some other stuff. Put in an NPC (if there's talking), make the room space smaller and add some detail around it, add some sort of training/equipment/shopping option, or something like that. Basically, think about what Chrono Trigger did with its warp area. If it's either a menu/debug room'ish warp room (i.e., not completely contiguous w/ the game world, 4th wall breakingg, etc) or a space distortion like the end of time, the thing Kiryn said about room shrinking might work OK here too, since being surrounded by black space makes a bit more sense.

Also, I don't really know stuff about graphics, but since you can put objects on top of the backgrounds, could you use that to make backgrounds/borders/etc over the endlessly repeating background? Or have different tiles on a given background? If this kind of thing isn't the focus don't bother, I guess.

It's hard to make suggestions, because the pictures that seem to be of gameplay segments don't really get across (as stills) what's going on. There's a bit of spritespam going on in the ones with Slash - reminds me of what happens if you turn on infinite mana in starcraft and the computer has access to templar. That kind of thing tends to have a surreal effect when playing in my experience.

Hey guys, got another screenshot. Please, respond, no posts= no love......

Oh, see my request above. Also, can anyone guess what will happen next? I you guess right, you get COOKIEZ!~

The Slashes will make a secret nazi forest formation.

Edited by L1049

1.Consolidate the warp room with some other stuff. Put in an NPC (if there's talking), make the room space smaller and add some detail around it, add some sort of training/equipment/shopping option, or something like that. Basically, think about what Chrono Trigger did with its warp area. If it's either a menu/debug room'ish warp room (i.e., not completely contiguous w/ the game world, 4th wall breakingg, etc) or a space distortion like the end of time, the thing Kiryn said about room shrinking might work OK here too, since being surrounded by black space makes a bit more sense.

2.Also, I don't really know stuff about graphics, but since you can put objects on top of the backgrounds, could you use that to make backgrounds/borders/etc over the endlessly repeating background? Or have different tiles on a given background? If this kind of thing isn't the focus don't bother, I guess.

3.It's hard to make suggestions, because the pictures that seem to be of gameplay segments don't really get across (as stills) what's going on. There's a bit of spritespam going on in the ones with Slash - reminds me of what happens if you turn on infinite mana in starcraft and the computer has access to templar. That kind of thing tends to have a surreal effect when playing in my experience.

4.The Slashes will make a secret nazi forest formation.

I put numbers in your qoute, so responding would be easier.

1.Makes sense....... It is fourth wall breaking, it's to get from chapter to chapter. I'll see what I can do. I'm not sure if Gamemaker 8.0 can shrink the room, but I know 8.1 can. I'll see. (I can't download 8.1, due to technical issues with my old computer.)

2. I have done this with my friend. I could try, but too many objects waste a chunk of memory. I'm only about to finish chpater one, and it already takes a good few seconds to load. However, I will see. I actually wanna release the old versions of my the game. Does anyone know how I can do this?

3. Yup. There's 2 reasons why there all theifs too. Just gotta use context clues from the text. (Damnit teachers, I'm starting to sound like you.)

4.Haha, I must post a world map. You're partially right, and they do take Robert and Ashley away. Hell, It's close enough. Cookie.

Yup, good suggestions. Also, right now I'm trying to find music. (not for any place in particular, but I'm trying to find music for a port town, a desert, and a jungle. If there's any overlooked peices of video game music you know of, reguardless if they fit with a port/desert/jungle or not, and it sounds good, please tell me!

By the way, just kind of a mini poll, but should a little girl find out who her brother is, or fall in love? Trying to pick out what happens to Lila.......

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...