Mappy issues

Jamesiluce

Is there a size limit to the map you can put into the prologue chapter?

I've been able to make 3 other maps that all work fine, but now I've made 2 20 x 20 maps and I can't insert either one with out them coming all messed up. I change the chapter data editor to the proper things along with repointing the map in the event table reference. One of the maps caused the game to crash and get me a warning about a bios thing idk what that was for..

or constantly changing the type of tileset(castle -> overworld -> plains -> dragons gate -> fort -> village -> etc)

No I dont ever use ctrl x for anything and no one map was with tile set 10000712 and the other was 10002212

I close the program after I make a map then reopen to make the next.

1. Open Mappy

2. change the text boxes to 16,16,20,20. For a 20 by 20 map.

3. Import tileset 01001112.

4. Make map

5. Save map

6. Create MAR file

7. Open Mar inserter

8. Find Mar and Rom, change size to 20 20, offset DA0000 and run

9. Open Nightmare load rom, Chapter data editor, event references

10. Change prolouge map to 0x8DA0000 enter, ctrl s

11. Change chapter one boxes to 01 00 11 12 enter, ctrl s

12. Open rom and bam map is ugly

And yes i havent edited events so Lyn runs thru a wall will that really mess up the way the map looks?

I had the same problem and I still don't understand what went wrong with mappy. Maybe it's a little bugged? (FE8 tilesets work pretty bad..)

I just switched to Tiled and I didn't experienced any error so far, and I did the exact same things I did with Mappy.

Just try yourself Tiled and see if you solve the problem. There should be a tutorial on how to download/use it in this section.

P.S. About this:

And yes i havent edited events so Lyn runs thru a wall will that really mess up the way the map looks?

For my little experience, this shouldn't affect the map itself unless the camera or the character move far offscreen. If a character is loaded on a wall, it just moves weirdly for some time and then stucks in that position.

Edited by AlfredKamon

are you sure you have the right settings checked off

yes I even changed the 3rd number to all the others because the 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th are the same for the other tile sets that look like the one im using

Try and C+P all of the Town and Docks related stuff from an edited ROM into yours at the same addresses. It sounds like you may have overwritten some data by accident.

Try and C+P all of the Town and Docks related stuff from an edited ROM into yours at the same addresses. It sounds like you may have overwritten some data by accident.

I'm not sure what you mean by that except for cut and paste and i may have over written some data

Open up an unedited FE7 ROM and use the FE7 Event Reference Module.

Go to all of the Town and Docks things. You'll see a pointer there.

asdasdf.png

Mine says "0x8DD7390". So I open up my edited ROM in HxD, and the unedited ROM too. I go to address (using Ctrl+G) DD7390 and compare the two.

ZAXcZXc.png

Are they different in any way? If your answer is yes, that means that you've accidentally overwritten the data where the tilesets were, probably with your events or a map. Repeat this for the config and the palette just to be on the safe side. If this is the case, what you can try and do is copy and paste (use Ctrl+C then Ctrl+B; do NOT use Ctrl+V, EVER) some data over from the unedited ROM into the edited ROM. You do risk screwing up whatever you had written there before and maaaaybe messing up some pointers but it'll be better than nothing.

Edited by Agro

Alright, try Tiled, as AlfredKamon suggested. I have the opposite problem (Tiled doesn't work for me) so you might just have to deal with it. Tiled is superior to Mappy in every way possible, anyway.

Ok I can try that then lol. Funny that you cant get the superior program to work for you but then again ill prolly not like me either. I'm no good at making maps anyway but then again I dont think im good at any particular aspect of this. Althought its nice to finally see my ideas kinda come together in what ive been doing. still cant get text to work right thought.

You need to put the FMP file in a zip or upload to an external host like mediafire or dropbox. You can't get a MAR file from Tiled, he means post the original MAR file that was giving you problems.