So I'm really indecisive...

For my RD run  

23 members have voted

1. 1. How many of these guys should I use?

• Boyd
    • Ulki
    • Oscar

I'm up to part 3 in an RD NM run, and I've decided to use Ike, Haar, Titania, Nephenee, Janaff, Gatrie, Shinon, Brom (Don't ask), Kieran, Danved, Mordecai, Soren, and Rhys for healing. Wondering if I should use any of these guys as well. (I didn't include my part 1 guys)

Edit: screw it, no more Danved or Kieran, and I'm definitely using Ranulf, just because he force-deploys on a few maps. I'm keeping Brom, but only because I've poured too many resources into him in part 2.

Edit2: Sorry, more details;

Oscar would be used because his caps are so pathetic, BEXP abuse looks effective at getting him balanced, but he still wouldn't be the best because of said caps. Ulki because he seems to just be a good unit in genral, but I may have too many laguz on my team. For Boyd, I figure he could be good, but I'm also using Nolan in my Part 1 team, so it might not be too smart.

Edited by I don't play for turns

Ulki and Janaff are kind of exceptions to "non-royal laguz sucking", because even if they will never be as good as Tibarn or Naesala, they still have strong gauges and good stats when transformed. Ranulf is forced for a couple chapters so you might as well make use of him when you have him. He isn't awful stats-wise, but his gauge kind of screws him over and I would say he's my least favourite out of the four options. Boyd has somewhat suspect durability and his speed starts off a little lacklustre, even though he hits hard in one hit. Out of the four choices, Oscar is probably the most helpful because he has high mobility and an earth support, but I would say Ulki is a close second from just being so naturally dodgy that he can even take on some enemies untransformed to build up gauge without grass, plus some weapon exp for his strike gauge.

Oscar and Ranulf, I'd say. Oscar has amazing stats all around, and he's by far my most preferred unit in both games. He's strong, avoids frequently, rarely misses...

Ranulf has also never done poorly for me. He dodges a LOT and would only miss by a miracle on the enemy's side. He takes by far less damage than Oscar, but the fact that he does dodge a lot helps with this - you can attack more with less penalty. I also tend to give Ranulf Adept and Vantage, making him, at least for me, practically invincible when Adept kicks in. Weakened enemies also still attack him, thus him killing them off with Vantage before they can even TRY to hit him.

Edited by You Know Shinon Is God

Use Boyd and Oscar if you are also using Rolf for the Triangle attack, otherwise Haar/Brom will be better axe users than Boyd and the same goes for Gatrie compared to Oscar, imho... (though a good mobility is useful during part 3)

If you really want to use one of them, Oscar's affinity is great with anyone.

Ulki is an excellent unit that can be used whenever you want, even if you have benched him for a long time, despite the laguz gauge.

Ulki is by far the best of the four. Not as good as Tibarn/Naesala but certainly useful when it comes to adding numbers to your crew (helpful in Part 4).

Boyd is good but needs some luck with his Spd growth or he will never double anything. Only train him if you don't want to bother with Nolan (who will always outclass Boyd when you campare them both at third tier). I usually use him in Part 3 though.

Oscar suffers from mediocre Str (he will rarely two-shot much) and piss-poor stat caps in Str and Spd. Inferior to Titania and Kieran. Since Paladins are, this time around, completely outclassed by Dragonlords in pretty much every aspect and suffer from far more terrain disadvantages than in PoR, it's not really worth training up more than one and you're already using Titania. Like Boyd, I still use him in Part 3 though as he's good backup.

Ranulf is forced throughout all the Part 3 chapters he's around for so it's worth using him when you have to. He's decent enough in Part 3.

Problem with Mordecai is his terrible Spd. Magical enemies utterly rape him.

Good if you need to smack something hard, though. Better than Lethe and Lyre, anyway.

Which Resolve takes care of. And mages aren't that common, anyways.

Going by average stats, I would say Boyd and Ulki would be the best options but I really don't like the laguz gauge so I say Oscar and Boyd are better, just because I don't like the sucky laguz gauge of RD. <_<