[Nintendo Direct] First look at English localisation

VincentASM

A heads up, the latest American Nintendo Direct features a look at the English version of Awakening. The Awakening section's just gone past and the stream is still ungoing, so it might be a while before you can check it.

fe_eng.png

I spotted a bunch of name changes. Donny kind of confused me, because Chrom calls him Donny, but his name box said Donnel. A nickname perhaps?

Edited by VincentASM

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, I missed the first part of the video, only just realised Nintendo Direct's on today.

Guess who?

Donnel

Vaike

Miriel

Sully

Virion

Grendel (boss)

Corpse soldiers are Risens, My Unit is an Avatar.

Quick dump of all the names I caught; I could've missed a few:

• To no-one's surprise at all, the game's title is Fire Emblem: Awakening
  • Chrom remains unchanged (depending on one's perspective anyway)
  • Emelina is now Emmeryn
  • Soiree is now Sully
  • Viole is now Virion
  • Frederick remains unchanged
  • The My Unit concept might be called "Avatar"; no way to know for sure until release. The trailer used the name Robin for its MU, but there's no way of knowing if that's the English default.
  • Sumia remains unchanged
  • Donny is now Donnel, though he's also called "Donny" in dialogue
  • Wyck is now Vaike
  • Miriel remains unchanged.
  • Geriba is now Grendel

• The My Unit concept might be called "Avatar"; no way to know for sure until release. The trailer used the name Robin for its MU, but there's no way of knowing if that's the English default.

Sounds pretty legit. It does sound like a gender neutral name in English.

Even though, IIRC, it's more numerous for boys in Europe, while it's more feminine in the United States.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Finally we got a look at the game, and Reggie mentioned at the end of the video it would be coming in the "1st part of 2013" along with Animal Crossing, so at the very least we have a more specific release window.

Also, Vincent, since they've officially named it Awakening here, are you going to update the "Fire Emblem 3DS" tab on the front page to "Awakening"? I just noticed earlier that it still said that.

Also, Vincent, since they've officially named it Awakening here, are you going to update the "Fire Emblem 3DS" tab on the front page to "Awakening"? I just noticed earlier that it still said that.

Oh yeah, of course.

I just need to locate my PSDs or wait for NTG to find them...

I prefer Krom for the spelling of his name...

But oh well, at least I can still pronounce it with a short o sound instead of long. Meaning, Chrom rhymes with "mom."

As for the other names so far, they're fine to me. No argument. Though, I would have named Gimle Grendel instead. Grendel is the name of that monster dude from the epic poem Beowulf, so I would think it to be fitting for a villain character.

The only name I'd say I take issue with is Virion, if only because he tries to bear that name while looking nothing like this. I also can't help but feel that "Plegia" is a little unsubtle even by FE standards for villainous nation names, but eh. I'll probably stop noticing in a matter of days. The rest is pretty much decent-to-good news all around.

I think we're all missing the most important part of this news, though: the fact that

Still. Looks. Totally. EPIC!

Looking forward to how the voices turn out in the cutscenes, because I recall hearing Chrom and some others speak when we saw the Japanese trailers. ^^

Virion's a very beautiful name. :) I like it! Sully on the other hand kinda blows; Soiree (evening) was supposed to contrast Sol (sun), but I don't think Sully means anything like that? The voices sound fine too, for now. XD Virion and Vaike sound great. Man, it's gonna be hard adjusting to the new names. I would have preferred it if they pronounced Chrom with a hard "o" though.

Edited by Keilis

Sully reminds me of the character from Monsters Inc.

Crap, can't unsee now.

Sully wasn't that character's real name though. That would be James P. Sullivan. lol

But I was reminded of him too. XD

Finally! Some solid English proof that Awakening's going to come out in America!

But what did Reggie mean by "first part?"

FIRST PART OF WHAT?

Why couldn't he have been a bit more specific...? I'm dying to get the game...

*sigh* Too bad Nintendo had to add region locks to the 3DS. If that lock wasn't there, I would consider importing a copy of Awakening... But since I can't play it without buying a Japanese 3DS... I'll just have to wait.

First part of 2013, I think. Meaning first quarter. Meaning January, February, or March. Meaning before my birthday in May. ^^

I'm dying to get the game too! I bet now it'll be up for preorder real soon!