A Legal Form of Torture [Hamlet's Sprites]

Caliban of Sycorax

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Literally know nothing about weapon icons, so they look pretty nice to me. In the axes section, the axe on the bottom left doesn't seem too scary to me. The edges seem a little soft, almost seems more like a hammer.

Sprite on the other hand, I think his hair is a bit too rounded on the right side of the image, makes the shape of his head look like a bowling ball. His eyes might be a bit far apart too. The outfit is kind of off too, the light source is forsaken for pillowy shading and there's a lot of border color in there that you don't need. It's still rather close in design to Wil so you could really just reference the shading he has on his outfit

Edited by Mewiyev

I'll probably go through and fix the axes later... I don't like them too much at this point. I basically did massive referencing and almost pixel-for-pixel copying, which I didn't do with the Swords/Lances besides the Magic Swords, which was intentional on their part.

Malcolm-1.png

I hope this helps with the hair and clothing problems. I also changed the colors around because I didn't like the teal armor. I'll play with the eyes later as well to see if I can make them not look so far apart.

• 3 weeks later...

Something new for your tastebuds.

Anne.png

Fullcustom minus some hair splicing from Sonia and Limstella, considering they have the ONLY hair that matches. Based off this photo of Katharine Hepburn. I'm going to try to make the body not so boring or so bad later, and possibly darken the hair.

EDIT:

Anne-1.png

Better hair color yay

Edited by Hamlet

just

just please

stick to just splicing.

trent.

you have been saying this to me for years now.

you realize that there is NO WAY for me to get better if I don't at least try.

stop saying it already.

you're wasting your breath.

and you trying to custom is wasting your time

at least maybe what I'm saying will sink in some day.

sigh

when was, at least, the last time you tried to splice without customing anything other than the fixes where parts touch?

because you keep trying to custom without showing that you know how to splice. If you could show you know how to splice then maybe people would be more wanting to help you? But you keep posting the same stuff over and over again, without showing any signs of improving.

this is why I think you're wasting your time.

Edited by seph1212

...I'm kind of inclined to agree with Seph, TBVH. Like, yeah, you're not going to get better at customing by not doing it, but you're also not going to get a scrap better at spriting if you keep making the same mistakes over and over again without fixing your previous pieces first.

It's kind of painful to watch, really. Could we at least start with heavily-customed, heavily-multi-part-spliced pieces, first?

EDIT:

Anne-1.png

Better hair color yay

Yeah, shame you didn't fix ... pretty much everything else.

Look, you AREN'T IMPROVING. Stick to splicing, and work your way up like pretty much everyone else; don't jump the queue, you don't have what it takes (Pretty sure Boney's the only decent spriter who did, correct me if I'm wrong; you sure aren't the second).

(Pretty sure Boney's the only decent spriter who did, correct me if I'm wrong; you sure aren't the second).

Char is pretty much the most shining example.

And Pi, too, though his starting stuff was already pretty amaze.

...but that's off-topic.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

Jaggies everywhere, esp the hair outline. Ear set pretty far into the face. Imo, strip the current painting/color part and fix lineart first.

2c on the spliceVs.Custom debate: you're probably only going to output a mug as well as you could in the pencil medium, only a lot slower. Learning by splicing gives shading, anatomy, pixeling, FE style piecemeal, so you can only make so many mistakes; customing upfront means you can make mistakes in so many places to the point of being overwhelmed and struggling to know where you went wrong/see where the problem was. (I see "Did this work?..No. Did this work?...No"x50.)

If you're still sticking with customs, try parting out the process into lineart->flat colors->shading and show that.

• 1 month later...

Hey I made something new. Sorta.

NewPersonalMug-4_zps67e83779.png

I took a break from bad customs to bring you bad semi-customs.

This is a revamp of my personal mug which has taken a long time to do. The last incarnation of this was... in August. Of last year.

I forget where half of the parts came from.

Body is a combination of Lloyd/Linus, I believe. I referenced them for shading. Obviously. I probably tried too hard in some places, especially his right (our left) side.

Eventually I want to fix that damned nose and that butt-ugly trim; also eventually having not spliced hair.

Edited by Hamlet

Two things stand out to me at a glance:

The shading of the hair of the forehead is looking a little chunky and jagged. Ref other characters with hair on face, like Canas, perhaps?

The jacket palette is not awesome. There's too much contrast between the first and second shades, and using the border colour as the third shade isn't looking great when you use those two colours. I'd suggest finding a palette that does the same sort of thing, like Carlyle's jacket. There's also far too much of the outline colour used in there which really stands out in the FE8 version (it's not as bad in the FE7 version).

^what agroh said + adjust the shading of the neck and reference other FE sprites for the trim XD

also, the "fringe" thingy on this way -> has too many straight lines, try to make them curvier and such

^what agroh said + adjust the shading of the neck and reference other FE sprites for the trim XD

also, the "fringe" thingy on this way -> has too many straight lines, try to make them curvier and such

Are there any places where I can adjust neck shading specifically? And thanks on the tip on the trim!

Agro: I'm referencing Lloyd and Linus who only have two jacket shades and use the outline for shaping purposes. Should I use darker/less contrast shades in order to justify the outline color? Or perhaps add a third jacket shade and use that where the outline color would normally be?

EDIT: I'm not sure if this helped any, but I added a third jacket shade to take place of the outline color. I haven't done much to hair yet. I also tried to fix the trim--both in shape and shading. I also worked on jacket colors a bit, altering contrast and the whatnot.

NewPersonalMug-4_zpsed0543b1.png

Direct Comparison:

NewPersonalMug-4_zps67e83779.png

NewPersonalMug-4_zpsed0543b1.png

Edited by Hamlet

Also, I have this:

Maire-newest_zps409a0cad.png

It's definitely a work-in-progress. I want it to look more custom and less Beta!Eirika. Next step will be playing with the FE8 colors, especially the hair, making it more individual, and possibly adding some things here and there to the body.

Any critiques before I move onward will help.

EDIT: Added some minor alterations, mostly in color. Hair darkened in both versions, FE8 color version clothes changed, earring altered, minor face changes.

Maire-newest_zpsf5ecab6a.png

Direct Comparison:

Maire-newest_zps409a0cad.png

Maire-newest_zpsf5ecab6a.png

Edited by Hamlet

She's missing some mandible, man. I'd probably resplice BEirika's jaw back on to help that. Her body shape is kinda weird too. Like her near shoulder is non-existent and her far shoulder juts out too far; this is due to the splice choices, but you'll probably have to end up customizing to fix this.

One of the problems with the body shape (I noticed) is that the face and body angle don't necessarily match. The body looks about 3/4 and the face is not 3/4. I'm most likely going to re-splice the body with a better angle.

Her shirt thing needs shading something awful :P Uhhh the hairflow's a bit derpy like there's two strands of shading in particular that are really not... normal, and the chunk of hair that's kind of like, on the top left of her head? looks weird and kinda blobby :P

The cloak has outline colour galore which is not good shading but you want to fix that so ignore this.

The angle of her head is throwing me off, as is her armour piece thing... maybe that's a light source issue? I don't know, it seems alright but it's just bugging the crap out of me. :3 Could be awkward placement, too, I have no idea.

Anyway, I like it, it looks like a really nice splice; just got some issues is all~

Not sure if these fixes help any but I think I solved the hair issue, at least:

Maire-newest_zpsea361ec0.png

I also added a second shade to the cloak and changed the shading on the armor--does that help the light source/angling issue? Also, I tried to alter the shirt shading, but ended up just changing the colors. I'll look to that later.

The hair looks better, definitely :P

Yeah the shirt shading could still use some fixies but w/e :3

The new armour shading definitely helped that issue. The cloak shading is better with a second shade as well. What's the bit that's kind of above where the cloak attaches on the left OPV though? It's sort of up and to the right a bit :o