Can someone help me with this math problem?

Darros

PreCalProbe.png

Today in math we had this little assignment, and gave me a bit of trouble. I think I got it right, but I'm really not sure. There was a little issue with factoring, and I'm just wondering what exactly the answer was. I don't have mine back and probably won't for a few days. It's kind of bugging me.

You know, it has been years since I did Calc, but I could not walk away until I at least tried this.

I got (x+6)(x-1)^2 / x(x-2)^2 but again, I am way too rusty, and I am not too terribly confident in that answer. I can try to show my work if you want.

I think that was similar to what I had, but my denominator was different. I had (x)(x-2)(x^2-3x-2) or something like that. The quadratic there was a headache because it didn't factor and I ended up with huge decimals in my restrictions.

pain in the ass but hang on lemme get out my paper

that was pretty fun thanks

ANSWER:

(x-1)2(x+1)(x+6)

-----------------------

x(x-2)(x2-3x-2)

EDIT: do you like my perfectly formatted fraction

EDIT: oh yeah restrictions

if they want what I think they want:

function is undefined at x = 0, x = 2, and x = 3 +/- sqrt(17) quantity over 2.

simplification is defined but not equal to the original function (f(x) would have been undefined) at x = 1, x = -1

EDIT2: actually after some more thought I suspect "restrictions" only means "when is the original function undefined but the simplification is defined" which would be only x = 1 and x = -1

that's the kind of thing I'd ask my professor on a test though

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

legit double-post here

EDIT: which of course comes after a deliberate double-post to make a triple-post :|

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

ANSWER:

(x-1)2(x+1)(x+6)

-----------------------

x(x-2)(x2-3x-2)

I did it and arrived to the exact same answer.

Integ pretty much hit the nail on the head with the restrictions as well, so yeah

pain in the ass but hang on lemme get out my paper

ANSWER:

(x-1)2(x+1)(x+6)

-----------------------

x(x-2)(x2-3x-2)

EDIT: do you like my perfectly formatted fraction

EDIT: oh yeah restrictions

if they want what I think they want:

function is undefined at x = 0, x = 2, and x = 3 +/- sqrt(17) quantity over 2.

simplification is defined but not equal to the original function (f(x) would have been undefined) at x = 1, x = -1

EDIT2: actually after some more thought I suspect "restrictions" only means "when is the original function undefined but the simplification is defined" which would be only x = 1 and x = -1

that's the kind of thing I'd ask my professor on a test though

haha, I could just let you do all my math forever if you want.

Your formatting is beautiful. That's actually great. Thanks.

The restrictions, as we defined them, are any x values, at any point in the whole equation process, that make the denominator equal to 0. So it would be 1, -1, 2, and 0 from the original piece, as well as the 3 +/- root 17 all over 2 restrictions, which had me confused. I thought I factored wrong. It looks like I didn't. Thank you very much.

Also thank you Manix.

Edited by Macho Barbarian Darros

haha, I could just let you do all my math forever if you want.

Your formatting is beautiful. That's actually great. Thanks.

The restrictions, as we defined them, are any x values, at any point in the whole equation process, that make the denominator equal to 0. So it would be 1, -1, 2, and 0 from the original piece, as well as the 3 +/- root 17 all over 2 restrictions, which had me confused. I thought I factored wrong. It looks like I didn't. Thank you very much.

Also thank you Manix.

anytime, dude. I enjoy doing math, and algebra shit like this is good practice to keep me limber for calc.