Shattered Honour Chapter Four (Infiltration route)

Parrhesia

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Irene rolls her eyes at Jordan's comment, but Jack waves for the group to follow and approaches the nearest guard. "Hello, we're looking for recruitment. Could you point us in the correct direction?"

The man grins, nastily. "More new meat, eh? Think you're so fuckin' clever tryin' to put us real soldiers out of a job?"

He sighs. "Whatever. Molloy's recruitin' for the 6th Mercenary Legion a couple blocks down. Used to be a barracks. Don't expect any advance pay, don't expect to get equipped. You get your pay AFTER you fight with us, not before. Means they don't really care about deserters, either. There's some who'll say Strachan's gettin' overconfident, but I says he has his bases covered."

"Well, as you can see, we all come equipped. And don't worry about us. We'll keep up. Thanks for the directions." With that, Jack sets off towards the former barracks. Upon reaching the building, he enters, expecting the others to follow. Irene follows, but makes sure to take careful stock of everything around her.

There are a couple shops around, but you lack any Dracian marks, so you can't exactly do much.

You're nodded through quickly. Evidently this sort of thing happens often. Molloy the recruiter is a barrel-chested man with a scruffy black beard. He wastes no time. "Ahh, good to see you aren't wastin' time waitin' for the press-gangs. You want the oath?"

Jack grins. "Well, this looks better than any other work I've seen otherwise. More likely to win, that's for sure. So yeah. Sign me up at least. The others will have to speak for themselves."

Irene just silently nods.

Jordan followed alongside Jack, more than a little unnerved by the guard up front, but doing his best not to show it. I can't help but feel something's going to go wrong. Shivers all down my spine. The recruiter seemed a bit intimidating as well, but Jordan swallowed and stepped forward, after Jack. "Yes, sir, sign me up as well. I'll do my best with my crossbow, here."

"Yeah, jus' swear t' uphold the Dracian way... or somethin' like that, anyway. Oh, an' make yer mark on these here tablets." Molloy indicates a few stones worn as amulets, the marks written in charcoal. "Do that an' yer in. You get nothing in advance, saves on desertions."

Tordel was cautious, it seemed too easy but they had a job to do.

"I need the money, I'll make my mark."

He sprawled something that vaguely looked like a T on the slate. He couldn't write, but he knew that letter was the start of his name.

Jordan noticed that Matthias had written down a slightly different name, which seemed like a good idea if they were found out and had to run. Slightly, at least. He nodded to the man and wrote down Joseph as his name, sighing a little.

Felix isn't exactly an uncommon name, but he figures it can't hurt to be cautious. Using his lackluster talents at scribery, he scrawls out a beautiful moniker on the tablet.

"Bilbo"

You have the whole city ahead of you to explore. You're starting to get thirsty, and you don't have any of the right money to buy anything... with luck, the bartender might take crowns.

"Bilbo" asks everybody he can find for directions to the nearest bar, counting his coins along the way. He really likes drinking.

Edited by Mr. Sparkles

"If you don't mind, Bilbo. I'd appreciate one." He chuckled a little bit, extremely amused by Felix's ruse. We should probably check to see if we can learn anything in the tavern, as well.

Edited by seph1212

The nearest tavern is the Screaming Mary, a name to which the etymology will remain lost forever as the innkeeper is slumped against the bar with a dirk lodged in his back. Another mercenary is pouring out rounds on the house; easy for him, he won't have to rebuild.

The place is full of soldiers and sellswords.