Do you like the way Magic is treated in this game?

Gold Vanguard

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

I like it for the most part. The lack of light magic or a triangle hurts though. The single rank for anima is pretty good in my opinion, because that way I wouldn't have to use the tomes that I'm not a fan of just so I can use the cool A rank tomes. I hope in the next game the triangle and especially light magic return, and by triangle, I mean both the Anima-Dark-Light and the Wind-Thunder-Fire triangles. Overall though, it's pretty good.

To be fair, having magics separate wasn't doing much to promote strategy. I'll admit. I actually liked the Anima/Light/Dark triangle. But honestly? If there's no reason for a magic triangle, period, there might as well be no magic triangle at all. Heck, the only differences between Fire/Wind/Thunder in FE4 was weapon weight and Legendary Weapon effects. I'm just thankful that weapon ranks are fixed for the most part in that game. The same, however, couldn't be said for FE9, where Thunder magic defeated the purposes of other magics due to higher might, and the fact that every weapon that's effective against certain units only dealt double the normal damage. Having Anima Magic split in that game did NOT help. But as for this game, merged or not, I just wish there was more Light Magic outside of Naga.

Edited by Little Al

From the looks of it, it seems handled pretty good though I do miss light magic for the magic triangle, I do not however miss the separate fire, wind, and thunder anima triangle as it didn't make any sense to me... It might have made more sense to me if thunder was water instead but I doubt it.... XD

Mages aren't usually the best characters in the game so the extra versatility of the combined Weapon Rank is pretty handy. Though I'd I think it wouldn't have hurt to give you stronger tomes earlier(like Shadow Dragon did with Excalibur,Bolganon,Thoron) because outside of the Spotpass character shops and one of each either from drops or on a characer the D and C-rank tomes only become purchasable after Steel and Silver Weapons respectively.

I liked the way magic was handled in FE 9 and FE 10 personally. It made things more challenging and each mage playable unique. For example, Ilyana was a lightning mage and happened to be the only one able to use Rexbolt. Heh, goodbye dragons..

But I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. Awakening makes up for it in various ways.

Edited by Aura Of Twilight

Speaking of light magic, I'm actually very surprised that Starlight somehow isn't in this game in some form or another. It seems to be the only really legendary weapon that isn't.

Or Aura. Though in Starlight's case, there isn't actually a need for it unlike in FEs 1, 3, and their remakes.

I kind of liked the idea of a magic triangle, but I'm not overly upset without it. Overall I like magic in FE13, it'd just be nice to have light magic - especially as Iris seems to worship the 'holy' dragon, right?

I like having separate categories. To me, it seems pointless to have Fire, Thunder and Wind magic trees if there is almost no difference between them.

Wind magic is effective against flying units, fire magic is accurate, thunder is powerful and has a crit rate. Fire is also cheaper.

Also I like how magic is handled in this game etc, also I like how resistance is a good stat to have because enemy sorcerers hit that much harder.

Edited by Lord Raven

Wind magic is effective against flying units, fire magic is accurate, thunder is powerful and has a crit rate. Fire is also cheaper.

There are differences, yes, but in my opinion, they are not different enough to matter so much (Except the A-level tomes, which I would agree are pretty different from each other). The differences are not significant enough to the point that I would specifically choose to use one type of magic over the other in the vast majority of circumstances besides the Wind bonus over flying enemies. If each one had an effective bonus like FE10, like if Thunder Magic was effective against armored enemies like in FE1 and balanced out with Fire Magic effective against horseback enemies (fur catching fire, spooking the horses, however it could be justified), then I could see having full sets of magic at each level. Or, adding in a magic triangle that is strengthened with the fact that the post-FE11 weapon rank bonuses are eliminated when going against the triangle may justify it as well. Right now, it just seems like a waste.

Edited by Sky Soldier

I liked Shadow Dragon for one thing, there were a big variety of anima magic, I also like the trinity of GBA. I think they should bring back the GBA magic trinity, and add more ice, wind, and thunder magics, just a much bigger variety for anima would be nice.

There are differences, yes, but in my opinion, they are not different enough to matter so much (Except the A-level tomes, which I would agree are pretty different from each other). The differences are not significant enough to the point that I would specifically choose to use one type of magic over the other in the vast majority of circumstances besides the Wind bonus over flying enemies. If each one had an effective bonus like FE10, like if Thunder Magic was effective against armored enemies like in FE1 and balanced out with Fire Magic effective against horseback enemies (fur catching fire, spooking the horses, however it could be justified), then I could see having full sets of magic at each level. Or, adding in a magic triangle that is strengthened with the fact that the post-FE11 weapon rank bonuses are eliminated when going against the triangle may justify it as well. Right now, it just seems like a waste.

The same could be said for other FEs though. Especially since one magic type often trumped the other two magics in an established magic trinity. The only difference is that this one allows freedom of a wider selection even if the user of choice isn't promoted, and no magic type is inherently superior to another.

@bolded: Thunder magic wasn't effective against anything in FE1 if I recall correctly.

The same could be said for other FEs though. Especially since one magic type often trumped the other two magics in an established magic trinity. The only difference is that this one allows freedom of a wider selection even if the user of choice isn't promoted, and no magic type is inherently superior to another.

@bolded: Thunder magic wasn't effective against anything in FE1 if I recall correctly.

I know it can be said about other FEs. Especially FE4, where the only difference was weapon weight. Doesn't mean that I wouldn't

prefer something else, though. I like greater separation between the types of tomes to make them more unique. To me, it just feels

like a waste to have the full trees for all three combined like this without much of a strategic difference.

And, I looked back, and I was thinking of the Thunder Sword, not Thunder magic, when I typed that. Sorry. (Even then, it isn't effective

against Knights/Generals, it just couldn't be used by them.)

While I mostly like how FE13 handles magic, I do somewhat miss there being a magical triangle. Even keeping them all under one weapon rank, I don't see why a Fire/Wind/Thunder triangle couldn't still exist, although I get that it isn't really necessary either. Including dark magic the way the game does but not light magic is also weird to get used to, but I otherwise quite like FE13's handle on magic in general; simplified in a good way. Having multiple magic weapon ranks to deal with in a game where maintaining weapon ranks can be quite relevant would be quite the pain.

I'm more frustrated with how Dark Mages can use dark magic but then can promote to a class that can't (and how Troubadours can promote to mount-free Battle Clerics, for that matter), but that's neither here nor there.

Better than having like 5 tomes throughout the whole game (FE GBA) or only being able to level up one tome type at a time (FE5/9/10).

The power differences between the tomes are large- Wind is 2 less powerful than fire generally (with effective damage), which is 2 less powerful than Thunder (with a crit rate). Their accuracy differences are 10 as well, so it's actually good to carry multiple different ones around so you can adjust depending on the situation, as opposed to 5 thunder tomes and going gung-ho into it.

Edited by Lord Raven

I like the way they handled magic in this game,but I miss light magic and the magic triangle.Not to mention that I'd like it if they gave more variety between the types of anima magic similar to how it was in RD(maybe something like wind being good against pegasi,fire against griffin riders and thunder against wyvern riders)