Do you like the way Magic is treated in this game?

Gold Vanguard

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you?

I actually like the lack of a magic triangle in the new games. Having it in some of the previous ones was rather difficult (or useless) simply becouse magic wielders tended to be the minority of your units (and tended to have stats that could make them near useless unless you are very careful and patient).

Eliminating the magic triangle means I no longer have to fuss over it if all the magic users on the battle field use a specific type of magic (such as Dark Magic) and the magic user I have that is effective over them is severely underleveled. (like when I ended up with Serra as a level 1 Bishop, lost Lucius, and ended up screwing my tactical score at the end of the game cause the enemies I was facing were stronger than she was)

It simply means one less headache for me XD But I can see why some people dont like it.

All a matter of opinion :)

I like that the system was simplified over the horrible rank split in FE 9/10 and that the system has a little more to it than FE 11/12, and that anima is much more diverse than FE6/7/8, but I do miss dedicated triangles for magic. So there's hits and misses but otherwise I prefer this over what we've had for the past two generations of games.

Yes and no (voted yes). Things I miss include:

• long-ranged anima magic (understandable, because they want to make dark mages more powerful to make up with their lack of staff rank)
  • light magic (don't like battle monks; they simply aren't meant for physical attacks)
  • both triangles
  • beast and dragon effectiveness for fire and thunder (that'll make the game more tactical IMO)
  • magic-based, ranged lances that can be purchased at will (should've kept Sonic Sword and Flame Lance)

Things I like include:

• in terms of might, thunder > fire > wind (seriously, FE10?)
  • dark Nosferatu (how can a creepy move like this be light magic is beyond me)
  • the sheer number of dark tomes
  • Slime having battle animation
  • full anima system, unlike FE6/7/8/11/12 where the basic Wind isn't available

Merits outweight demerits, I'd say. Maybe except the "no light magic" part.

Eh... I don't like how magic is handle is this game, but on the other hand its never been done right IMHO

FE1: The lack of anyone having a magic or res stat made it not very useful

FE2: LOL magic costing HP

FE3: Better than FE1 but no one having res out of a 3% growth is bothersome

FE4: Imbalanced as hell, Wind is strictly better then Thunder which is strictly better then fire, 5 types of magic is over kill, and the fact that Dark and Light are powerful than both and both have weapon triangle advantage against the anima trinity bothers me as well, as well as the lack as playable dark magic users, and the lack of a B rank light tome bugs as well (not like it maters at all but it just does)

FE5: At least their is a playable dark magic user, but every other complaint is still valid, and the lack of D, and B fire magic, D, C, and B thunder magic, E, C, and B Wind magic, D and C light magic, E, D, and B Dark magic is another thing that bugs me

FE6: The Magic Triangle is actually balanced this time balanced and I'm glad they combined the Anima triangle. Though the lack of Tier 1 light magic users, the fact that light magic is pretty much inferior to anima in every way, and the lack E rank dark tomes, and D rank Light tomes, bugs me

FE7: The most balanced its ever been IMHO, I'm really close they added the monk, but the fact the light weighs more than Anima (should be the other way around), and the fact that Dark magic still starts at D bugs me. But its close.

FE8: See FE7

FE9: This feels like a step backwards honestly, they didn't need to separate Anima again, and why is there no dark magic, and why is there no tier 1 light magic users, and why is light magic worse the anima triangle in ever regard. At least the anima triangle balanced

FE10: Ok they fixed light Magic, but why is thunder magic worse than every other type of magic in every regard and have high weapon rank requirements (other then super effective dragon damage). I'm glad they added Dark Magic back but why are there no playable dark magic users till the second play through, no tier 1 dark magic class, and E or D Dark tomes, or for that matter, no D rank light or thunder magic, or no A rank fire or wind magic. At least they had the decency to keep 4 of types reasonably balanced

FE11: I get its a remake of FE1, but can you give enemies a resistance, or add a Monk class, and give the Bishops light magic, and the Dark Mages and Sorcerers Dark Magic. and why is their no obtainable A rank Magic

FE12: See FE11 but replace FE1 with FE3

FE13: Its great Dark magic is back but why is it a subsection of Anima magic, not just its own type, and why do Dark Mages lose Dark Magic when they promote to a DARK Knight, and why is there no light magic, would have been to hard to slap in a monk and a bishop class. Though I do like how there is diversity within Anima of the three types but they aren't a different weapon rank.

and why do Dark Mages lose Dark Magic when they promote to a DARK Knight

Frustrating as it is to lose something by promoting, it's because horse+swords on top of regular magic, of course. Horse+swords+dark magic would give you virtually zero incentive to ever promote to Sorcerer.

Frustrating as it is to lose something by promoting, it's because horse+swords on top of regular magic, of course. Horse+swords+dark magic would give you virtually zero incentive to ever promote to Sorcerer.

Yes there would be if they had Staves and better caps

Edited by weso12

@weso12

Shouzou Kaga is somewhat crazy. You can't really expect a good weapon system for FE1~5. It seems hat it took IS several installations to get the weapon system more or less fixed.

The lack of rank E dark tomes probably comes from the in-game setting that dark magic is difficult to learn. FE10's weapon rank system is completely messed up. They can't even get the weapon rank caps right. I think Discipline of Order sword generals have an axe rank of A.

There is no playable dark magic in FE11 and 12 (only enemies have those), which makes the existence of playable sorcerors weird. It is also from this stage that sorcerors are defined as mages with high defense.

I knew dark knights would not use dark magic before even trying. They should be given a less confusing name, like mage knight.

I can only hope that a few years from now, a hypothetical FE14 would reuse FE13 elements and put back what's missing, the most obvious of which being light magic.

Well I honestly don't care if there's no light magic. I never really used it that much. Mostly, I've just been training bishops for healing. Especially if they started out as Priests/Clerics, that way their staff ranks are high when they promote.