Ylisse...

Paper Jam

I'm not a huge fan of this current generation of country names (Ylisse, Plegia and Ferox I know FE rox!), but it's not a huge deal to me.

I dunno if pronounciation is a big deal. If it was, FE8's Renais would have been called Luness or something (although TBH Renais is pretty close to the Japanese).

I'm fine with the names, although I find the "rules" behind them weird, but acceptable. So far, names are renamed in two ways: (1) take the JP name and approximate a name for it (Vaike, Lon'qu, Ylisse...) and (2) rename it even though the original name will cause no confusion in English (Lissa, Emmeryn).

(1) is somewhat understandable, and (2) has been around in the series for as long as it has been localized.

Ferox does sound weird, though. It reminds me of the name Felix and the company FedEx.

Renais being transliterated to ルネス isn't strange at all. The result is that different versions call the same place, with the same spelling, with different pronunciations because English-speaking players wouldn't assume non-English pronunciations for an unknown-origin name.

Someone had to be VERY creative to come up with that spelling.

For goodness sake, "Iris" was on the artbook cover. I'm wondering why the creative spelling was necessary. *shrug*

I can't say I'm surprised that they changed Iris' name, since in English that word is pronounced "EYE-ris," but the country is supposed to be pronounced more like "EE-ris" according to the katakana.

Not a bad name change, IMO.

Just clarifying something.

イーリス(イリス、ギリシア語: Ἶρις)は、ギリシア神話に登場する虹の女神である。英語読みではアイリス(Iris)となる。

"In English, the pronunciation is A-i-ri-su."

Edited by shadowofchaos

I don't think Ylisse is a wierd name (its kinda close to Ulisse). I do like Ylisse.

(1) is somewhat understandable, and (2) has been around in the series for as long as it has been localized.

Ferox does sound weird, though. It reminds me of the name Felix and the company FedEx.

Ferox is a real word. I suppose that they might have rename it that Felia is almost similar without the "R" from the FE8 country from Magvel. ("Frelia")

I'm fine with the names, although I find the "rules" behind them weird, but acceptable. So far, names are renamed in two ways: (1) take the JP name and approximate a name for it (Vaike, Lon'qu, Ylisse...) and (2) rename it even though the original name will cause no confusion in English (Lissa, Emmeryn).

Localisation is about making the original work (in this case a game) work in the language it's being translated to. Remembering this makes (2) make more sense: e.g. in Chrono Trigger Ozzie, Slash and Flea had names that were food-themed ("Vinegar, Soysau, and Mayonnai," apparently) but someone decided that a popular music reference would be more appropriate in the west. Occasionally, though, names are deliberately made into something less sensical to fit with the fantasy setting: e.g. I think that "Diadora", a made-up name, is more appropriate for the mystery forest woman than the actually-real name "Dierdre".

I don't think Ylisse is a wierd name (its kinda close to Ulisse). I do like Ylisse.

That's what I was thinking. I also want to pronounce it like Ulisse.

Is Lon'Qu (or whatever it's written...) supposed to be astranger ? That goes well with the Asian Swordsman Topic...

Well, My only Problem is with Soiree really. I was really liking it. Strangely, it's the only name that sounds less weird on translation. B)

Edited by TendaSlime

I like the pronunciation more, but the spelling looks really weird.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, though. If anything, 'Elice' would cause confusion and 'Illisse' has too many straight lines in a row.

Edited by Iridium

If I could've picked the spelling, I would've went with Elysse.

Yeah I think Elysse would have looked better, I think it's the Y at the front of the word. It makes me think of slang like Y'know so it looks like it should be say "Yuhlise" ... Just 'feels' wrong to my eye. :-/

Edited by Hana

I like how 'Ylisse' sounds when its pronounced, although its spelling just seems...weird. I'll probably come to like it the more I hear how its pronounced ingame enough times.

Edited by Ace Tactician

I first read that as 'yes lise' O_o''

then upon closer, inspection I saw I was not right, I found the pronunciation rather easy (probably due to all the Ys I play)

it's not pretty to look at, for sure, but at least it sounds (somewhat)like the original

Edited by Soledai