If Fire Emblem was released outside of Japan from the begining,

secondworld

It could have turned out worse if that had happened.

Say nobody bought the first game. They decide to release the second game anyway, and nobody buys it, either. Maybe they'll try the third, but at this point, it's not very likely. In the end, we never get any of the other Fire Emblem games. Nobody ever really becomes a fan of the japan-exclusives, and nobody translates them over.

Another possibility. They release the games here, but it ends up being more popular here than in Japan, meaning they end up changing things to fit with what they think we want, but in the end, it doesn;t really fit any of the fans, and the series suffers for it. Maybe eventually it'll recover some, but it'll never be what it once was, or what it could have been.

Don't try to change the past, guys.

I would say not so well. People in the west were use to simply games Mario and sonic, an SRPG would be to hard for most people back then so many would not play it. The less people that play the less copies are bought. The reasons why the GBA FEs sold well was because people were use to RPGs and SRPGs.

It could have turned out worse if that had happened.

Say nobody bought the first game. They decide to release the second game anyway, and nobody buys it, either. Maybe they'll try the third, but at this point, it's not very likely. In the end, we never get any of the other Fire Emblem games. Nobody ever really becomes a fan of the japan-exclusives, and nobody translates them over.

Another possibility. They release the games here, but it ends up being more popular here than in Japan, meaning they end up changing things to fit with what they think we want, but in the end, it doesn;t really fit any of the fans, and the series suffers for it. Maybe eventually it'll recover some, but it'll never be what it once was, or what it could have been.

Don't try to change the past, guys.

Also, don't forget that some of the darker themes in earlier games (like FE4) would have been released in a time where their quality would have suffered for it, thanks to stuff like technical limitations in the localization, censorship, amongst other things... I agree, Fire Emblem probably benefitted from not being localized since the beginning.

What makes you think either of those scenarios would be likely?

It's not that those are likely. I was going to clarify this before, but I was being rushed out of the house the whole time I was typing. The point is, these are worst case scenarios (mostly the first), but there are still a lot of ways this could have damaged the series, and possibly killed it. There are also ways it could have made the series better, of course, but is it worth the risk?

Mostly, this was written as a cautionary tale against time travel. Just in case anybody reading this just happens to have a time machine, and some fancy ideas...

Also, don't forget that some of the darker themes in earlier games (like FE4) would have been released in a time where their quality would have suffered for it, thanks to stuff like technical limitations in the localization, censorship, amongst other things... I agree, Fire Emblem probably benefitted from not being localized since the beginning.

I don't really see removing elements such as the gratuitous incest in FE4 as making the game worse.

How would changing the script prevent you from making two characters from the same family marry each other in the second half of the game?

All you were talking about was the cousins bullshit? That's nothing.

EDIT: I was under the impression that we were talking about the actual, canonical incest.

Edited by Integrity

All you were talking about was the cousins bullshit? That's nothing.

EDIT: I was under the impression that we were talking about the actual, canonical incest.

I was under the impression that Anouleth was talking about the cousins thing.

How would they even do that?

1. Split Cigyun into two characters that mother Diadora and Alvis respectively: they would have to be descendants of Maira, but they can be distant cousins.

2. Clarify that Sylvia is a distant cousin of Claude, and that Ira is a distant cousin of Holyn.

3. Reduce the love growth of Patty/Lester, Faval/Lana, Nanna/Aless and Lakche/Shanan to zero.

4. Remove mentions of incest between Eltoshan and Lachesis, and also Julia and Celice.

Very simple. The only thing that this doesn't cover is the possibility of pairing Lex's daughter with Johan or Johalva, which would require something a bit more complicated than rewriting text (which you're doing anyway) or changing specific numbers in the code (which even I could do with Nightmare).

Couldn't you just call Johan/alva something not Lex's direct nephews to subvert that? The Neir family isn't a one-line tree.

Just take it back a generation and make them Lex's cousin's kids.

Couldn't you just call Johan/alva something not Lex's direct nephews to subvert that? The Neir family isn't a one-line tree.

Just take it back a generation and make them Lex's cousin's kids.

Well, I'd rather not mess with the trees more than I have to. Lex's daughter isn't quite a first cousin to Johan/lva anyway, since Lex and Danan are only half-brothers rather than full siblings. Since they only share one grandparent, I think it's fair to say that they're practically second cousins anyway.

TBH I wouldn't mind that too much, it's nothing too bad.

Plus, imagine how much of a shock Sigurd's death would have been back then, that would have left such a huge mark for US RPG's at the time.

Edited by Esaka

2. Clarify that Sylvia is a distant cousin of Claude, and that Ira is a distant cousin of Holyn.

Wasn't that mentioned in the game?

3. Reduce the love growth of Patty/Lester, Faval/Lana, Nanna/Aless and Lakche/Shanan to zero.

Why? Since when is marrying cousins incest?

4. Remove mentions of incest between Eltoshan and Lachesis, and also Julia and Celice.

Lachesis can still admire him imo, without the incest mentions. YuriaxCelice is a pairing I ship but, yeah, makes no sense, so I'd rather it'd be taken off.

I'm pretty sure first cousin incest is illegal in the U.S., at least.

I see how you could technically write the incest out, but I'm not sure how the whole "preserving the holy power of the bloodline" thing could be replaced and still have the same impact. I mean you could technically make it about something else entirely, but I don't understand yet how the whole plot wouldn't be radically different. I assumed one of the themes of the game was actually pretty anti-incest, in that manipulating people into love, and just people falling in love without caring what happens, can have disastrous consequences.

But I guess if the translation didn't really care as long as the subject was changed, there's nothing that would've really made the game unreleasable if they changed the story.

Edited by Rehab

I'd like to think it means we'd be more accepting of name localizations, but who knows.

I'm pretty sure first cousin incest is illegal in the U.S., at least.

First cousin marriage is actually legal in about 25 states, depending on circumstances. Note, of course, that this is twice as many states as allow same-sex marriage... oh, and a stipulation in a few of them is that they can only marry if they can't have children. I am laughing on the outside, crying inside. All but three states will recognize it, however.

Intercourse between them is only illegal in seven states - Kentucky, Mississippi, the Dakotas, Texas, Utah, and Nevada.

Edited by Iridium

I would say not so well. People in the west were use to simply games Mario and sonic, an SRPG would be to hard for most people back then so many would not play it. The less people that play the less copies are bought. The reasons why the GBA FEs sold well was because people were use to RPGs and SRPGs.

Actually, this is flat out wrong. This was the age of the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior, both did pretty well in the U.S., not to mention early WRPGs like Ultima those first 2 games were inspired by in the first place. Not to mention, XCOM came out in 1994 which was a SRPG about as difficult as FE, which is still considered one of the best games of the genre. So, it's not like the west was unfamilar with RPGs.

Really, the biggest thing that would have hurt FE1's sales was that it came very late in the NES' life cycle, right around when the SNES started to pick up steam.

Also, the reason why the GBA games sold well was because of the hype generated by SSBM, and the fact that they were finely designed games.