Rate the Unit: Chess Edition, Day 1: Pawn

secondworld

Rules(I don't think this has ever been done with chess, if you think something about the rules should be changed, please tell me about it)

- Votes need some explanation regarding their gameplay performance to be counted. If somebody else said what you want to already, quote them explicitly.

+/- ≤1 point extra for bias is encouraged, but no more. If you exercise your bias privileges, please do so explicitly. Also, if your vote is already a 10/10 or greater than 9 and you give a full point of bias, The score may not exceed 10!

- Numerical votes out of 10. Make it easy to calculate for me.

- Every ranking phase starts as soon as each topic is posted, it's 12:30 AM where I am when I post this, every ranking phase ends 20 hours after I post.

- I withhold the privilege to tell you your rating is bogus and demand you revise it if it breaks any of the above. I will not throw out votes anonymously, you will be informed and given a chance to revise.

EDIT:

- when rating a unit, keep in mind the amount of that unit you have

ANOTHER EDIT:

- You can have a rating considering the above, and a second rating for the unit on it's own. I will make two separate lists of averages.

Edited by RayDavid99

Starts off hideously weak, but is capable of creating minor chokepoints. These can hurt your strategies as well, though, if you don't plan well. They're really good when they promote, but, I mean, half of your other pieces are already at that level when the game begins anyway, and it will probably take most of the game to train them that high. They've also got the en passant skill, but that's largely pretty pointless.

Still, if you manage to lose your Queen or a Rook, you can fall back on them, I guess... not really reliably, though, since they tend to get screwed before promotion.

3/10, and that's with +0.5 bias because those round tops are pretty hot and they have a comparatively interesting backstory.

what the fuck is this

1.5/10

too much effort to baby, but can become a potential queen. kinda like the nino of chess.

I have added something new to the rules.

I could be completely wrong here(knowing me, I probably am), but I'm not sure if you took this into account.

I for one have always found pawns to be pretty useful because of how many you get.(and the zig-zag formation you can make with them)

If you really think pawns still deserve that low of a score, just ignore this post.

Edited by RayDavid99

6/10

You start off with a bunch, and they form the early game defense. They can also be used to cover mid-tier units. For example covering a bishop/rook that advances on a queen; you know they won't take the mid unit because you can take their queen next turn. Also they tend to get promoted late game. It is very rare to lose all your pawns in the early/mid game, because of their numbers.

If you don't know how to use your pawns effectively, you're gonna have a bad time.

Off topic: there aren't really any bad units in chess, they all have important roles imo.

Edited by redturtle806

Maybe I rated them a BIT too low. I just always had trouble raising them, and they always got screwed by the ChessNG. I do realize how good they are in efficiency games, but I usually play casually.

I'm bumping the score up to 6.5.

Edited by ZeeEmm456

That changes things quite a bit, then.

8/10. As a whole, they are excellent at preventing people from stealing my good pieces too early on.

Edited by Iridium

8/10

They start out great and allow your other units to work efficiently. Also you don't really want to be forked by a pawn.

During mid-game they can't really do much and moving them feels like wasting a turn, but by end-game they become your most important piece if you use to play aggresively and make lots of exchanges. Promoting into a queen almost always means victory.

Edited by Mihawk

Pawns are generally the backbone of a good strategy. As a rule of thumb you always want to try and develop your back pieces to free them up, but you can really tell the difference between a newbie and a pro by how they use their pawns.

Pawns are generally the backbone of a good strategy. As a rule of thumb you always want to try and develop your back pieces to free them up, but you can really tell the difference between a newbie and a pro by how they use their pawns.

I need a score.

May not seem like much but they are key to winning games.

10/10

Quantity is quality.

I don't think think this will work as every piece is essential in some way. You could give them all 10/10 and it wouldn't be incorrect.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker