FE Awakening now has an eShop Entry

Jave

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, my name is "find"!

....No.

Hello, my name is "Heather"! Like the plant!

EDIT: Explaining it probably ruined it. Oh well.

Edited by Integrity

Hello, my name is I love you!

Why are people complaining about this.

Because "Cherche" is an awfully common word that doesn't sound like a name. I know there are common words that are used as names (Lance, Mist...), but in this case here, I guess I'm not mentally ready.

Because "Cherche" is an awfully common word that doesn't sound like a name. I know there are common words that are used as names (Lance, Mist...), but in this case here, I guess I'm not mentally ready.

Do you flinch the every single time the Japanese like doing the exact same thing with German words? I'm modestly fluent in German, and it's never bothered me.

This just seems like a really incredibly petty line of reasoning. "It's a word that's not a common name so it can't be a name!"

Do you flinch the every single time the Japanese like doing the exact same thing with German words? I'm modestly fluent in German, and it's never bothered me.

This just seems like a really incredibly petty line of reasoning. "It's a word that's not a common name so it can't be a name!"

you only say that because your name is Integrity

RE: Grimleal

Well, that's two English words put together, I'll say that much, though decidedly odd looking, considering they're both adjectives. I've been good about not spoiling this game's plot and background information for myself, but I'll risk it here: are 'The Grimleal' a group of people that are loyal to some sinister cause, as the name would imply? Or is it something else entirely?

RE: Cherche

I like it. Serge is a masculine name, and it always reminds me of this guy here:

:Savard_Serge_1.jpg

Incidentally, this same fellow would probably find the name 'Cherche' to be rather amusing due to what it means in his mother tongue.

EDIT: 'Serge' is indeed a fully masculine name, not unisex

Edited by simmeh

Relax, about the downloadable game.

If Nintendo made a downloadable version of Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask, despite it not being initially available as such in Japan because it was released before NSMB2, they're gonna make one for Fire Emblem Awakening.

I like it. I realize that Serge is a unisex name, but it always reminds me of this guy here:

Okay, seriously, what makes you think Serge is a unisex name? The other dude I asked in this thread never responded.

^ Oh yeah. Forgot you asked me that. My bad.

Well, I simply assumed that since she had that name, it could probably apply both ways to guys and girls. An assumption isn't exactly much to go off of, though. But the name did make sense. In French, Serge means "moving forward," and in Latin, Serge means "servant." It does slightly represent her from before the game started, seeing as she was one of Viole's vassals in Warm.

But eh, I guess it doesn't really apply as much of a girl's name, even if it was pronounced in a different way. And now that she was renamed "Cherche," it doesn't even matter anymore. ._.

Edited by Karaszure

Okay, seriously, what makes you think Serge is a unisex name? The other dude I asked in this thread never responded.

More than one person has told me that it is. I didn't have any reason to doubt them so I never bothered to look any further. Your query did make me check into it though. I found that Serge, along with all its variants (Sergei, Sergey, Sergio, Sergius, etc.), is indeed masculine, and there doesn't even appear to be a feminine form (i.e. Danielle vice Daniel).

So, I guess there really was a good reason for renaming the character.

^ Oh yeah. Forgot you asked me that. My bad.

Well, I simply assumed that since she had that name, it could probably apply both ways to guys and girls. An assumption isn't exactly much to go off of, though. But the name did make sense. In French, Serge means "moving forward," and in Latin, Serge means "servant." It does slightly represent her from before the game started, seeing as she was one of Viole's vassals in Warm.

But eh, I guess it doesn't really apply as much of a girl's name, even if it was pronounced in a different way. And now that she was renamed "Cherche," it doesn't even matter anymore. ._.

If you want to get lovely and fun, her name is セルジュ. To put it in such a way, Misha (this also applies to Sasha) is a diminutive of a dude's name in its native culture, but is used primarily as a girl's name (or tending unisex) in at least America. Thus, if we transliterated some chick's name (say from fe5) as Misha, it doesn't really matter that the original is a dude's name - what matters is the contemporary and relevant notion that Misha is a girl's/unisex name.

Serge (or the thing phonically represented as Serge) means relatively nothing to the Japanese, but it's established as a dude's name in these localities, ergo for the purposes of this translation it *is* a dude's name for us and it's not a name people commonly have either way over there, so the stigma isn't as strongly attached.

tl;dr: serge isn't a girl's name just because the silly japanese liked it and katakanified it for a girl

EDIT:

More than one person has told me that it is. I didn't have any reason to doubt them so I never bothered to look any further. Your query did make me check into it though. I found that Serge, along with all its variants (Sergei, Sergey, Sergio, Sergius, etc.), is indeed masculine, and there doesn't even appear to be a feminine form (i.e. Danielle vice Daniel).

So, I guess there really was a good reason for renaming the character.

The one person I live with who really, really, really sperges over names assures me that Serge is exclusively masculine, the one guy I know who lives in Quebec has never known a woman to be called Serge, and a cursory search of the Internet reveals not a single woman named Serge. I honestly don't know what your sources were thinking.

Edited by Integrity

Well, i live in South America and there's a variant for both males and females of the name.

Males are Sérgio and females are Sérgia.

I went to Wikipedia and found the following :

''Serge is a male given name, particularly common in France, Belgium; as Sérgio in Portugal and Brazil, as Sergi in Catalonia, as Sergiu in Romania, and as Sergio in Italy, Spain and Spanish-speaking Latin America. The less common female version is Sergine. The name originates from the Roman nomen (patrician family name) Sergius, and this from a more ancient Etruscan name.

The Armenian male given name Sarkis, is believed to have descended from Sergius, a variant of Serge.

Сергей (transliteration: Sergey or Sergei Russian pronunciation: [sʲɪrˈɡʲej]), is a male given name, very common in Russia because of the popularity of the Russian Orthodox saint Sergius of Radonezh. It is also used in Bulgaria. There is no corresponding female version of this name. The diminutive form of this name is Серёжа (transliteration: Seryozha Russian pronunciation: [sʲɪˈrʲɵʐə]).

Why does a name in a fantasy world have to have a real world equivalent in some country or another?

It doesn't. Made-up fantasy names aren't subject to the same rules. It's just generally good prudence to not give a girl a real-life dude's name (or vice versa) unless there's some reason for it.

The one person I live with who really, really, really sperges over names assures me that Serge is exclusively masculine, the one guy I know who lives in Quebec has never known a woman to be called Serge, and a cursory search of the Internet reveals not a single woman named Serge. I honestly don't know what your sources were thinking.

Me neither, to be honest. But as I said, I wasn't going to make an issue of it. If they were right, the name would probably have remained as 'Serge' and no one would have noticed. As they are are wrong, the name was changed for the better and people who complain about it are left without much of an argument.

Now then, I'm going to have to ask my acquaintances why they told me Serge was a unisex name. Or maybe I won't, considering that they're also Quebecois and experience has taught me to just nod and smile when a francophone says something you don't quite understand.

There is a lot of precedent for names in virtually every language to occasionally be a very common word. This is especially true of names used in English that were originally from other languages. I wouldn't worry, I doubt she will remain with the name 'Cherche' pour La Traduction Francais.

Edited by CinderSkye

It's not all that common in English

Umm... I'd say "Gimlé" makes more sense, referring to, you know, the mythological Gimlé.

But the mythological Gimlé is supposed to be a good thing, this Gimle is decidedly not. Changing it to Grimle may be to emphasize his evilness.

RE: Grimleal

Well, that's two English words put together, I'll say that much, though decidedly odd looking, considering their both adjectives. I've been good about not spoiling this game's plot and background information for myself, but I'll risk it here: are 'The Grimleal' a group of people that are loyal to some sinister cause, as the name would imply? Or is it something else entirely?

In Japanese the chapter is called "Servants of the Evil Dragon"

Serge reminds me of the guy of Chrono Cross.

Or Radical Dreamer.

Kid : F@%k, Serge

I wanted her to be called Sarge...

tumblr_lbl9cvpDbV1qzdsiio1_500.jpg

You know, I wasn't particulary interrested by a pairing with her, but now I have to mary her with my MU named "Trouve".

The other choices are perfectly OK with me.

By the way, I just checked the e-Shop on Fire Emblem: Awakening and the second video has been added which its the same from the official site. (but its the same one with some of them that is a little different from the October 25th)